Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - Renegade - 01-01-13
Went to Renegade this morning with my wife and a friend. We drove the road on Snowmobiles. Arrived at the jump off point (unload point) at 7 am. It was 0 degrees. After unloading the snow mobiles and getting them stuck and unstuck, we finally got underway and arrived at Renegade around 9 am. The road is groomed and in good shape for snowmobile and atv. Long 7 mile trip when it is 0 degrees. We were the first to arrive. We went out from the ramp about 100 yards and fished in 20 feet of water. There were areas of slush around us, but where we setup, we were slush free. We had over 6 inches of ice, closer to 8 at our location. Some other guys drove up an hour or so later and found slush at their location. We drove out onto the ice and parked next to our tents. They fell through the slush and decided to park on the ramp. I was amazed that with the whole area open and no one around except another group of 3 a few hundred yards to the north of us, they had to pull within a few feet of us and park and then setup to fish. I walked out of my tent and asked if we were in the hot spot or if they just liked to fish on top of others. They were a little dumb founded and didn't know what to say except to point to the south of us and note they were setting up there. Amazing that you can travel 7 miles to get away from people and then someone else shows up and wants to setup camp on top of you with the entire bay empty. You can see their tent in the background of the picture. This was after they moved to their second location (north of us) and setup their tent. They were closer when they were at their first location.

Anywho, we stayed till 1 and then left. My wife caught 9 and I caught 9. All cutts, 3 under the slot, the rest in the slott. We arrived a couple of hours late and missed the best part of the bite, but still did okay. Nite crawlers on a red ratfinkie was the best till the bite ended. Then a Wadda-Cricket tipped with a nite crawler brought them back in and we caught a few more. All in all, a great day, sunny, bright and cold. I think the temp was about 10 degrees when we left after loading up the snow mobiles.
[signature]
I went up to the ladder and strawberry bay today. The ladders sucked, ONE person got a fish in 3 hours[Image: sad.gif]
At strawberry bay, people around us had a lot of luck, but we didn't.[Image: sad.gif] You are pretty lucky.[Image: bobmad.gif]
[signature]
I don't think it is a matter of luck as much as it is a matter of having the right equipment. I got skunked last year for the first time in over 7 years of ice fishing. We traveled to Starvation and I forgot to take the Vexilar fish finders. All 3 of us (my wife, son and I) didn't even get a bite. Knowing the fish are there allows you to give the right presentation. We have always found fish everywhere we have fished. Sometimes they don't want to bite, but as I mentioned, if you know they are there, it is just a matter of giving the right presentation at the correct depth. Eventually, one will and always does take it. Today was no different. We seldom move once we get the tent setup. Some people move around drilling holes until they find fish, then they setup. I look for depth (20 feet). As previously mentioned, the fish always show up sooner or later. Strawberry has alway been a morning lake. You have to be on the ice by sunup and the bite begins to slow considerably by 10 a.m. and generally shuts down around 11 a.m. You will get a few stragglers, after that time, but you really have to work for them. At least, this has been my experience. Others may have found it different, but this has always been very consistant for me and my style of ice fishing.
[signature]
Nice update.. I hat when people think they have to fish next to you when no one else is around.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I noticed that you guys did not drive across the lake. Was it too much slush in the middle or do you just like driving around the road? I got stuck out the middle last year a couple of times with the slush monster on my sled.[pirate][pirate] so I just kinda curious. Thanks
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
[quote fishing4thehog]Thanks for the report. I noticed that you guys did not drive across the lake. Was it too much slush in the middle or do you just like driving around the road? I got stuck out the middle last year a couple of times with the slush monster on my sled.[pirate][pirate] so I just kinda curious. Thanks[/quote]

I posted on this 2 days ago but I saw a four-wheeler go in the lake New Years Eve going across from the lodge. Early ice is always sketchy. Ice where we fished was only 2-2.5 inches thick, near where they went in. Lots of different ice thicknesses and snow across all of it. I wouldn't have chanced it on early ice either.
[signature]
I'll give it about another week then head out.. Thanks
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
bowdude people like to fish by other people for some damn reason!! I guess they think since you are fishing there, that's where the fish are. I try to get away from others on the ice.That happens to me often, i will walk or ride along way from others and sooner or later someone sets up right next to you.
[signature]
We drove the road because we just wanted to go for a ride on the sleds and it was a nice morning (even though it was cold). After a snow storm, you just never know what kind of slush you will find, and a snowmobile stuck in slush is more of a workout than I am wanting to have. I'd rather someone else blaze the first trail and then I will follow in their tracks. That way I know what I am up against. My wife and I are not as young as we once were. (sounds like a song I once heard). I am 59 next month and my wife is 56. My fishing partner that went with us is 69. We've learned to act and think like grandpa's and grandma's not young reckless kids anymore.
[signature]