Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordenelle?
How is the ice on Jordanelle? I got some new toys and would like to take my son ice fishing, don't mind the drive to Strawberry but it would be better for us if we fished a little closer to home.
We are also new to Northern Utah so any tips would help out if possible. would like to get my son on a bunch of perch and possibly catch some trout as well.

Thanks,
[signature]
Drove past the lake on Saturday and its still all open water... No ice
[signature]
Thank you! looks like Strawberry it is!!
[signature]
Good luck!
[signature]
Jordenelle was open water in the middle, but on the shore maybe 20 feet out is ice don't really know the thickness. It is one of the last lakes to freeze though. And strawberry fishing isn't that good in super cold weather so go on a day it is supposed to be 16 degrees or higher
[signature]
i hit jordanelle on new yrs day from about 12:30pm - 4:30pm/ the cove just to the north of the main fee area/boat launch at the mayflower exit off hwy 40. snow- shoed down from a back road.

the entire cove was ice, only 3 inches, but solid and didn't crack when walking, half inch of snow on top. not a soul in sight- i loved it!

i first wasted an hour or so working a small area at the inlet to the cove in open water, but they were dinks so i hit the ice.

fished the bottom in 10 ft. missed first bite while on my phone. moved out to 20 ft. fishing the bottom, no bites. moved back in to 10-12 ft. got a bite while suspended halfway up and lightly jigging a chartreuse jig head/white body tipped with worm and a small kastmaster 12" above-pulled in a chubby 16 inch bow.

i was about to leave when i caught the bow, (which explains being halfway up and playing with the jig) so i stayed another 20min or so to miss two more bites. i found that you need to let them bite on it a little before you set, i tend to get carried away durring bites...i plan to go back soon! i usually fish the north end from the hwy going to kamas, but it was all open water. it is a bit of a walk also and i usually end up using the snow shoes. i posted this 2 nites ago but had probs. with my net connection...sorry bout that!
[signature]
ISDA
The warrior princess and I took the day after New Years off as she wanted to fish AF harbor. The air was so bad we decided to check out higher lakes. Pulled into Charleston park at Deer Creek and could not believe the walk to quetionable ice. Could see Duck dog and party by the tracks. Left for Rock cliff and passed a flock of about 20 wild turkeys about a mile before the junction. Anyhow when we arrived at Rock Cliff you could not see the lake from the small boat launch. I drove down the launch and followed the old road on the lake bottom for about a mile. I have a dually 4 wheel drive and did not want to bury it so we unloaded and drug the sled another 1/4\ mile. Ice stretched out across the bay and extended about 200 yards downlake. Thickness average 6 1/2" fished from 6' to about 12' deep. Caught a couple of planters so we were not skunked. Fished from 1:30 in afternoon to 3:30 so did not expect much. Drove by Rockport on the way home and it is completley capped with one tent on the east side by twin coves and one on the west. Did not check ice or catching conditions. If you could take a 4 wheeler on Deer Creek it is feasable.If you have 4 wheel drive you can fish Rock cliff. I do not remeber the walk to the ice being so long. Did they move the parking area? This is perhaps the lowest I have seen the reservoirs since 1982.
[signature]