Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass Fishing in Cache Valley
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and forums and new to cache valley. I grew up in salt lake fishing for trout from a boat, but now am in cache valley looking to spread my wings and fish mostly bass from the shore, am also interested in muskie too. Any tips on where to go within like 30-45 minutes of cache valley and where exactly on the lakes/reservoirs are good fishin' spots from the shore and what months are good as well. And thank you in advance for any tips/pointers.
[signature]
Welcome to the site, and to happy valley.

You'll find some bass can be pretty tight lipped and some bass fisherman even more so.
Gonna be a little while until you'll be doing much shore fishing, at least on the lakes. But there's some good opportunity for large and smallmouth around.

Hyrum, Newton, Mantua all have bass - largemouth. The Bear River and Cutler - you can find both largies and smallies.
There's some places I've lucked into some, but I'm not going to post up GPS marks. BUT - be glad to meet up and show you when open waters return.
if you do a search on "Bear" you're likely to run across some of my posts from the past summer - bass, crappie, catfish, carp - probably my best year for bass and crappie. Fun tugs! Can beat a good curly tail.

Custom Sports up in Hyde Park (left at the light as you head north) has some great jigs and platics.

For now - it's ice fishing time! But (as you can see in my avatar pic) you can ice a nice bass once in a while (Mantua - 17")
I think if you watch the posts here and check out the Idaho forum as well and watch the Preston area, you'll see some good spots show up... With bass, the boats and toons are sometimes better, but I think you will still be able to find them... Keep in touch and in the spring things will pick up again... We did get a few mini's through the ice last week at Newton, but they were bait size... Welcome to the forum... J
[signature]
I used to live in Cache Valley, and I caught my first ever Largemouth Bass from the shore at Mantua. Go there in late May before the weeds get bad and you just might do okay [Wink]
[signature]
[inline OBI.jpg]
These are not the bass you are looking for.
[signature]
Cache Valley is a good place to live if you want to get into bass fishing. There are numerous reservoirs with bass in the area. As far as where to fish them, they are all fairly small, so just do some research and learn to read the water. Look for flooded brush, weedlines, points, dropoffs, typical bass locations. You can catch them on a wide variety of techniques depending on their mood. Last year they got active in early April, but May is more typical, so it will be a little while still.
[signature]
There is also Willard bay. Wiper fishing is fun when you get a bigun on.
[signature]
yuuuup - they are Bass after all! Freight trains at that!

They also have smallmouth there. Don't think there's largies in Willard?

And yeah - it's another state and all, but lots of lakes around the Preston area - these guys have impressed the carp out of me with the bully-bass they've landed! But really - about as close as Mantua from Logan.
Just have to see what - if anything survives this past low water year.
Spring Bass'n can be a blast. Some areas below Cutler along the Bear have been fun for both spring kitties and bass, potential for sunfish, walleye, crappie too.

[inline Phatties.jpg]

[inline "Smallie on a Twistie.jpg"]

[inline "Crappie Hits It.jpg"]
willard does have largies, biggest i have seen was around 3lbs maybe 16-17" but well fed also have seen some 5lb smallies as well. my biggest was about 18" and super chunky
[signature]
Other than Condie, I think the other lakes will be okay. I know at least one of them received a huge influx of water in October that brought the water up more than ten feet above what it was. The others I fished all had water over 10 feet deep, so I think survival will be okay. I hope so, I'm already day dreaming about tossing soft jerkbaits into the flooded trees in the spring. Fun stuff.
[signature]
Wow! I didn't think my post would get near this much attention! Thank you everyone for your insights and tips! I really appreciate it!
[signature]