Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musky fishing questions...
what kind of leaders are used? do i fish cover or find baitfish? shallow water or deep? will be fishing from shore, off of rip-rap and from wooded banks.

thank you all for any help. will be my first time fishing for musky.[fishin]
[signature]
Like you, Muskie is on my list of fish I would love to catch and I have yet to go after them. So although I don't have the answers you can try the BFT Articles section below until some of the other members here give you the lowdown:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/fishing_articles/Freshwater_Fishing_Articles/Musky___Pike_Fishing/index.html"]Musky & Pike Fishing Articles[/url]

Good Luck and we'll look forward to checking out your Musky Pic's and reports!!!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
i build my own leaders out of 80# flourocarbon and use crimps to attach my swivels etc. 80# has worked flawlessly, if you have any more questions feel free to pm me
[signature]
i like that idea better than steel leaders. thanks.[fishin]
[signature]
that is a good idea and i will look. found a nice article about musky fishing in a local river, mud river,wv. has a few areas where a person can fish from the banks. hope to try this week if i can find some lures around here. am going to try a 9" musky magnet when it gets here.[fishin]
[signature]
Using any leader short of steel will eventually cost you that big one you finally get a hook into. And the new, knotable, 27-strand stainless material like Tygerwire and American Leader wire, are easy to use and even less visible than any heavy mono. Not intending to make a shameless plug, but everything you need to know is in my book, Toothy Critters Love Flies (Amazon), including great fly patterns, honed over 25 years of fly-fishing for pike & musky.
[signature]
i do not fly fish.
[signature]
Okay. The Tygerwire, etc. leaders are still best. You can use small crimp sleeves, or just knot on a swivel and snap clip. A simple clinch knot works fine. Better than store-bought, heavy wire leaders, and I guarantee you'll lose a trophy some day using any kind of mono, no matter how heavy.
[signature]
i know many guys who run flourocarbon 100# plus and have no issues, i have a buddy who had a 100# flourocarbon leader on when he hooked a musky and the 'ski bit the bait and got the leader, the leader rubbed against the teeth and only peeled some of it back, fish was landed and leader was retired... i agree strand will more than likely will be more than enough but I am a believer in 80# + flourocarbon leaders

toothy critter is good never used much else
[signature]
thank you all for the info. i will try both and see. not looking for a mount but do look for citation size fish to c & r. [fishin]

problem now is finding lures localy.

again, thank you all. you have saved me time,money and lost fish.

td
[signature]