Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's using 3 fly's?
Now that we can throw 3 flies I'm interested in trying it out... Although I can see tangles for miles with 3 flies going through the air! I'm thinking this is a roll cast type set up. Anybody trying it out? Best set ups?
[signature]
I've been inadveRtantly fishing three flies for years. I had no idea until recently that it was a no-no. My favorite setup is a bigger nymph or glow bug to get their attention, then a hatch-match nymph, and an emerger on the end. I gink up the emerger and catch a lot of fish on this setup.

I fish dries the same way. Big fly that I can see, itty-bitty fly, then an emerger or small nymph. Money.
[signature]
You still fly fish?[Wink] kidding ya man. But, you are full of surprises.
[signature]
I'm trying to find an effective "Senko" pattern to tie, but it's just this side of difficult. I actually have one that I pulled out of my arse and kinda have a feeling that MAYBE it might work. On a really stupid fish.

I plan on finding Mr. Stupid Fish this spring.
[signature]
I would say a bunny strip or Marabou softhackle style. You are talking about the worm. right?
[signature]
I'm looking forward to messing with it... I hear about the same set up with a smaller midge pattern right now as the bottom fly. Do fish the emerger under water? What's the purpose of of ginking it?
[signature]
i have been doing it for years in ID and CO while still water fishing. its not difficult at all
[signature]
I only used the five flies in Idaho on a Wash line, something we never got to do with you however.
I do use three flies occasionally in Idaho, but basically stuck with two and two pole permit.
Sometimes more is not better.
Three for trolling or deep nymphing will definitely help you find the feeding zone.

I also like the three for rivers as in what Dave mentioned. I fish a lot of #26 and smaller dries and the fish do take them, but putting a larger fly in front is popular practice, but now you will also be able to add that nymph too.

My fav is Dry to WD40 or similar to a #26 Midge pupa (or Zebra).
Or use an indy and run a PT, Prince, Copper John, Haresear (any two) then a egg or worm.
Awe the combinations are endless, just don't forget the mess one got with two flies though, specially on windy days...[Wink][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
my fav setup goes like this:

blood midge or san juan on top, your green buzzer in the middle, and something i can change all day long.... typically its black/white, then black.red/then tan/white, etc.
[signature]
You can change them all with the use of Tags which I prefer. Never been one to like tying off the bend which is not to say I don't do it.
[signature]
Check this fly out then http://www.taneycomotrout.com/howtotiegulleyworm.html
[signature]
Great looking fly. I tie a worm out of trimmed Rabbit Strip or even shammy and add the teardrop piece of foam. So the tail floats. It is an older pattern.

http://www.theflyfishers.com/fly-shop-de...35&pID=527

Another play on that fly and looks like one Dave uses. A stinger hook added

[Image: img42408fd37b4bd.jpg]

Oh, and still counts as ONE fly.
[signature]
^ ^ Nice!

I was totally farting around when I tied my first one, and put a painted red bead instead of eyes, and a touch of red chenille. Black and purple chenille wrapped around 15lb (I think) mono and a stinger. I put a little dab of marabou on the end of the stinger just for funsies. Carp slayer if ever I saw one.

[Image: carpfly.jpg]

Even picked up a small bass:

[Image: bassfly.jpg]

I like those foam tipped worms, but what I'm trying to figure out is a style that works/moves like a Senko. I'm having little to no luck, however. Idea's?
[signature]
[quote kochanut]my fav setup goes like this:

blood midge or san juan on top, your green buzzer in the middle, and something i can change all day long.... typically its black/white, then black.red/then tan/white, etc.[/quote] this is similar to the set up I have tried... But I will do a larger beadhead up top and the worm in the middle. No wicked tangles yet but im sure it's coming!
[signature]
Not sure the effect you are looking for Dave, but it has got to be achievable. Is that the double hook (stinger) fly in you picture?
[signature]
How long are the tags and are they all the same or varied in length? I use a dropper knot ot form the tags but I may be too long (6-8 inches).
[signature]
I don't think they are too short. I generally go 10" till I find the right fly combination. (longer so I can change out a few times) But shorter means less tangling.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]You can change them all with the use of Tags which I prefer. Never been one to like tying off the bend which is not to say I don't do it.[/quote]. How do you tie the tags? I was shown once but it's been so long I don't remember... I typically stick with tying off the bends so I'd like to try something different
[signature]
I tie tags on with a double or a triple Surgeon's Knot. I still use my furled leaders though. I use a 5' leader and attach 4 to 5 feet of tippet. If I use split shot, I attach it to the end of the tippet. I then attack 8" to 12" tags every foot or so up the tippet.

But, If I am fishing a dry/dropper, I attach the tippet to the furled leader ring leaving a 12" to 18" tag at the ring. I attach the dry to that then on the tippet I attach a tag for one nymph/emerger/dry and another nymph/pupa/small bugger on the end.

Size of the submerged flies depends on the size of the dry.
[signature]