Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake 1/5/13
Fished Fish Lake with a fellow BFTer on Saturday. Parked at Lakeside Boat ramp and walked out on the ice. First stop was for perch (a few for me for bait) and a few for Barry for bait and for a meal later. I don't think it would be possible for the catching to have been any faster. They would even come up about 10' from the bottom chasing a jig.

Moved out into deeper water (I was fishing 47 feet and Barry was a little shallower). If I dropped down 15' it was almost non-stop action for rainbows (a little larger than has been typical at Fish Lake through the ice) and an occasional splake. If I dropped down deeper it was a little slower but consistent action for mostly splake and an occasional rainbow.

Fished the bottom hoping to catch a decent mack. Snapped a knot on a solid hook set [frown] (reminder to self to retie knots that have been tied previously). Landed a pup that was right at 25".

Weather couldn't have been better (22 degrees when we arrived and only a slight breeze later) and solid ice of about 6 or 7" with just about 1/2 inch of crusty snow on top, which was perfect walking conditions.

Great day to get out with a fellow angler.
[signature]
What were you using? You tend to be a tube jig fanatic, so that's what I'm guessing. Tipped with...mmm...sucker meat and meal worms for the non-perch and crawlers for the perch. Was I correct?[:p]

Headed down in 3 weeks. Hope to hit the east side pretty hard this time.
[signature]

Did you happen to see any machines on the ice? Also how much snow was in the parking areas?
[signature]
RE"Great day to get out with a fellow angler."

Yes, it was. Not much more to say. I love that place. Couldn't ask for a better day or better action.

As for what we were using, I doubt the perch are the least bit picky, but I used mealworms on a rat finkie for them. The bows absolutely hammered the same rig as the perch and the splake were partial to a maniac cutter bug with perch meat. I went completely through 2 full perch using small amounts when catching the splake (a few bows too). I'll let Kent share what he used for the macs if he wishes. The only pup I got yesterday was about 8 inches, and I don't think that is too interesting to most of you.
[signature]
[quote MrLipripper]

What were you using? You tend to be a tube jig fanatic, so that's what I'm guessing. Tipped with...mmm...sucker meat and meal worms for the non-perch and crawlers for the perch. Was I correct?[:p]

[/quote]

Partially correct. I used a white tube jig for awhile but changed to sort of Marabou jig with a plastic body in green and black. Most of the time, I also had a Kastmaster above my jig. I tipped with red-sided shiner, meal worms, night crawlers and perch meat -- in that order. Not sure what I do wrong done there, but I only caught one fish on perch meat. As far as what I used for perch, I believe I used meal worms (but could have sneaked a crawler in there). Anything would have worked for the perch and I only care about catching a couple for bait.

For mack fishing, the break off was on a Radical Glow blue tube jig and I landed the one (and several larger splake) on tube/minnow type jigs in off white and a green/black one. Always tipped these with red sided shiners.
[signature]
[quote SEETSNFR]

Did you happen to see any machines on the ice? Also how much snow was in the parking areas?

[/quote]

Didn't see any but they would have been plenty safe where we were. Almost zero snow in the parking lot.
[signature]
Thanks a ton for the info, glad to hear there is some safe ice starting there!
[signature]
I was south of the lodge and saw two guys on one big wheeler head east across to the opposite side. I assume they made it. I could hear their engine for quite a while.
[signature]
Thank you for the reply! How did you do?
[signature]
From reading the posts, I guess I'm the only guy on the lake that got small fish. 40-45' of water, I metered lots of fish that would not open their mouths. The couple I did get were 12-13" splake. I got a few splake and rainbows from just under the ice down to 20'. Again, no real size to them.
I moved into the weed line before leaving to catch a few perch. If I could get my jig down through the 9-10" splake I found 4 out of 5 perch were 8-9", good enough to keep in my book.
I guess I caught plenty of fish but I was a bit disappointed with the quality. Still beat the heck out of chores or work! Couldn't have ordered a prettier day either.
[signature]
Glad the fishing and weather were good. Sounds like a spectacular day all around. Now I really wish I would have gone. Can't believe it was warmer at Fish Lake than in SLC. Plus little wind, can't beat that. Too bad on the break off.
[signature]
How much of the lake is capped? Last year it took a little longer than normal to freeze over, not sure if the lake has had the same temps that we have had here in the Ogden area this last week.
[signature]
We stayed on the extreme south end and as far as we could see there was ice. Someone who has traveled further down lake needs to provide a definitive answer.
[signature]
The ice was solid all over. there was a little blue spot on the east side of the lake but i dont think it was open water. saw lots of people and a few tents just outside of widgeon bay. We fished north of Mackinaw road 100 yards off in 40 feet of water and it had 7-8 inches of ice.

Hope this helps.
[signature]
I was also out there on Saturday on the very North end and the ice was 7-8 inches. We had a blast with the rainbows and caught some browns as well in the 45-50' range along with some splake. In the afternoon the pressure ridge (that is what I call it) began to thaw and water was flowing onto the ice but it was completely frozen in the morning. It only meant I had to walk further back to the truck. It was a perfect day for ice fishing.

So I am somewhat new to Fish Lake but would really like to hook into some Lakers. I have done research and had my fun with youtube videos but two things I would like to know is

1. Jigs or rigs
2. Jigging method

I understand if you don't want to share, but a PM or at least a point in the right direction (which I did get somewhat from previous posts, thank you kentofnsl) would be appreciated. I most likely will be heading up this weekend.
[signature]
I have just enough experience to be dangerous, but I will share what little knowledge I have.

I drop my tube jig to the bottom and then raised it only a couple inches and placed my rod on my Jigging Totter rod holder [url "http://www.jiggertotter.webs.com/"]Link to Jigging Totter website[/url].

I found these rod holders work great, because with the slightest bite from a fish the rod moves, and unless a fish moves it several inches, it likely doesn't feel any resistance. Every few minutes I will reach over and give the rod a couple jigs (not necessary to remove the rod from the rod holder) and then let it just set for awhile. Almost every fish hit right after I jigged the rod. At that point I grabbed the rod and tried to hook the fish. Often, they will hit multiple times. If you have any further questions please feel free to PM me.

I have fished with others who actively jigged their rods at Fish Lake and did well, so feel free to experiment.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. If I go I will report back.
[signature]