Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield ice tourney.
As we all know the Chesterfield tourney is not being put on this yr for whatever reason. So I am in the process of putting one together and would like to know if the 26 of Jan or the 9 on Feb is better for everyone? A few changes will be made and I would like to know all of your opinions on them. Instead of doing the $20 dollar buy in we do a $40 dollar buy in and have a few more prizes to raffle and and almost double first through third place. Please give me your input on that and what dates would work out for most people.
[signature]
[Wink] I have not looked at the schedule for any other derbys on those dates, but I am doing Devils creek as usual. I think the increase in entry to enhance prize $ and prizes is a great idea.
[signature]
I will be there for either date but February 9th would be better.

If you are serious about sponsoring a tournament you need to contact the IDFG. The following is from the fishing regs. and website.

"Any person, organization, club, business, partnership, corporation or other entity that sponsors a fishing contest which is based on the capture of an individual fish, or the size or number of fish captured, must first obtain a fishing contest permit from the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. A fishing contest is defined as an event where the total prize value is greater than $1,000; or the individual entry fee is greater than $25; or the number of boats is greater than 10 or the number of individuals contestants is greater than 20; or there is a live fish weigh-in.
If you're interested in sponsoring a fishing contest, contact your local [url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/about/offices/"]IDFG office[/url] for permit application information OR complete this [url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/licenses/fishTournament.pdf"]contest application permit form[/url] [PDF, 37 KB] and mail it to:

[indent]IDFG Fishing Contests
PO Box 25
Boise, ID 83707
.[/indent][url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=267"]http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/fish/?getPage=267[/url]

As you can see, it is possible to sponsor a tournament without getting a permit from IDFG but the entry fee must be $25 or less and total prize value must be $1000 or less and you keep it to 20 people or less.

These requirements exist to prevent tournaments from occuring too frequently on any given body of water and prevent overcrowding on any given day.

Either way you choose to spin it I will be there.
[signature]
Ok guys we are shooting for Jan 26 i sent the permit in today and most likely will know by this afternoon, odds sounded like they were in our favor.

Official Rules.

1. Entry Fee $40.

2. Starting time is going to be From 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM. You may start drilling holes at 8:00 am and not anytime before that. Fishing ends at 3:00 pm so that means no lines are allowed in the water after three. We will have a horn or someway to notify you when fishing starts and ends. We will give contestants until 3:30 to make there way back to the ramp and if not back to the ramp by then, could result in disqualification.

3. Each contestant must be registered and be checked in with tournament officials prior to fishing.

4.If participants do not abide by IDAHO FISH and GAME REGULATIONS it will result in disqualification and will forfeit all prize money and entry fees. Participants must have in their possession a valid Idaho fishing license while participating in the fishing derby.

5. Only One line may be in water unless a second pole permit has been obtained for $10 and that can be purchased at registration.

6. Any non-contestants fishing poles must be 25' away from all contestants fishing poles.

7. No contestant may register and fish the tournament if they have already been on the lake at any time during the tournament.

8. It is the responsibility of the contestants to obtain a copy of the Idaho Fishing Proclamation and understand all fishing regulations.

9. All fish are are eligible to measure, just remember the limit on chesterfield is two fish so be careful what u keep and measure because most of you who fish chesterfield know that there are some trophy size trout lurking in that body of water.

10. Once your two bag limit is reached you are no longer allowed to fish during the tournament, For this reason, it is recommended (not required) that you practice catch and release.

11. motorized vehicles are allowed throughout the tournament. You may go out prior to the tournament and get all of your tents and gear set up, just remember no holes are allowed to be drilled until 8:00 am.

12.Prizes will be awarded to the three longest fish of the day. This number is based on 150 contestants.

1st $1300

2nd $900

3rd $500

And on top of that we will have some good raffles to give away including a gas auger ,fishing sleds, baits, and who knows what else we may throw in. But like mentioned before this all is based on 150 contestants.

13. Any contestant found by the tournament officials behaving un-sportsman like or disruptive manner will be disqualified from the tournament and will forfeit all prize money and entry fees.

14. No Alcoholic beverages may be consumed during the the tournament hours.

15. No pets on the ice during the tournament.

16. Each fishing contestant participant, assumes all risks and liabilities. The Sponsors and tournament official disclaim ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY ACCIDENT, PERSONAL INJURY< and/or LIABILITY during the fishing tournament.

Any questions please feel free to call my name is Nick and I am excited to get this thing going. Also once the permit goes through we are going to set up a pay-pal or maybe even a website depending on out time seems how its such a short notice. All input is more that welcome.

435-770-4187
[signature]
I'll be there but I have a question.

Why the restriction to a single line (or two with extra fee)in the water?
[signature]
hI BfT. New guy on the block just signed on I will be there for that for sure count me in I also question the 1 pole and also do u have to be a bft member to participate
[signature]
I am not joining the tourney, but I do have a comment.

The ISU annual tournament at Chesterfield was canceled because of the low water conditions on the reservoir.

Do you all really feel it is ethical and in the best interest of the fishery to hold a tournament on Chesterfield when the water is so low?
[signature]
The one rod is for those who want that little advantage they can have it if they get the second rod permit. And like i said before those kind of things will help towards nice raffle prizes.

And for the low water, have you been to the reservoir lately it is not like we are fishing in a small puddle, it is still a rather big body of water. If Idaho fish and game think its a bad idea then I am sure they will not approve the permit but thank you for your concern.
[signature]
Might not be a puddle but it is way down. And it had a fair share of fish when it was full. They are being grouped don't you think? I share cpierces concerns.
[signature]
Why would a person buy a second rod permit when they are allowed to use 5 on the ice anyway? Is this specific to the tourney you are organizing? I would be interested in attending but maybe this issue needs looked at closer?
[signature]
How about giving a guy some props for putting a tournament together for all to enjoy?? Can you imagine the amount of work and preparation it takes to running a legal, legitimate tournament of this size?? Abide by the regulations of the tournament or don't participate, sounds like fun to me!! For the low water level and fish concerns, plant some more. Chesterfield has been lowered to dangerous levels so many times, the Fish and Game knows full well how fast the fish in there grow or they wouldn't allow the tournament. They are stocked fish, so stock some more!!
[signature]
If you get 150 contestants that is $6000. I think he'll have plenty of "props" left over. [laugh][laugh] [Wink]
[signature]
I was thinking the same thing . Plus most of the contestants will pay the 10 bucks for the two pole permit . Why not double your chances to win . Thats another 1500.00 . With a pay out of 2700.00 . Plus what they make on the Raffles ? Curt G.
[signature]
But props/prizes do attract contestants. Be nice to have give aways for other things during the tourney.

Plant more fish? well that could eat up some of the entry money.
[signature]
Stocked fish. Stocked fish are great, they keep our lakes that don't have sufficient natural repro producing good fish for a lot of people. But I don't feel that they are "expendables" especially the ones that have grown for a year or two. Right now everyone that has been fishing Chesterfield are complaining about catching the fall planted "stocked fish". Obviously the older and larger fish are more fun.

Stocked fish aren't free. There were 54,385 catchable sized fish that were stocked in Chesterfield last year. That is about 20,122 pounds of fish. They were probably raised at the Grace Hatchery. The cost last year at the Grace hatchery was $3.72 per pound for feed costs. I don't think that even includes personnel or facilities. That puts last year's stocking at about $74,853. Since the ONLY money that F&G has is from license fees, that is a lot of license fees!

I say don't waste them!
[signature]
Why do you think any of the entry money would go to plant fish ? Curt G.
[signature]
It was just a joke made in light of the "plant more fish" post. Somebody has to pay for it and pretty sure money is a little tight these days.
[signature]
so new guy on the block here I am having a tough time with this if people don't think that over a. Regular weekend that a 150 fish don't leave that res you probably got another thing coming and they have been stocking that lake ever since oh wait a min fish and game killed it off humm. The fish are there lots of them a fishing tourny a year is not going to kill it besides not every is going to catch a 20 to 25 inch fish anyway let's have fun thanks a lot for trying to get something together a lot of us appreciate the hard work that these things take sorry for the soap box
[signature]
Here is an older post from ISU chesterfield tourney?
"Chesterfield Ice Fishing Tournament! posted by: AFS_Portneuf
Hello fellow Fishermen and Fisherwomen, The American Fisheries Society's Portneuf Student Chapter is organizing its 2nd Annual Ice Fishing Derby at Chesterfield Reservoir. This is a fundraiser for our (Pocatello/Southeast Idaho) AFS chapter and all the proceeds go to fisheries educational purposes. It will be on January 23rd from 8am-3pm. The entry fee is $20 per person and is limited to the first 150 participants. 1st place will get 25% of pot, 2nd 15% of pot, and 3rd 10% of pot. There will also be a raffle for donated outdoor and fishing gear, discounts, and gift certificates from local businesses.
For more information and to register please visit Hope to see you there! Portneuf AFS"

ISU Tourney actually had a purpose other than lining their pockets. And, best of all. It supported a cause, here in Idaho.
Not sending the money across the border.

Buy Idaho!!!!!
I am sorry you guys feel the way you do about the tourney, If you think we are making 2700 dollars you are way off but i am not here to argue with you. tournaments are for some people and not other which is totally fine. If i thought it was going to totally kill off this reservoir trust me i would not attempt to hold a tourney on it. I am an avid fisherman who understands why some of you might be worried but trust me 150 contestants is not even close to the amount of pressure this place gets every weekend. Alot of the people who join this tourney are people who fish this reservoir regardless if there is a tourney or not. So like i said before I apologize for those who may be very Angry with us. The good news is, is that u are not required to fish the tourney. So thanks for your comments and for those of you who are interested thank you for your interest. I will post sign ups when the permit goes through.
[signature]