Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad ideas a plenty
Bad idea #1: "hey we should go night fishing!"
Bad idea #2: Going through with #1!

Had a preminition to hit Pineview up last night for some night time Crappie slammin. Well it didnt go as planned. Didnt quite see 14" or 12" of snow upon arrival at 7. Maybe 8". Headed down the hill, across the flats, and shoulda went to grandmas house. Instead we found the desired depth and sure enough fish on the flasher everywhere.

Get the tent set up, heater rollin, lantern blazen, and fish disappear. Said to my buddy," they'll be back, they got to be hungry". Nope! I was wrong. Hit that spot for a couple hours cause the wind and light flurry was a little chilly. Finally get the nerve to head out and drill some prospecting holes. Once again fish on the flasher.

So now its time to reset camp. Only this time the fish stayed and even invited friends. It got to the point I could not see my lure on the flasher there was so many. Green lines, orange lines, and even the occasional reds. I could've thrown my tackle box at em and they still would not bite. All they wanted to do was sniff it. All in all we had maybe 6 bites, 1 hooked up and lost at the hole, and 1 iced. Never in my ice fishing days have i had a night like tonight.

We made it out on the ice so fast and easy that when it was time to leave, my sled felt like it weighed 400 pounds. All the snow that I was gliding over on the way out had froze to the bottom and made the drag across the ice, across the flats and up the hill terrible. I now know that I have leg muscles I never knew I had.

Bad idea #3: Beings that I am from Pleasant View I forgot the Ogden canyon is closed at night so I said to myself, "self, just go over the North Ogden divide." Thinking 12"-14" up there. Talk about a pucker factor of 4000.

Bad idea #4: going through with 1,2, and 3

[signature]
Thank you for the warning post. Thought aobut heading up there this morning, Trappers loop was the deciding factor!

Too bad you did fishing, seeing and minimal catching!
[signature]
Wow, that is a tough report, all I can saw is, I'm glad it was you and not me[Wink]. Do you think the storm caused the bite to be off? Looks like we are in for some decent but cold weather, I'm guessing if all this snow does not cause the slush monster to rear its ugly head, we will have some better fishing days ahead of us. Thanks for getting out there and posting a report.
[signature]
I have fished Pineview at night twice,both times in a blizzard.I had the same results that you did.I have heard that it can be red hot out there at night but I guess it needs to be good weather for it.Better luck next time.
[signature]
Post frontal fishing can be down right BRUTAL.

Now if you could have hit it as the storm was blowing in I think that your whole adventure would have turned out quite different.

I've watched the fish on my camera do just what you described after a storm. To watch those fish sit there an inch from your lure and act like they don't even see it can drive you crazy.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
You would think that. But I fished Wednesday night as the storm was just staring to blow in. Same experience fish on the flasher everywhere but we could not buy a bite. It was a very frustrating night.
[signature]
i have never had a night as slow as last night! Very frustrating. Pretty sure I will be paying more attention to the storms, pressure, and fronts a lot more. Can think of a handful of things that I could've done last night that would have been better.
[signature]
On the bright side, we were'nt the only ones out there with a bad idea [:p]. Saw 1 more twosome out there. If it was anyone on this forum I would like to know if they had the same outcome or did we really suck that bad last night?
[signature]
That was a great story, you had me laughing, just sorry you didn't catch any fish. I'm looking forward to your next story.[cool]
[signature]
Well thank you. I got home last night and figured I was not so happy, so thought some of you BFT's should get a chuckle out of my trials. Atleast that was the intention [laugh]
[signature]
hey at least you didnt go to williard
[signature]
[quote zman2]hey at least you didnt go to williard[/quote]

Haha, THIS!
[signature]
Yup - sounds like one of them posts I've learned not to make, getting smacked by the skunk monster!

They close the canyon? That's good to know. Wasn't aware of that. Even at Willard - you can get out at night, cuz the gates open from the inside.

I've heard such promising things about night fishing the View. Day fishing even - I wanna sit on a school of perch! I think I was close - more x-patterning - and I just might find em in numbers yet!

Thanks for the report. I'll get down there one of these days before ice off!
I also went out last Wednesday night and did very well, me and two other guys iced 20 crappies. Most were medium sized with one going just over 13". Super soft bite and you had to be on your toes [cool]
[signature]