Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Fishing rod and reel need tips
I'm new to rod and reel fishing. I have a baitcaster and can cast it pretty well still need a lot more practice but I love fishing with it. Anyone have any tips on lures to use or any fishing advice?
[signature]
Hooking_em I'm new to the board but if you're still in need of assistance please let me know! You are correct in that with a a baitcaster it is going to take some practice to get things ironed out. Not knowing what you are fishing for or where I can only offer rudimentary advice. I'm a Bass angler and for me the baitcaster is a tool to get the heavier tasks accomplished. By this I mean use a heavier lure like a RattleTrap, Buzzbait, Spinnerbait or Jig. You can also do well with a Carolina Rig - to which you can attach a number of plastic baits. As you get better you'll be able to cast smaller cranks with it as well.

I have one that my family got me one Christmas. At first I thought pffft fairy wand because my standard was a MH Fast Action beefy Lightning Rod accompanied by one of the big circular Abu Garcia reels (5000, 5500, 6500). This one is Medium, 6' 6" long and has the Abu Garcia Revo baitcaster. I simply love it and with 10# test I can cast something as small as the old #7 Rapala (Balsa) bait. For the past 2 years we've been tearing them up on the old Norman Deep Baby-N cranks!
[signature]