Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Report
Well here we go. All three trucks made it back from powell last night. All boats covered in nasty crap from the snow ride in. Hit snow about 15 miles outside of wellington and snowed all the way in.

Fishing was pretty darn good. We ended up catching:

223 stripers
16 walleyes
1 largemouth
1 small mouth
over 60 catfish not counted but all kept.

Most every fish we caught was dead on surface. Almost every single fish was caught right on the bottom from a depth of 100+. Almost every airsack popped.

All fishing was done in bullfrog bay. Dock fishing at night which accounted for probally 75 or so of the stripers and most of the catfish. Boat fishing was all done between the house boat bouy field and dome rock. We caught some (30 to 40) trolling on 1 oz white bucktail jigs with a salt/pepper chartuse tail walleye assign with 9 colors of leaded line out going 2.3 mph. But, the funnest was the most of the stripers were accounted for hit like mad jigging cast masters in 100+ feet of water. They would bite like mad, I mean MAD for 1 to 2 hours every morning from about 945 to 11. between the 3 boats we would at time have 4 and 5 fish on at a time and at times 7 or 8. Crazy.....

All guys in group was able to bring home striper fillets which was really nice since the last 2 years of the annual guys fishing trip in January kinda sucked.

Weather kinda or should I say really was lame. Wednesday night no rain and it started Thursday and mostly drizzled all weekend. The sun came out and it was beautiful when we pulled out the boats to head home, go figure.

There was no injuries to the guys, boats or trucks. My new I-phone 5 with my pictures are all the bottom of the lake under our house boat on the docks. My net is out on the end of the dock under another house boat. Both are in 100 plus feet of water. Phone my fault and net not my fault.

We did have lots of people taking pictures so I will get some put up when we all get I get some pictures heading my way.

No giant stripers or no giant walleyes. I dont think we caught a striper over 5 lbs but close, lots of big healthy fish. And, I would say we didnt catch a walleye over 2.5 pounds maybe 3.

I figure about 800 to 900 dollars of beer, booze and wine was consumed in the trip. We ate like kings and had a fantastic time. All 15 guys will be invited back next year.
[signature]
Great report! Sucks about the I phone, but it's good to know that the fishing is good year round.
[signature]
Using the flashlight app. as a fishing light....brilliant!
[signature]
Can I come next year. I'll pitch in my share. And I have a boat.
[signature]
What a great trip! Thanks for posting.
[signature]
Now Thats a fishing trip right there.
[signature]
Looks like a fun trip! I've never been to Powell in the winter, but I'm thinking that looks much better than the burbot trip we have planned next month, even with the rain you got.
[signature]
I can't wait to get down there in a few weeks!

Awesome report!
[signature]