Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new line question
[size 1]How can you always know for sure that you are putting the line on your spinning reel correctly. Some are label up and some are label down. Shouldn't you always have the line coming off the spool in a counter-clockwise fashion? or is it different on each spool. I want to know once and for all. Thank you in advance[/size]
[signature]
Hey there lonhunter! That is a very good question but has a simple answer.

If you are right handed and are using a right hand spinning reel(rod in right hand, reel with left) then you should be unwinding in a counter clockwise direction. Some of the reels that have the interchangeable handle can go either way so you have to be careful.

Some of your older reels were not interchangable but do have this counter clockwise spooling. For example I have a Mitchell 400 and a Mitchell 410 that are not interchangeable from left to right handed but they return the line in a counterclockwise pattern.

Just to double check each spool that you are putting new line onto. Simply remove the spool and crank it a couple times to see which way that it spins. Make sure that you respool it in the same direction. I hope that answers your question and is of help to you.

I accidently respooled one spool in the wrong direction and didn't realize it until after I had casted. I notice the line getting more slack as I was reeling in and look at the spool. One big crows nest from over cranking it backwards.
[signature]

Hey there lonehunter,

Got any high bridges? The only spinning reels I have are ones I use with a BFT trout rod for freshwater trout and my 10ft noodle rod for saltwater.

I use 2lb and 4lb flurocarbon respectively. I do the 'pencil held by my feet between which is the spool' routine. I put the line on the spool lightly and put an excess of line on it. I then take the outfit and loosly tie an old treble hook w/sinker and drop the rig over the bridge railing. The bridge is really high. (the one on 2nd St. overlooking mother's beach to my local so cal buddies) I pull off my treble rig and start to reel with the line lightly between my fingers and the end of the line twirling as it untwists.

Little problem with memory for the life of the line.

JapanRon
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]Here is how I do it and I have no problem with line twist.

When I am spooling up a bait casting reel, or any conventional reel, put a rod, or even a pencil, through the center of the line spool. Tie the line to the reel with a (Uni-knot or Arbor knot) clipping off the tag end. Snug the knot to the reel spool. One person should reel while another holds both ends of the rod, applying pressure as the line is reeled onto the spool. Fill to about an 1/8 inch from the spool's outer rim. Keep the line away from anything that could cause abrasion.

Use the same procedure with a spinning reel, but reel line so that it comes off the end of the spool. After 15 or 20 turns, give it some slack if a twist occurs, turn the spool over and continue to fill the reel. You should keep checking for line twist as you fill the reel.

Monofilament will twist. If it happens while fishing from a boat, play the line out with nothing on the end, trolling behind the boat for about three minutes and wind it back on. The water will take the twist out. It is also important to always use a ball-bearing swivel, which will reduce or eliminate line twist. Also works on the ground but you have to walk. Tie the line to something and pull it off. Go cut the line where you have it tied. Walk back and reel it on. When it come trough the grass it will untwist.[/size][/font]
[signature]
i've done that too ! [blush]

to save some wrist action i used a cordless screwdriver . had the same results too [crazy] .
[signature]
i use a shimano sedona , 4000ra model for the steelhead and salmon .it's made for 8,10,and 12# test but i use 6# test line , i'm trying out different types of the flurocarbon lines . i'm guessing i have close to 260 - 280 yards per spool on it .

i tried the stren and did not like the results . so i bought a 600 yd yo-zuri spool for a go . the shimano comes with a backup spool i keep loaded in my vest . after spooling the two , the remaining line i put on the leader and weight line contraption i made up . i waiting for a good steelhead run for a good try out . if not i'll will brave the winds off the pier and see if there's a hungry laker lurking about .

so far this shimano reel is by far the best modern reel that i have tried . this kinda sucks thou , how am i going to convince the wife i need a better reel ?
[signature]
a quick fix for that mono problem is to soak the new spool in fabric softner for a couple hours before spooling onto your reel , it relaxes the line . once spooled take the reel spool and emerce it in warm water to remove any residue .

thanks for your tips !
[signature]
[cool] Hey lonehunter, you got to remember that some of us are blonde. I laid a fabric softner sheet on it and has no results.[Sad]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh] LMAO !!!![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
it seems no matter what i do i get line twist on my spinning reel so i to take my rod and reel to a bridge its a low one over a river let out straight line into the river and let the current untwist my line
[signature]
I have done that a few times my self

one in a while I will let it out while moving on the lake to get rid of twist.

if you can find a big fish to hook to he can spool your reel for ya. just so long as you have a swivel he will pull out all the twist.
[signature]
haven't had a fish do that in about 22 years
[signature]
Chris, sounds like to me you are about due...[Wink]
[signature]
waaaaay over due
[signature]
Hey aquaman, I think that you have one sceduled for this week or next week. I have to look at my agenda to be sure. LOL [laugh]
[signature]
LH i used too know this old guy ..maybe you know him he owned the bait store at 5 channels years ago..well he used to tie his line on a tree...then take all the line off the spool..then put the line on his reel from the spool backwards ..i talked too a buddy of mine a few days ago .. he said the old man told him this years ago too... he said it works ??? im not sure but i think if i.. had 300 yards of line id be out in the woods at my place ..maybe its worth a try????[Tongue][crazy]
[signature]
I cheat. I go to the store, pick out my line, and have them spool it for me. I pay just for the amount of line put on my reel. Hehe.
[signature]
at 300 yards behind your house i'de be slow trolling a ripe corn cob using a winchester 30-06 , lol !
get some of those big browns , with horns !
[signature]