Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
doubl waders
hey all, i just thought of an idea to run across all you coldweather tubers. get a pair of neoprene waders that "fit" well, then get some ultralights and put them on the outside, thought that would keep you toasty.(assuming that you have all the right clothes on to begin with). also, this next statement is nmore of a question, what would be a sutible, yet light way to prevent ice puntures in your tube, when you are out breaking the ice? thanks and tell me your opinion.
[signature]
[cool]Hey FB2, first thing you gotta do is go into your profile and change your signature line. Change the sunburn to frostbite, or something. Ha!

Not a bad idea on the double layer...for the icy cold waters just before iceup. The two layers would restrict your mobility, but would definitely help with the warmth.

The question about busting through the ice makes me wonder about you. I thought I was the only nut that thought of using the tube as an icebreaker. I made a lot of late season trips where I had to break out through thin ice around the edge of the lake to get to open water.

I never suffered any damage to the tube, from the ice, but I suppose the potential is there. The main thing is to move slow and rock forward and backward...to crack the thin ice and push it out of the way. You don't have a sharp bow, like a boat, so you have to just use your weight.

If the ice is too thick to break easily, you have to face reality. Time to put the tube away for the winter and get out the ice fishing gear.

I'll tell you though, that some of the best fishing I ever had on some lakes was just before complete iceup and then again right as the ice was breaking up. That's when the big browns swim along the edge of the ice and really smack a Rapala or jig.

Say hi to your dad for me.
[signature]
I have to admit that I too have made my tube into an ice breaker before. I just used neos with plenty of warmth under neath, eg., long johns, fleece sweats, and wool socks. its my feet that get cold in that water more than anything.

As TD said, if your having difficulty breaking through the ice, it is probably better to wait a couple more weeks and go ice fishing. Also, be warned of wind moving the ice around once you get out on the open water. I wouldn't want to get pinned between 2 sheets of ice.

Have fun and happy fishing!!!! Just out of curiousity, are the edges of Deer Creek and Jordanelle getting a bit hard???

ES
[signature]
I drove past both Deer Creek and Jordanelle Saturday on my way up to Park City with my wife, and there was no ice that I could see whatsoever. I'd give it a couple more weeks.
[signature]
Thanks Cat_Man! I was curious about the edges as FB2 and his dad "Road" live up in the Heber area.

I'm asking the Mrs. for a state park pass for X-mas that will give free access to any state park. I live entirely too close to Utah Lake state park not to take advantage of it. When/if I get it, I'll zip you a pm and we can go hit it if you're going to be around over X-mas break. By that time, it may be more ice fishing than anything.

See you on the water!

ES
[signature]
Speaking of Road??? where has he been recently??? Hey fishboy, how is school going???? We should go do some ice fishin this winter, would ya be down, look me up.
[signature]
ok, i am game. school, well lets just say, its snowing, how can i think aboutschool, i have a snowboard to tune. i am down to go ice fishn dude always down for some fishin.
[signature]