Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California DFW To Stock Trout in San Diego County Lake
CDFW will begin stocking Lake Miramar because the lake is in an urban setting and represents the potential to be a very popular urban fishery. The lake, which in the past was stocked by the city of San Diego, historically is very popular with anglers.

"I remember as a kid, growing up in Temecula, hearing stories about the trout fishing at Lake Miramar, and even having my mom drop me and friends off to fish while she went shopping," said Russell Black, CDFW fisheries biologist. "I am excited about this. It's good for everyone: the city, the Department and most importantly the public."

Some of the stocked rainbow trout will have $10 reward tags, which CDFW hopes will increase angler interest and recreational activities at the lake. Signs will be posted at access points around the lake with information on how to collect the rewards for tagged trout, and mail-in cards will be placed at the concessions.

Tag returns will provide valuable information to department biologists, including information on angler success, harvest rates and catch per unit of effort. This information will ultimately help the department assess trout plants.

All fish plants are subject to change depending on road, water, weather and operational conditions. Stocking is scheduled to resume in the fall.

Media Contact

D. Russell Black, CDFW Region 5, Inland Fisheries (858) 467-4262<br />
Andrew Hughan, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8944