Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you release yellow perch if caught in water more than 30 ft deep?
thats wierd cause ive got probly 6 smallies ice fishing in the past few years and they are always 40+feet with air bladders coming half way out there mouths, i have also witnessed that, if your catching bass in 86 feet its hard to believe it doesent come out, thats alot of pressure to not have it happen. plus i dont fizz em i keep em for the table so i dno if i did fizz them if they would go cause i havnt tried. maybe it has something to do with time of year like under the ice, i dno though
[signature]
Have you found anything about the sm bass like you did the perch??? I have not found any on or that names the sm bass, but some will group them..
[signature]
Don't release them. They are over populated and most often illegally introduced.

You are not going to put a dent in the population and if you do, that would be a great thing.
[signature]
Do you release yellow perch if caught in water more than 30 ft deep?

Nope. I kill them and gladly too.
[signature]
You need to learn what over populated is, and where or what is illegally or not..
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]Do you release yellow perch if caught in water more than 30 ft deep?

Nope. I kill them and gladly too.[/quote]

I don't know who you are but I like you already!
[signature]
[quote bassrods]Have you found anything about the sm bass like you did the perch?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yep![/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[size 4]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]In the North American Journal of Fisheries Management, Volume 29, Issue 6, published in 2009 there was an article titled "The Incidence and Consequences of Barotrauma in Fish in the St. Lawrence River." The authors were Jason F. Schreer, Jason Gokey & Victor J. DeGhett. The article is on pages 1707-1713. Here is an abstract of that article: "Barotrauma is increasingly being recognized as a serious conservation and management issue in catch-and-release fisheries. Barotrauma results from decompression that can cause physiological alterations and physical injuries. During the summers of 2007 and 2008, we angled for fish in the St. Lawrence River to determine the incidence of barotrauma injuries and the related mortality rates. An angler survey was also conducted in 2008. A total of 212 fish were caught at depths ranging from 1 to 21 m. Sixty-three fish (30%) showed signs of barotrauma, 99% of these being smallmouth bass Micropterus dolomieu, walleyes Sander vitreus, and yellow perch Perca flavescens. These three species represented 77% of all the fish caught and, excluding round goby Neogobius melanostomus, represented 94% of the fish caught at depths greater than 6 m. Signs of barotrauma were bloating (89%), loss of equilibrium (66%), stomach eversion (62%), bulging eyes (18%), hemorrhaging in the eyes and fins (12%), and anal eversion (5%). Most fish had multiple signs, approximately 50% showing loss of equilibrium, bloating, and stomach eversion. The incidence of barotrauma increased with depth, first appearing at 6.1 m. There was a threshold at approximately 10 m, from which the incidence rapidly increased to 100% at 21 m. Mortality occurred in 67% of the fish with barotrauma, even in those with less severe signs (e.g., mild bloating and slight loss of equilibrium only when stationary) and showed a similar rate of increase starting at 9 m. There were interspecific differences in the susceptibility to barotrauma that may be related to habitat preferences and physiological and physical differences that should be considered when targeting different species and depths."[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 2][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 2]And just in case you haven’t figured out what barotrauma is, it is the result of bringing a physoclistous fish too quickly to the surface. Fish with barotrauma will have their enormously swollen swim-bladder protruding from their mouth, bulging eyeballs, and often sustain other, more subtle but still very serious injuries as described in the abstract above.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 2][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 2]If you’d like the complete article, you can buy it here for $26:[/size][/#800000][/font] [url "http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1577/M09-013.1"]order here[/url].
[/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
So they identified the problem, did they offer any solutions or remedies for the problem ???
[quote Therapist]So they identified the problem, did they offer any solutions or remedies for the problem ???[/quote]

One example:
[center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][#000000]U[/#000000][/font][/size][#000000]ntil now there has been two methods promoted for dealing with fish that are suffering from barotrauma (although opinions among researchers and experienced fishers differ as to the best method for dealing with this condition).[/#000000] [/center]
[center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]V[/size]enting[/font][/center]

[center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][font "Georgia,serif"]Venting, or puncturing the swim bladder with a fine hollow needle has been used to allow the expanded air in the swim bladder to escape. Venting methods can vary with species however in most cases the needle is inserted in line with the top of the pectoral fin and below the 4th dorsal spine.[/font] [font "Georgia,serif"]Unfortunately, research has shown this method to cause a very high mortality rate in most cases since any intrusion into the body can cause infection and many times other important organs are punctured in the process.[/font][/font][/size][/center]
[center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size][/center]
[center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]W[/size]eighted line[/font][/center]

[center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][font "Georgia,serif"]An alternative, less intrusive method, has been to use a weighted line to return the fish to the bottom. The fish is hooked in the jaw with a barbless hook or bent wire design, attached to a weight and lowered to the bottom on a cord. When the cord is "jerked" the hook comes out of the fish.[/font][/font][/size][/center]
[center]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size][/center]
[center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][font "Georgia,serif"][size 3]This is [size 3]exactly how the LakerSaver work[size 3]s.[/size][/size][/size]
[/font][/font][/size][/center]
[signature]
I might release a small perch at Deer Cr., Yuba or Starvation but nowhere else. As prolific as perch are, releasing them does the resource no good at all. The reason they're small is, in most cases, because they are stunted from lack of adequate food to grow.
[signature]
Thanks for the help, it was good reading..
[signature]