Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any body got a Line?
Ice Fishing Tip #6<br><br>Dropping a line is the “preferred method” of getting your hook to the fish during the ice-fishing season, when you consider that few anglers possess the skill to hit an 8-inch diameter hole from the shore.<br><br>Speaking of line. There are more different types of line than there types of game fish. With so many lines how doses one choose from the borage? Well I guess that all depends on what you are looking for.<br><br>First you want to match the line to the reel. Don’t over load the reel, meaning that you should take in consideration what the specifications called for (pound ratings). Over loading can damage your reel, stripping gears and burning up the clutches on your drag. <br><br>When you here about anglers going after lunkers with “Ultra Light” these persons are after the sport of landing big fish on light tackle. That particular style of fishing will go through more reels and line than someone who is going out to produce fish for the table, increasing the cost factor. <br><br>Using a two-size line setup is a good practice. Being that the line is at least 1 third liter than the reel line. This is a good cost and time saving practice. <br><br>Here is the math equation that I use.<br><br>Blue Gill, Crappie, Perch = 4 pound test leader – 8 pound reel line.<br>With this setup I will have to replace my leader line every 20 fish. (The line breaks at around 25 fish)<br>This setup can easily land a 7-pound bass. You will just have to ware him out before landing. <br><br>Largemouth Bass, trout, Ciscoes = 6 pound leader 8 pound reel line.<br>Walleye = 12 - 14 pound leader 15 – 20 reel line.<br>Pike = steel leader 20 pound reel line. (Same with tip-ups) <br><br>As for the brand to look for, jump over on the Tackle and Lure board. Ask the pro’s they can give you the best advice. <br><br><br><br><br>[cool] “Don’t forget to wiggle your jig.” davetclown