Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to buy a rod and reel for husband.. help!
Hi! My husband has been talking about wanting to take up fishing for years now, and I've decided getting him set up would be a perfect birthday present. Problem being, I have no idea what to look for. I don't want anything top of the line (in case it doesn't get more than a few uses), but do want quality.

It would probably be used mostly for lake fishing (though I don't know what types of fish), but I would also like to find something that could be used for casual fishing in Baja, where we will be traveling this summer. Is there something that could do both?

Please help me figure out what to buy! (and let me know anything else I should consider that I don't even know that I'm missing!)
Thanks!
[signature]
How much money are you looking to pay?
[signature]
$1-200?
[signature]
A $200 limit can get you a lot of different rods. I'd be looking at different Abu Garcia items. I usually fish with them. While I'm a lure expert, my rod/reel knowledge is not the greatest, as I usually just fish for bass, so I always use the same setup most of the time. I've had luck with my abu garcia. I use the Orra S combo
[signature]
Bass Pro has some good spincasting setups for that range. Look for a reel that will take 8-12lb line and a rod with med. action. Their name brand is of good quality. I like shimano myself.
[signature]
If he is just getting into fishing and has not done much fishing before you might want to stay away from the baitcast reels. It takes a little practice to fish with those and he might be fighting backlashes alot and get frustrated.
Good luck.
Ron

Moderator Edit: This type of marketing in your post is not allowed.
[signature]
If he may use the equipment in fresh and saltwater, there really is no happy medium to cover it all. If he is just breaking into the world of fishing, i'd say do a few different things to help this along:

[ul][li]Go to a local tackle store, and ask them what is the most prominent and easily caught fish in the local area.[/li][li]Once you have determined what that species of fish is, report back here, and we can get you set up with the right kind of equipment. [/li][li]Buy him a book on the species of fish the tackle store clerk notes, so he can learn about the fish he wants to target. This will help him alot in regards to actually catching fish. He will learn about thier favored foods, habitat, etc...[/li][/ul]Chances are, the tackle store will also help you pick out the right gear. But, it's a bad idea to just randomly purchase fishing equipment. The trick to getting him to enjoy fishing, is simply setting him up for success. Just like a child, and adult needs that up-front success, to actually catch a few fish, to continue down that road. Having the right equipment, using the right bait, and fishing the correct conditions are all very important. Sound complicated? It's not. A little basic knowledge, and he will be successful.
[signature]