Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing reports
Here is a report for ky lake I got from one of the lake guides.

Kentucky Lake: Water level at Ky Dam - 354.37 Surface Temperature - 64
Lake Barkley: Water level at Barkley Dam - 354.30 Surface Temperature - 64

Fishing has started to pick up as the water temperatures are dropping. This weekend will see some cooler temperatures with daytime highs in the 50's but the weather is forecasted to be in the 60's next week so it should be a great week to get on the water and get in some fall fishing.

The Largemouth Bass are being taken in the bays as they are feeding on schools of baitfish. These fish are being taken near wood cover on topwater lures, spinnerbaits, medium running and lipless crankbaits, Texas rigged tubes and soft jerkbaits. Numerous reports of schooling bass are being received and these fish are being taken on the flats in the backs of the bays and coves.

The Smallmouth Bass are being taken on the main lake primary points and secondary points in the bays as well as some reports of Smallmouth being taken shallow in the bays feeding on schools of baitfish. The fish on the points are being taken on medium and deep running crankbaits, Carolina and Texas rigged tubes, and jignpig. The shallow fish are being taken on the same lures as the shallow Largemouth.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Lucky Craft Sammy and Zara Spook in shad patterns, Chatter Buzz buzzbaits in white, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer and blue glimmer/chartruese, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer and rootbeer/chartruese, Norman crankbaits in rootbeer, Lee Sisson crankbaits in grey ghost and sunshine crawfish, Zoom super flukes in white and shad patterns, Hook Some Bass jigs in green pumpkin, Hook Some Bass tubes in green pumpkin, and Snoozer tubes in road kill cammo, watermelon burst, and smoke/purple.

The Crappie are being taken in 8-12 ft of water over wood cover in the bays by vertically fishing with small jigs and minnows. Some shallow Crappie are being taken near wood cover using minnows fished under bobbers.

The Catfish are active near the river channels in 20-30 ft of water using cut baits and leeches fished on bottom rigs. Some good reports of blue catfish have been received over the past few days.

The water temperatures are dropping as are the outside air temperatures. You should check your boat to ensure you have the proper survival gear in case you get wet and/or stranded on the lakes. Hypothermic conditions should now be a part of your trip planning.

If you are in need of a guide for some fun fall fishing, tournament preparation, lake familiarization or technique instruction don't hesitate to give me a call or drop me an email. Now is the time to book your lodging and guide reservations for next spring's fishing to ensure you get the dates you want.

THIS IS FROM A GUIDE ON LAKE HERINGTON

Surface temp: 64ยบ
Water: Stained
Lake level: 725.00

Crappie can still be caught around 15' next to and close to cover. The weather really hasn't cooperated with local fisherman this week. It seemed that we went straight from Indian summer to winter. On Monday there were a few boats on the lake but with the rains and dropping air temps, it seems that fisherman headed for the house. The water temp hasn't really dropped that much from last week. When we get water that is a little cooler and the weather stabilizes, hopefully the crappie fishing will pick up.

There are still a few reports of bass being caught in the creeks on medium-running plugs, but there are just not a lot of fisherman getting out there and hitting it. I'm really surprised that more people aren't out because the water temp is pretty much right on for good bass fishing.

I've gotten reports of some real nice size bluegill being caught. Most are coming suspended at 15' in around 30' of water. One local fellow I know has been catching a bunch, with some in the 9" category. Most are being taken on wax worms. As a matter of fact, I went out this afternoon and caught about 15 or so. They'll be on the dinner table this evening.

The hybrids have been real slow. I got to fish on Wednesday and the ones I caught were immature. They were off points in around 40' of water. I have had reports of more small hybrids caught on the lower end of the lake. These fish were caught on spoons in 30' of water. I spoke to Kerry Prather, district biologist for the KDFWR (via internet) this week. If you remember, I had questioned the presence of gar showing up in locations where I'd been catching hybrids and wondered if their presence affected hybrid fishing. According to Kerry, gar and hybrids have different behavioral habits and the gar had no influence on fishing. Thanks, Kerry.

All the other lakes are doing as past reports have stated. Will keep you up to date when I learn more.

Hal
[signature]