Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Trout
I dont understand why the experts cant see what a fishery that the Tiger Trout has potential for in Schofield.
It seems a shame that they are going to poison it and i dont think they have given it a fair chance there. Look at what has come out of there the last few years. Yeah lets poison it. Those Tigers are eating chubs. They should quit focusing on the good old Bear Lake Cuttthroat and plant more of these in waters where there is a problem. YEAH LIKE STRAWBERRY they would only help get rid of the chubs. But give a program a chance to work. If they make a change they change again because of public pressure without staying the course. The problem with this state is they are too focused of the almighty rainbow and familys catching a limit of (4) 8" planters. Give me a break
[signature]
Last I heard they weren't going to poison it anymore. Do you have some new information?
[signature]
Seriously, what the crap do those biologists that have years and years of school and on the job training know?! It's OBVIOUS that all that schooling and field work was a pointless waste of time and money.

Obvious, I say.
[signature]
With the recent hog tiger trout that place is producing I say lets keep it the way it is!
[signature]
[quote rancid_crabtree] They should quit focusing on the good old Bear Lake Cuttthroat and plant more of these in waters where there is a problem.

Bear lake cutts, I did not know they had those in there!
Or are they Bonneville cutthroat in there?

The state recognizes both strains of cutthroat nowWink
[signature]
I WAS WONDERING WHERE THE INFO IS COMING FROM, IS IT JUST WHAT HAS BEEN HEARED OR FACTS, IS SEEM MOSTLY I HEAR FROM A GUY WHO HEARED IT FROM A GUY, IF THERE IS FACTS WHERE CAN EVERYONE FIND THEM.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hello all,

I thought I would let you know what is planned for Scofield.

1. They are Bear Lake cutthroat trout in the reservoir and have been stocked there since the spring of 2009. Because BL cutthroat switch to a fish diet earlier than other cutthroat, they are being used in addition to the tiger trout to hopefully control the chub numbers.

2. There is a study underway by Utah State University right now to help us determine the future management direction at the reservoir. The results of this study are not due until April or May of this year. What the DWR hopes is that the study will show that the tigers and cutthroat will eventually control the chubs and bring the reservoir back into balance. A chemical treatment of the reservoir will only be considered if the research shows that there is no chance that the biological control will work.

Chemical treatment of the lake is a last resort. The estimated cost will approach a million dollars of sportsmen's dollars that could be better spent elsewhere.

The bottom line is that no decision has been made one way or another, nor will be made until the USU study is done, we receive input from the public on what direction they would like us to take, and a thorough review of all the historical data from Scofield so we can develop a cost/benefit analysis of all the alternatives.

I hope this clears things up.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]
And I thought it was SCOFIELD (the H is silent...[Wink])
[signature]
Thanks for posting the facts. Sometimes we get caught up in rumors.Its good to get the facts.
[signature]
Paul,
Thank you for clearing this up.

I don't know why people post up unfounded information. I guess it's that they fear the worst and have little faith in others knowing what they are doing.
Unfortunately I doubt that this will change.

Isn't the DWR doing something similar at Lost Creek?

Thanks again for setting things straight,
DKS.
[signature]
Sweet!

Now I am more likely going to take a fishing trip down there!

Thanks for info

Rainbows and cutts , and record breaking tiger trout!
[signature]
i heard they are going to introduce a fresh water version of the great white shark, crossed between a tiger musky, a shrubbery, and a drunk irishman. but i heard it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend who heared it from a friend, so it has to be legit, right!?
[signature]
thanks for the info, as a big fan of Scofield I would be really bummed to see it poisoned with the quality of fish that are coming out of there now. I fish it 4-5 times a year on the ice and have yet to catch a chub in all the years Ive been going. I hear others say they are in there, but maybe the size of the recent tigers being caught is an indication that they are being managed as planned.
[signature]
[quote rancid_crabtree] I dont understand why the experts cant see what a fishery that the Tiger Trout has potential for in Schofield.
It seems a shame that they are going to poison it and i dont think they have given it a fair chance there. Look at what has come out of there the last few years. Yeah lets poison it. Those Tigers are eating chubs. They should quit focusing on the good old Bear Lake Cuttthroat and plant more of these in waters where there is a problem. YEAH LIKE STRAWBERRY they would only help get rid of the chubs. But give a program a chance to work. If they make a change they change again because of public pressure without staying the course. The problem with this state is they are too focused of the almighty rainbow and familys catching a limit of (4) 8" planters. Give me a break[/quote]

Another one of these threads? haha.

I just happen to strongly agree with you. If the lake could produce the next world record tiger trout... why not just keep going with a good thing. Stock a ton of them in there! (I know that is also expensive but if you are going to spend over a million to poison it....)

Some states / some lakes would DIE to have a "chub problem".
[signature]
Well if it is on the internet, it has to be true....bonjour.
[signature]
My input is this: Where else in Utah can you even catch 20lb trout ? (face it that is where we are headed with these tigers) besides Lake Trout at the Gorge?

It is a unique big fish reservoir with the chub problem, may as well go with it rather than fight it. I don't think most of us have the appetite to spend that much money just to turn it into another cookie cutter trout lake. (When it is potentially a world class fishery for tigers)
[signature]
Not to hijack this thread with a discussion of Lost Creek, but I did want to get back to you. The DWR has tried a couple of different species to control chubs in that reservoir over the years, Bear Lake cutthroat and tiger trout. Both of those did not appear to do the trick for different reasons. We will be stocking splake in there this year hopefully and see whether they can be successful.

And just so everyone knows, even a rotenone treatment will not completely eradicate Utah cubs from Scofield. It is likely that if we were to treat the reservoir, we would need to go back in there with a similar species assortment that is there now. The biggest difference between a pre and post treatment Scofield would be growth and survival of small trout would be improved by not having the competition with chubs.
[signature]
That's what most people don't get...a treatment would do a couple things: 1) it would eliminate competition and allow more trout to grow to large sizes 2) it would give trout a headstart on chubs and allow more of them to begin utilizing the resource 3) it would help create a better balance between chubs and predators.

Stocking a whole bunch more tiger trout probably won't improve the fishery or increase the number of trophy tigers...the problem of small fish getting large enough to start preying on chubs would only be exacerbated.

The downside to a treatment would obviously be that any trophy trout in there now would be killed...but there would be no reason to believe that another couldn't be grown quickly and perhaps even a larger number of them.
[signature]
Thanks wormandbobber. People forget how bad Strawberry was before the treatment. Sure, there were some big fish lost. But look at how many slot busters are in there now.
[signature]
[left][quote Gemcityslayer] Some states / some lakes would DIE to have a "chub problem".[/quote]

What about some REAL fish - like some Trophy Perch!

[/left]
[center][inline 229884_484571734896362_264361134_n.jpg][/center]