Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotary vise
Im wanting to get a nice vise here soon, what rotary vise do you guys recomend. Im looking at spending about 150 or less.
[signature]
The Griffin Mongoose, Or the Renzeti Traveler
[signature]
Hey I have a set up with a Danvile vise and table Id let go for $125 it's a highly recommended vise.
[signature]
Check ou this link from a local.

[url "http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/02/the-newb-corner-choosing-vise.html"]http://www.flyfishfood.com/2013/02/the-newb-corner-choosing-vise.html[/url]
[signature]
I agree on Mongoose or Renzetti. They are bot, pedestal or clamp models. I have the Renzetti and have been using it for almost 30 years now. I do have both the thumb screw and the lever jaws. I can buy just about any accessory for this vise even after market things like wing/extended body holders.
I feel Mongoose offers that too. Accessories and easy availability to parts.
To add to this, I tie #32 up to #2 with the Renzetti. In 30 years I have replace the O ring once and Renzetti sent it to me. That is it, no other problems, and I use it all the time. I even take it on outings.
One thing. I bought the CLAMP model then bought a Pedestal for $10.00 (generic) The nice thing about this is the stand rod is longer on the clamp model. I didn't realize this till I used someone else. I love this feature.

Everyone has their favorite, so the suggestions given and the links are important to read.
[signature]
This:

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?st...rget=RR057

Or this!!!!

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?st...rget=RR058
[signature]
Wow those are both nice this is going to be a hard choice. Thanks for all the help guys, I think so far its going to be rinzitti.
[signature]
I got the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose and echo everything FG said, I think Ive owned the vise for about 5 years now and not a single problem. I will say if I didn't get a deal on the Griffin I would have gone with the Renzetti Traveler mainly cause the Traveler 2000 comes with Cam jaws instead of the Screw type jaw.
[signature]
If I could and one day I will, but my dream vise is the Nor.
[signature]
I own the Dyna King Trekker. I really like this vice for tying big streamers and small flies. But for 150, I would go with the Peak rotary vise.
[signature]
I'll sell ya my Traveller so I can go buy the black edition! Wink
[signature]
That might work can I come try it out first [shocked]
[signature]
I have the Peak Rotary Vise, pedestal-mounted, no complaints... it's in your price range as well.
[signature]
i also have the peak rotary vise... awesome vise for the price
[signature]
[#502800]I still don't use the rotary on my vise as much as I should, but I'm not into speed. My suggestion is to go to one of the shows. The Wasatch show or the Idaho Falls show are both good and you will see the folks using their different vises and gadgets. They will even let you step up to the plate and let you use them and show you the features.[/#502800]
[#502800]I have never attended one of these shows, where I didn't learn something, that they will never teach in fly tying schools.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]I'm not sure how many flies you want to tie or how fast you want to get? ....... I stand all amazed at these shows when I watch them use the Nor Vise.[/#502800]
[signature]
Have a griffin odyessy spider that I used for a long time and then on FG suggestions I "upgraded" to a renzetti traveler... like the griffin but love the renzetti... very easy to set up and use even for a novice like me...

MacFly
[signature]
I have a Renzetti Traveler on my bench. And a Colorado Angler, from Sportsmans, in my travel kit. I much prefer the Renzetti, but for $60.00 the Colorado is a great vise. The only thing I dislike about it is screw jaws. The jaws are similar to the older Renzetti's.
[signature]
Im going to order a renzetti traveller vise in a couple of days, I have a c-clamp vise now but wondering if I should get a base mount. What do you guys prefer and why? And do you guys have any suggestions on a tying light that wont break the bank, thanks for all your help!
[signature]
I like the idea of both, pedestal and clamp. The stem should be universal. I bought the clamp model and a base at Sportsmans for $15. One thing though. The Stem on the Clamp model is longer than the pedestal model. I find this to be a big advantage in most cases.

If you don't need the magnifier, any lamp could work. IKEA has some killer lights.
[signature]
Great Ill get the clamp and look for a base thanks, and didnt think about ikea, Ill have to go check it out thanks!
[signature]