Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier Creek & Thistle Creek
Does anyone on here ever fly fish Soldier creek and Thistle Creek? Any suggestions or info would be great. I am new to the area and i noticed there are some good looking spots on the rivers while heading to price from fairview. Thanks for the help.
[signature]
Thistle is a great creek considering how tiny it is. Look for the walkin access with ladders over the fence and the unfenced segments that aren't posted. Go to the state walkin page http://wildlife.utah.gov/walkinaccess/pr..._index.php
Click on the Hubbs, Hullinger and Riddle properties. Under the small map you can click and pull up a larger map to view and print if needed. I use nymphs year round. Bigger the better. Late spring brings hatches of both black and golden stoneflies as well as salmonflies. It also has a descent caddis hatch but that's like the fish munching on a little popcorn to the prime rib of salmon flies. In summer I use terrestials. I never caught any fish over 20 inches in Thistle but hundreds from 15-19 inches.
Nebo it's major trib is worth checking out in summer as well.
Soldier Creek has some extremely big browns but the off color makes it hard to fly fish most of it. Try the upper reaches were it's clear if fly fishing. I think most of those big browns spawn in tribs and not Soldier Creek proper so even in the fall hard to get them in that river. The big browns in Soldiers are usually taken with spinning gear.
Just put in some time exploring.
[signature]
Wow you really know your stuff. Thank you very much, that is some great information. Hopefully i can report back successfully the next time i can get up there. I really appreciate the advice and thanks again.
[signature]