Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11/12 Yellows at the V's

Hey there guys,

I go out on the 3/4 day open-party boat Premier out of Pierpoint landing most Wednesdays with my fishing club. Either Danny skippered the boat and Karl helped with deck duties (nice to have two skippers on board) as well as cook. Being on the Winter schedule the Premier leaves at 7am so off we went with a lite load of less than twenty anglers. Comment from Danny's wallet: 'Ouch' ha ha

After loading up, the first order of business is to go get bait... and order breakfast! We had some squid and sardines left from the day before so we head for the east end of Catalina to meet the Carnage for more squirters. It's worth the $5 a piece for the extra squid.

The boat did pretty good yesterday with 11 Yellowtail, 6 Calicos and 7 Bonito, so we had high hopes.

Beautiful trip out, got our candy and around the east end we went and started fishing the V's (Three cliffs shaped like inverted V's or if you think the other way the V's between the cliffs! ha ha)

We had the Persuit and a private boater there as company early and later the Freelance showed up too.

Although we ended up with 22 yellows (I didn't get even one) the highlight of the trip was all the Black Sea Bass caught and released. I caught an 80lber, which took me twenty minutes to land on izorline premium 20lb, my buddy caught two a 60 to 70lber and a 125lber.

All the fish were caught on squid although I tried sardines on the yellows. Some say that if the boat fishes with squid, the yellows won't touch anything else. Could be?!

I used a 0/5 circle hook on my fish and that's just about my standard hook now on a sliding egg (1/4oz) sinker. The fish was hook at the stern and I ended up about 3/4 of the rail around the other side. Lots of pulling and short pumping on that fish. As usual had a good time. We ended up at the dome or white domes (not sure) and fished off a big kelp line. Lots of calicos but as Danny said we were going for yellows. I was told I couldn't use my 15lb line so I gave up on that. All the yellows were small (10lbs's) with one nicer fish that wouldn't have gone over 15 or 16lbs.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Who's got a first person report on what happened today out there on the boats, and hopefully Catalina. Anybody on the Cat Special we saw coming around the east end as we were leaving?

JapanRon
[signature]
when i went out on tuesday on a private boat, we got to the island around 8:00am. the cat special looked like they had been there forever. what time are they leaving??? where do they go out of???

joe
[signature]