Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rod building, what have you made or plan to make?
[font "verdana, arial, helvetica"][size 2]I am starting to be involved in rod building as a form of winter time fun and a way to build what I want and how I want it. It got me a thinking, what is everyone else going to be building in the future or what have you already built? Also did you incorporate any special technic or materials?[/size][/font]
[signature]
funny you should ask , i just finished my first rod yesterday .

the only thing i didn't like was the reel seat . the one i ordered never came and is presumed lost in the mail . i had to substitute another seat in order to get it out for the holidays .

this was a practice rod , everything done by hand , no moters ! i have a special rod that is quite old that i want to restore and use . i figured that the practice rod should break me in and build my confidence in the craft .

everything i put into this rod (experiance ) came from the posts here .

thanks everyone ! it turned out really nice !
[signature]
hey there. I have built several rods. my favorite still has to be the st. croix imperial that I built as my first rod. I have figured out alot of little tricks to use when building which have helped. one of my newest things is instead of using a thread tensioner on my wrapping stand. I place the blank in the v stands and I place the thread ina ceramic tube bobbin for fly tying. this way I can control the thread better as well as the tension on the thread. I think if you give this a try it'll help you out too. let me know if you have any questions. chris
[signature]
Awesome lonehunter, and conrats on the first rod. My first is still siting in the hobby room waiting for me to dig out the time to finish the wrappings on it.

knflyfisher1019- I was wondering how that would work, thanks for the input on a little trick.
[signature]
Scott SAS it's a great rod. I love it. I'll never fish anything but scott

Trent
[signature]
My current project is a 50260 Rodco graphite Sabre Acid wrapped with PacBay LCTNG guides. It's got Metallic Fuscia fiswraps on a closed Metallic copper background. I'm at the final stages of closing the background on the fishies. Wraps will be Metallic Fuscia over Metallic Copper with Electra Gold trim. All thread "A" size, of course. Wink It's gonna be a 30# bait stick for the wife.

On deck is a GUSA Mag80 or I may start on a Seeker 6455XH black EGlass blank I picked up at Fisherman's last week. The 6455XH will be wearing AFTCO windons with a Bigfoot Stripper, short butt & LONG foregrip. It feels like a good 60# blank.

Fishslayer
[signature]
I have built a bunch of custom rods for myself and some friends. my current rod is a gl3 6'6" extra fast action. spinning. the custom wrap
is just finished, it's a fish design, black body outlined with yellow, and the close is with red/gold. I also have a fly rod going for a guy at work, it also is the fish, all yellow fish in a dark blue background, just need to get the guides on and coated.
seems the fish design is one of the best for fishing poles. I know how to do other designs also, but the fish always seems to be the best because it's fishing. I've been trying to figure out a design on the mudhole site and I think I have it now. it's the predator rod by billy40 it's an awesome wrap. another guy figured it out last year and I though if he can I think I can also. my next rod. later chuck
[signature]
There is an application available for decorative wraps. Can't recall the name but I believe it lets you enter colors, etc, & will show you what the finished product will look like. Pretty sure it would also show you how it's done. Mudhole might carry it.

I've seen Billy40's work. It just leaves me shaking my head in wonder...

If ya ever get a chance to go to the Fred Hall show check out Dock Ski's weave samples. Simply awesome. Photos just can't do it justice.

Oh yeah... the fishwraps I mentioned above are finished. I put two types of glitter in the finish. Holographic gold & some kinda orangish/pink holographic. It looks SICK when the sun hits it![sly]

Fishslayer
[signature]
I have built sleds shanties all sorts of hand held ice fishing rods sinkers tie all kinds of leaders and flies.

I would one day like to make an artificial lure of my own design...
[signature]

I am really interested in makeing a a split cane bamboo fly rod if any one in here is as well, or have advise on this subject please pm me or email. The more one can learn meaning me<<< hopefully the better my bamboofly rod will turn out.
[Smile]thankyou and have a good day
I plan to make a spinning rod out of a 9' 8W fly rod, changing the 2 eyes closest to the reel, to get extra casting distance. I'd like to get a noodle or hot shot from G Loomis, but can't afford it right now...

Has anyone done this? any tips or hints for me?

Thanks in advance,
snook.hooker
[signature]
[reply]
I am really interested in makeing a a split cane bamboo fly rod if any one in here is as well, or have advise on this subject please pm me or email. The more one can learn meaning me<<< hopefully the better my bamboofly rod will turn out.
[Smile]thankyou and have a good day [/reply]
[signature]
Don't know why my reply wouldn't show, but...

Have a look at [url "http://www.rodbuilding.org"]www.rodbuilding.org[/url]. Lots of flyrod info there.

Fishslayer
[signature]