Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yamaha G3 is taking on water
I just bought a 07' Yamaha G3 last december.
Only had a chance to get her wet one time and ended up with a gallon or so of water in the bilge.
To say the least I am NOT happy but it is my own fault, I bought the boat out-of-state and did not demo it. I sold my beloved Crestliner for this boat and I hope I don't regret it.
The reason for this post is hoping any of you folks might be able to help if any of you have experienced the same thing. I hope it is something simple like a through-hull fitting or something. Ice hit so fast last year I didn't even have a chance to hit a marina just to simply back it in and inspect it.
I bought the boat in Montana when it was minus 15 so I think it may be a livewell drain line that froze and cracked but I don't know if the remote valve to dump the livewell is below the water line or not?
I thought worst case in a week or two i could intentionally fill the bilge and inspect for a leak coming from a fitting, anyone tried that and had any luck?
I could also "cork" shut each individual through-hull fitting and through trial and error find my leak?
Any other ideas/success stories?
[signature]
That's a bummer on the g3. I hear they're nice boats and have seen a few around.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've been to all the Lund dealers in the state I think. Rogers and Petersen. Both were very helpful.

I might try to stop by marine products tomorrow to look at alumacrafts.
[signature]
Do a google search on yamaha g3 leaking - you probably won't like what you find but there was a lot of information when I did it. Good luck.......
[signature]
I did a couple months ago. It ranged from a simple hose fitting all the way to electrolysis that can happen to any metal boat/trailer.
My sacrificial anodes are original and doing what they are supposed to do.
The ice cap on UL shifted today and has begun piling ice on the rocky points. It won't be long before I dunk my boat and start troubleshooting WHILE fishing.
[signature]
I had a elusive leak in my bass boat, I took the cartridges out of my livewell/bilge pumps and greased the O rings and the leak went away. Good Luck
[signature]
I'll be interested in the outcome. I bought an '09 G3 last year and so far, so good. It's been a great boat. Spent a lot of time on the water last summer and fall and the bilge stayed nice and dry. Hopefully that will continue...
[signature]
Please dont get me wrong, I think it is going to be a fantastic boat. With the possible exception of the new Mercury , it is impossible to get a better motor than the Yamaha F series. It is not a coincidence the majority of off shore outboards are Yammie F's.
I am naturally a paranoid person and it is killing me to not be able to work out this glitch. I went to my shop tonight and crawled under the boat again and looked at every seam and rivet. The entire bottom is flawless as is the transom.
My whole life I have used the goose season to keep my mind off of boating but this year that is all I could think of while laying in the dekes.
I think I need to join a support group. Oh wait, this is the support group!
[signature]
Did you check the coast guards website? They have a recall section, and a quick google search stated that some g3's were recalled due to hull failure. That's about as far as I got reading the search results. I would post a link but I searched on my lap top and am now on my iPad
[signature]
That sucks Shane. I can't wait to get that beloved Crestliner in the water!![bobhappy]
[signature]
I'm not familliar with that boat but one thing that you could try if your boat has live wells is to fill them up and plug the drain port. Then open the drain valve to fill all of the lines with water to see if there are any cracked hoses or fittings.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Fill the live wells with a hose before you intentionally put her under the drink. I had a leak in my boat, granted it's not exactly like your boat, and I took it to a local boat shop. They were more than happy to replace the cartridges in the pumps but it still leaked. I tore into it and ended up replacing everything cheaper than the boat shop charged me for two cartridges. It took some time and it was a p.i.t.a. but I learned a lot about my boat.
I wish you the best of luck but being cocky about your motor is not going to keep your boat above water, freshwater or saltwater. A Yami will sink just as fast as Merc [:p]
[signature]
I like that idea, thanks.
[signature]
You are right.
A sunken motor is just an anchor.
[signature]
Shane, wish I had known the boat leaked before I accepted the invite to go fishing with you this spring. Hope you get it fixed, I am not a great swimmer, and the water is cold in the spring! Maybe I will just go with Rowdy, his boat don't leak.
I think the idea of filling the live well on land is a good one you should be able to see whats going on and maybe check the thru hull fittings as well. Good luck.
[signature]
C'mon Gary, I thought you were a betting man!
I'll bet we don't sink and just in case I will throw in extra life jackets.

I am sure it is going to be a simple fix that I am just making in to a big problem due to cabin fever.
All my worries will be forgotten as soon as we are netting a couple nice pike!!!
[signature]
Make sure all of you plugs are out and fill your live wells with water. Look to see if water comes out of the drain. I took my boat on aits Maiden Voyage after i had bought it. My live well hose on my front live well had a good sized crack in it and was hidden in a Hand access hole area in the front bow in the Cabin. I had it on Deer Creek right after I bought it and noticed something wasnt right. My bilge pump wasnt working so we headed into the marina and pulled it back on the trailer. I opened the Main Drain plug and water ran out for twenty minutes. It had to have had between 3 to 5 hundred gallons it seemed. Might be worth a check. Those hoses do wear out.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips.
Those live wells sure are nice but do open a door to problems.
Only fishermen would ever invent a system to pump lake water BACK IN to a vessel designed to keep lake water OUT!
Oh yeah, and wakeboarders. But we already know they are a few lures short of a full tackle box.
[signature]
+1 on the live well hoses. Pretty sure one of mine leaks, well someting in my livewell leaks, I don't use that livewell as te access points are insanely bad on my boat.

I only throw large Lake Trout in them anyways, JK thought I'd throw some humor into the mix.
[signature]
livewell pumps are cracked maybe the bilge also
[signature]
We had a beloved Crestliner Phantom 2100. It would do the same thing everytime we used either of the livewells. It seemed like it was a leak in one of the fittings.
[signature]