Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flies For Beginners
I will be teaching a youth fly fishing class in April.
I was wondering what flies you might suggest as basic starter flies for the kids to use.

We will be fishing at The Meadow Creek Community Pond in Roy and later a trip to a stream.

For the Pond I was thinking:
Small Leaches
Zebra Midge
Scuds

For streams:
Pheasant Tail
Prince Nymph
Copper John
Hair's Ear

What other flies would you suggest?
I want to keep the total amount to a minimum for cost.

I could also use a few volunteers to help me with the class.
[signature]
Wolley Bugger
San Juan Worm
Glo Bug
[signature]
[quote sinergy]Wolley Bugger
San Juan Worm
Glo Bug[/quote] +1 I learned on wooly buggars and San Juan's. perfect starter flies
[signature]
I agree with all mentioned but throw in Royal Wulff and Caddis. Nymphs work killer on ponds.
[signature]
I'd add a few dry flies to that... Maybe an Elk hair Caddis, or, my favorite, a Goddard Caddis. Parahchute adams possibly.

I guess I was idle for a little to long, Joni beat me to it. Whoops Smile
[signature]
I see that I forgot dry flies.
Royal Wulff, Griffith Gnat and Caddis are great choices.
[signature]
+1 on the Royal Wullf. I learned to dry fly with this when I was a boy. Easy to cast, easy to see, floats well, and looks amazing on the water.
[signature]
I would use a few old school mixed with modern:

Drys - Caddis (meat and potatoes of the fly world), Renegade, Adams, Foam Hopper, Foam Hi viz Beetle - no sense in a Griffin there wont be any midges.. Think summer season

Streamers - Bugger - Leach

Nymphs - phes tail, some new flash, SCUD, SOW

Also: You should make an attempt to involve Weber Basin Anglers. They are the TU chapter for No Davis / Weber / Morgan and Box Elder Counties. Contact Kelly Marquart or Scott Pickett >>> Their Facebook Page ==> [url "http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/117177011636234/?fref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/117177011636234/?fref=ts[/url]
[signature]
Oh my heavens..

DK I just looked up your profile. Dale it's Layne here. Man, what a small world.

I KNOW Weber Basin Anglers will step up and help. At our Utah Regional TU meeting last weekend, out reach was a key subject.

How can I help?? Call me, you should have my cell phone number.
[signature]
I've been fly fishing at pond for quite some time.

Rainbows= prince nymph, Black woolly bugger with a small bead weight and a sliver flasher, red or green copper john.

Bluegills= zebra midge, elk hair caddis, blue winged olive, red or gray scuds.

Crappie= red or green scuds and copper john.

Bass= woolly bugger and frog poppers

Other alternative flies if the insect is out would be grasshopper, adult damsel, and black ants.

On the streams I've been using black gnat because they just started hatching a few weeks ago and you can never go wrong with egg patter with some split shot weights.

As well like Hank Patterson told me one day you can never go wrong with some holiday eggnog floatant.
[signature]
I sent you a PM.
[signature]