Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing in the rain
thinking of beating the sun on saturday and noticed the weather called for AM showers. Hows the fishing post/during rain at mead?
[signature]
Some of my best days on Mead have been in the rain.
[signature]
Dito
[signature]
maybe ill head out tomorrow then and see if i cant see any.
[signature]
what they said
[signature]
when it is nasty the big ones bite
[signature]
went out today 1-1.5 foot swells at the worst, rain washed the skunk off and my bro and i each got some little schoolies. did laps around government wash with a yumbrella and we each got hit on the center trailer.

We were marking fish at 30 feet tons of them, whats the best way to get the lure down to them on a yak? i was seeing bait schools just above them at 20-25 feet, shoulda have brought the scuba gear and a pole spear prob coulda get a decent one.
[signature]
If it is raining at the lake as much as it is here in the NW end of town then it goes the other way fishing. Not so much Stripers but LMB/SMB. The water will be super dirty/dingy with run off and that is no good on Mead.

At least my experience...
[signature]
this morning was a fast sprinkle to a light rain, wasnt a full on downpour. Thats when we both got our hits within a 10 minute window.

how long after a downpour before itll pick back up? i might try it tom AM again just for the heck of it.
[signature]
Glad to hear you guys hooked up. If the fish were sitting in 25-30 of water, I would either troll a deep diving crank rated at 20' with a good amount of line out. Or, drop a 2oz jig down to them. Norman's makes some 20-22' divers that are available at walmart and any heavy jigging spoon will do.
[signature]
Strike Kings new 10XD crank. Beyond 25 foot when trolled. You can hit 25 on a decent cast. (I know for sure)

Big sucker...
[signature]
when the water is churned up, i have always had luck trolling for stripers with a black/gold rapala.

Don't know why it works, but it does.
[signature]
nice ill have to look into a few of the deep divers, any experience with the dipsy divers? I was thinking i could just attach any of my lures to this and hit the 20-30 mark.

Also would having the lure above the fish be better then below?

IE say the fish are suspended at 30 and i have 2 lures a 25 and a 35 would the 25 hookup better or does it matter?
[signature]
Greedy Striper on a SK 10XD crank being trolled last weekend.

[Image: LakeMead_03-02-13_003.jpg]
[signature]
Above them.

I don't think you will like dipsy divers. I don't. I have several and they pull so hard that you have to have the drag set super tight and you really need a rod specifically designed for them. Something at least in the realm of a MH rod or better. It really takes most of the fun out of catching the typical Striper on Mead. Just a big PITA to use a dipsy.

If you want to go deeper I'd go down the route of a 3 way set-up with a 2-3oz weight to get deeper verse using a dipsy.
[signature]
black and gold i think i have a few laying around. might need to spend a bit more time on the lake, today was just to get out a bit before work so it was nice.

ive been debating using an old broken rod i have as a "down rigger" and maybe using a 2-3oz weight with a clip on it so i got the weight to go down but ill still get a good fight.
[signature]
I was hitting 30ft depths with that 10XD on 15lb fluorocarbon and 2 mph speeds. A decent cast back plus letting some line out. No line counter on that reel so guessing 100-150ft of line.
[signature]
i think im over thinking this, i may just go KISS on this and get some of the deep divers, some divers and i already have the various top water plugs and rat l traps. On those deep divers any colors you might suggest? at 15 bucks each id prefer to not have to buy 20 haha.
[signature]
You can hit 25-30 feet with a 5" swimbait with a 1.5oz head on it trolling at 2mph with ~200ft of line out (65lb braid) Due to line drag going up on weight a little doesn't get one much deeper (like a umbrella rig with 2 x 1.5oz 5" swimbaits on it.) At least with 65lb braid with is about the same diameter as 17lb fluorocarbon.
[signature]
Wolfs is correct, you'd rather be above them. I'd say within 10' is good. They're more likely to rise for a bait than go down.

Yeah, you would want special heavy gear for dipsey divers. And it would take the fun out of dinks. If you ran into a biggun, you'd be glad though. An improvised downrigger could work, without taking all the fun out of the dinks. let us know if you try it.
[signature]