Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked posts?
What is up with all the locked posts? It seems a bit excessive. I could see if it was all foul crude language and pics of naked girls but WOW I just start enjoying reading a good heated debate and BAM locked up.
[signature]
Could you post some pic of naked women? [cool][:p]
[signature]
There is a almost naked woman in the fishing ad right now to the left of my screen [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][cool]YES[cool][cool]
[signature]
For various reasons:
1) Personal attacks, one right after another
2) Banned users coming back with new usernames and trying to cause the moderators grief

Be aware that many times a member only sees the "cleaned up thread" that has been locked, but never sees the posts that were deleted or sees what was edited. Believe me, I would prefer to never have to lock a thread, but if we didn't the forum would quickly become out of control. If you happened to see Doug Miller's old forum or the old Utah Fish Finder forum you know what I am talking about.
[signature]
You can always go to thegutpile dot net if you want, no locked threads there, but here i would have to go along with it was getting out of hand rather fast between a few. I come here for positive chat, reports, infomation, Sssshhhhhh...hot spotting..[Wink] (and the big one, to see where duckdog is in the ice contest so I know what I need to take first........J/k..Duckdog i don't think I will catch up to that score of yours). I don't come here read a pissing match.
[signature]
The other thing is, it is that time of the year. What I mean by that is, every year at ice off and before people can get out and fish their favorite body of water this kind of thing happens. Members get bored and some start causing trouble and the mods have to work overtime to keep up with all the edits, deletes and bans. It can get ugly and I wish it wasn't this way but when you have thousands of people looking at and some of them posting on a web site every day you are going to get some bad apples. Of course none of them are that bad but when they all start causing problems at the same time, well you saw what happened today, locked threads, banned members and a lot of deletes and edits.
[signature]
no worries this is my last year for the ice contest on here

i like fishing for trout and you cant win it just fishin trout spent to much time at utah lake and yuba this year when i should of been after tigers but just wait i got those big ones locked in now so just a matter of time till you see a state record c&r im sure i already lost one
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]For various reasons:
2) Banned users coming back with new usernames and trying to cause the moderators grief

Be aware that many times a member only sees the "cleaned up thread" that has been locked, but never sees the posts that were deleted or sees what was edited. Believe me, I would prefer to never have to lock a thread, but if we didn't the forum would quickly become out of control. If you happened to see Doug Miller's old forum or the old Utah Fish Finder forum you know what I am talking about.[/quote]

Yep. It's a two way street. Some members are begging for criticism and others are all too willing to dish it up. Endless cycle.

The majority of us just enjoy sharing reports or reading other people's reports and viewing all the great pictures other members take and share. But there are some who you can obviously tell don't get enough enjoyment out of those things, they feel the need to belittle, prod and harass each other for enjoyment. That shouldn't be tolerated.

I'm glad you guys are stopping it instead of letting it go on. Good work.[Wink]
[signature]
Two words - "Cabin Fever" - think it's been nailed.
Some are bumming that the ice is going soon (my sled and auger are still in the car!, but so are some long poles)
others are fed up and sick with the cold crap, and itching for open waters. I hit both, just a matter of location, location, location.

Hmm - what do they say a picture is worth?

[center][inline 295360_10151107212175033_2145453948_n.jpg]

Whose got ice-off itch? Praying for a thaw?
[inline 321416_197341753744801_1767230675_n.jpg]

You really ready for open water? Once it warms . . .
[inline 552429_107914082687569_1982139569_n.jpg]

And in the immortal words of my little green friend "Judge me by my size do you? Size matters not, look at me?" followed by "I don't believe it", and "THAT is why you FAIL!"

[center][inline HUGS.jpg]
[quote kentofnsl]For various reasons:

Be aware that many times a member only sees the "cleaned up thread" that has been locked, but never sees the posts that were deleted or sees what was edited. Believe me, I would prefer to never have to lock a thread, but if we didn't the forum would quickly become out of control. If you happened to see Doug Miller's old forum or the old Utah Fish Finder forum you know what I am talking about.[/quote]

The reality is that you and other moderators have always been too quick to delete/edit posts and way too quick banning people on this site. I have long felt that this site would be much better if debates were allowed to be played out and often posts are edited that really shouldn't be (editing a post, for example, that you simply think is "dumb" is probably overstepping what your designed post is supposed to do or be). I liken the moderators over here to the cop who just itches to write tickets--sure, they have the right and power to do so, but sometimes their decisions are made simply because they have the power instead of on common sense and logic. Some of the more recent "moderations" to threads have been nothing short of silly and/or dumb...!

And, for saying so....I might be edited and banned! Because, heaven knows, you don't question moderators over here...!
[signature]
The forum guidelines and rules seem simple enough to understand... they are there for a reason and they should be followed.

I completely disagree with you. When you are chosen to be a moderator, it's your job to uphold the rules. There is a job that needs done. If you are a moderator and won't do it, step down and let someone else. That's my opinion.

I think the mods are doing a good job and like I've said I'm glad they are being more strict. This place would be a zoo without them.
[signature]
I've been a mod, a super mod and even a forum administrator on other boards. It isn't easy. Enforcing rules often involves arbitrary choices because few situations are black or white. The limitations of internet "speech" are mostly because text doesn't reveal emotion without vocal tone and facial expressions. What is meant as humor or honest opinion can appear to be sarcasm or insult.

I'm guilty of that very thing, by the way.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I've been a mod, a super mod and even a forum administrator on other boards. It isn't easy. Enforcing rules often involves arbitrary choices because few situations are black or white. The limitations of internet "speech" are mostly because text doesn't reveal emotion without vocal tone and facial expressions. What is meant as humor or honest opinion can appear to be sarcasm or insult.

I'm guilty of that very thing, by the way.[/quote]

I don't disagree with you... but because it is subjective and easy to misinterpret sarcasm for insult... people should take that into consideration.

The biggest problem I see is not the mods being overzealous and throwing their weight around unfairly...

What I see is a bunch of people who come here to prod and insult and get a kick out of it. It's how they enjoy themselves here... by being a thorn. Those people need to find something else to do. This isn't the place for that. And if you allow them to come here and get their kicks that way, they will... if you enforce the rules of no harassing other members... it will stop. Pretty simple.
[signature]
Sometimes overzealous and empowered mods should just back off instead of jumping the gun and editing posts...many times what a mod thinks is an insult or an attack is really just ribbing. If mods were to just back off, I bet they would find that most threads wouldn't get too out of hand...

...the problem as I see it is that mods aren't striking a balance. Sometimes, they need to sit back and watch things with a little sense of humor!
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]

I think the mods are doing a good job and like I've said I'm glad they are being more strict. This place would be a zoo without them.[/quote]

Balance is the key...some of the other wildlife/fishing sites are much less moderated and are nowhere near a zoo. Look at Utah on the Fly or Utahwildlife--neither of these sites are a zoo yet both are much less moderated!

[#000080]No links to competing forums, it's in the rules, on the internet, so it must be true.[/#000080]
I greatly appreciate the work our moderators do to keep this board at the level of quality it has attained.

If a person wants blothiating ignoramic postings that drive away mature, intelligent, and useful posters, there are plenty of other forums where a free-for-all pissing match can be had. Gladly, this isn't the place for such debased garbage, and thankfully so. I don't find the quality of posts you find here on other free-for-all places.

Thank you moderators for your work!
(no brown-nosing intended, just a sincere thanks for the work to make it more enjoyable here. I can know that posts will be topic appropriate, and mostly free of time-wasting drivel.)
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]Sometimes overzealous and empowered mods should just back off instead of jumping the gun and editing posts...many times what a mod thinks is an insult or an attack is really just ribbing. If mods were to just back off, I bet they would find that most threads wouldn't get too out of hand...

...the problem as I see it is that mods aren't striking a balance. Sometimes, they need to sit back and watch things with a little sense of humor![/quote]

[cool][#0000FF]Not a surprising stand from someone who has a long tradition of pot-stirring and heated (pointless) debate on overworked subjects on this forum. You and your brother have been the cause of several formerly valued BFT members leaving the forum. And you were also successful in harassing me to the point that I gave up being a moderator on this board.

It sometimes seems as if you wait until someone else expresses an opinion and then you jump in with an opposing view...regardless of what you really believe. You just live for the action.

The number of useful contributory posts you have made are far outnumbered by your controversial posts.

My sympathies to the current moderators. Glad I am no longer responsible for dealing with guys like you and your brother.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The problem with moderators--like the one you used to be--is that they don't like discord or disagreement. But disagreement is inevitable on forums where the questioning of reasoning behind decision making and those who make decisions are allowed...

....if this site just wanted people who slap each other on the back and never disagree, it should ban all threads that complain about the whys and why-nots of fisheries management as well as any threads that cater to disagreement by stating opinions. The problem my brother and I have had with you, pat, and others is not personal, it is with some of your opinions, many of which are stated as facts and simply are not.

What my brother and I are really passionate about is fishing in Utah....what is often irksome to us is the ignorance many fishermen on this site and others show. Ignorance that, with a little research and education, may otherwise be avoided. The interesting thing about this site and others are the number of personal messages both my brother and I get about fishing in Utah. Our level of useful contributing posts to this site is a matter of subjectivity...what you consider controversial posts are often those posts that simply and bluntly tell people how it is. I have NEVER stated something on this site or any other fishing site that is contrary to my real opinion. When I disagree with someone, it is my real opinion.

The thing that really irritates me about these edited posts and deleted threads is that I have yet to see an individual reprimanded or edited when personally attacking those who work with the DWR or who make decisions. To me, this is blatantly hypocritical.

I am also glad that you are no longer a moderator...you were one of those overzealous ones!
[signature]
[quote wormandbobber]The problem with moderators--like the one you used to be--is that they don't like discord or disagreement. But disagreement is inevitable on forums where the questioning of reasoning behind decision making and those who make decisions are allowed

. . .

I am also glad that you are no longer a moderator...you were one of those overzealous ones![/quote]
It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable. And in such a an environment without the personal attacks (such as this thread is tending towards already), voices are not "shut down", and the discussion can be much more robust. But personal attacks like you display do nothing to further what you purport to engender.
[signature]