Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell?
Im headed up to lake powell in a few days. has any one been up there lately fishing for bass. If so how was it? water temp? baits? details please [Wink]
[signature]
Check out Wayne Gustaveson's information website Wayneswords.com for the most recent reports and conditions. He posted a new report yesterday.

He is the DWR Project Manager for Lake Powell and he's been there practically since Day 1 or at least Day 2.
Mike
[signature]
ok cool i will check it out
thank you
[signature]
[Smile]We fished the last three days of Febuary it was a tough bite we finally had an awsome day the last day we were there. The water temp stayed 43 and never warmed up. It's the lowest I've seen it in a long time. We caught a bunch of big largemouth and walleye and strippers and only two smallmouth. They did'nt like plastics at all. All fish were caught on shatter baits and crank baits. I'd try anything that makes noise. Good luck
[signature]
Good to know [Smile]
thank you
[signature]
[quote magnaman]All fish were caught on shatter baits and crank baits.[/quote]

OK, I'll bite. What are shatter baits? Never heard that one.
[signature]
[Smile]You can buy them at tacklewarehouse.com just pull the site up and type in shatterbait in and they will come up. They are similar to a spinnerbait. I hope this helps.
[signature]
[quote MisterCompletely][quote magnaman]All fish were caught on shatter baits and crank baits.[/quote]

OK, I'll bite. What are shatter baits? Never heard that one.[/quote]

[cool][#0000FF]If you look up "Chatter Baits" on your search engine you will have better luck. They are made with a specially shaped blade attached to the front of the lure...usually a jig. It runs flat-faced and vibrates like mad..."chattering".

[url "http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/catpage-chatter.html"]HERE'S A LINK[/url] to a website with pics.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm headed down to LP, too. Week of 3-24. Going to Wahweap ... But concerned about full moon that week, but can't reschedule. Has anyone done well during a full moon?

Chatter baits are new to me. Think I'll try some while I'm there, maybe behind a large flasher. Are these cast or trolled?
[signature]
I'm also thinking of going possible on Thursday. I've been following the water temps and forecast for the past few days. Water temps are up 4 degrees to 47 in the past week. Warmer weather ( highs 70's are forecasted) by midweek as well. Some of the side canyons will probable warm well into the 50's in shallower water. Keep your fingers crossed.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Chatterbaits are mostly cast and retrieved...like slow rolling a crankbait. When rigged on a jig and trailer or on an action plastic bait they really add some lively wiggle to the plastic...as well as sending out lots of vibrations. This can be the key in cold and/or murky water when the fish are not relying strictly on visibility.

Great for bass, walleyes, northerns and tiger muskies. They also stir up big trout...especially where they are feeding on crawdads.

Some guys swear by them as a trolled lure. And if you are fishing over a fairly level bottom with not too much snaggy or weedy structure you can do well with them. Amazing to watch the vibration on your rod tip.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Any experience using these on Stripers? I have seen some anglers trolling a large fly about 24" behind an 11" flasher and that really gives the fly a lot of wiggle, but no noise. I have tried this in Navajo without success, but suspect there is some slight modification that would make all the difference.

Actually, I have most success with just a rolling anchovie, but would like to catch more on cranks. Always interested in new twists!
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Haven't heard of anybody trying them on Powell, but past experience has proven that the stripers will hit just about anything you are throwing for largies and smallies. That includes all kinds of cranks and spinnerbaits...especially when they are cruising the shoreline.

There are a few guys that fish the big stripers below dams on the rivers back east that use a chatter blade ahead of a big white grub and catch some big fish. I'm sure they would work under the right conditions on Powell too. As the fish get bigger and feed more on the larger gizzard shad something with more profile and action could get some attention.

Hard to beat feeding those Powell fish some anchovies. They love them. Don't even have to put them on pizza.

When the stripers are boiling in the fall it is harder to find something they WON'T hit than something they will. If you find them they will bite...usually.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Chatterbaits are mostly cast and retrieved...

They also stir up big trout...especially where they are feeding on crawdads.

[/#0000ff][/quote]

I lost a bet to a buddy at Strawberry one day. He swore he could catch a cutt on a chatterbait, and I told him he was nuts! Two 5 lb fish later I owed him lunch! Fred K.
[signature]
Cutts are predators too, anything that puts off the right combination of flash, vibration and movement will get the attention of predatory fish.

I would have lost that bet too probably though, I would throw a large # of lures before thinking of a chatterbait for trout.

Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]No surprise on the cutts. The bigguns eat meat and have long been known to be drawn to rattling cranks. Late in the year they are suckers for big expensive Lucky Crafts.

When I first started playing with some chatter blades added to some of my jigs I took a few over to Willow Park Pond. It is clear and is a fave spot for testing the action on new stuff.

On my first cast with a chatter jig I was marveling at the feel of the vibrations and the obvious jiggling on the end of my rod on the retrieve. Then I looked down into the water and saw two pretty big planted albino trout taking swipes at the active lure. They were silly hatchery fish though and had not taken any classes on how to chomp a big jig. But it was comical seeing them all hot and bothered.

Had to push some doofus into the water when he kept casting over my line to try to snag one of those fish. Wouldn't have been so bad except he was standing on my foot at the time. Some people.

Had quite a few taps and whacks on various sizes and colors of the chatter-rigged stuff in that pond but never hooked anything. Have caught wipers, walleyes, smallies and other species on them since. Even got a big ugly daddy cat on one.

I have been experimenting with making my own chatter blades from Colorado spinner blades. I flatten them and then drill holes in the appropriate places with a small drill. Whaddayaknow? They got a pretty good action. Now I gotta introduce them to the fishies. Anxious to try the small ones on white bass soon.

I have also modified one of my jig molds to be able to pour a 3-wire Alabama rig. Gotta finish rigging them and trying them on open water. See pic.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]
Sometimes it pays to think outside the box.[/quote]

Yes it does! That same day that my buddy caught those nice cutts on a chatterbait (actually a Nichols Chatterbox), I noticed that the cutts were hiding in very shallow weeds with about 1 foot of water over top. I decided to try burning a spinnerbait and had several slashes at the bait before this guy got ahold of it (pic 1)

The will also drill a wakebait (topwater) at times (pic 2)

Its been my experience that a lot of fisherman around here seriously underestimate just how predatory trout are. Fred K.
[signature]
You fishing the tournament??
Me too..[Smile]
[signature]
Sure am Smile
Its gonna be a good time. Alot more people fishing it this year.
its good to see people getting into this sport. Its a blast
And can pay off some big prize money. [Wink]
good luck to you bassrods. And i will see you down there Smile
And who knows maybe we will be paired up together one of the days
[signature]
Ahhhh! Trying to do a bit of pre-(information) fishing are we? See you there man! Good to hear there are a bunch more folks signed up this year. I am headed down to pre-fish thur and fri with my boater. See you at the meeting.
[signature]