Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter time modifications to the boat
Last fall I got a new, not new to me but NEW 1996 Johnson seahorse 4 hp from my uncle. I took it in to a boat shop in Twin Falls this winter and let them look it over. They started it and went over it well. They said it was good to go and to use the Johnson break in. So I mixed up some 25-1 gas and put it in a barrel for the first hour like it wanted. The normal gas mix is 50-1 but for the first 10 hours they want it 25-1. So I mixed up some more and I took it to Hagerman for a run. I didn't take a fishing rod since I was focusing on the break-in. I probably should have taken a rod. Trout were jumping like crazy and there was a hatch of some kind of bug going on. Any way, one of the things I needed was a place to put my gas tank. I needed it high enough that the water wasn't going to be a problem so I decided to put on a new set of side boards. I am not sure if I will stay with that location or move the take forward to get more weight up front. I am going to have to play with it a little. Ron

[Image: Img_0087_zps4a3df68a.jpg]
[Image: Img_0088_zps3b525371.jpg]
[Image: Img_0089_zps5d1f4272.jpg]
[Image: Newsideboardssmall_zps1b213b5b.jpg]
[Image: Launchsmall_zps4b305a0b.jpg]
[signature]
Wow, that will get you across the lake.

I thought about them but never liked the smell or sound so I'll stick with electric. Let us know how it works for you.
[signature]
I see the need for rivers and great mods Ron. Simple and clean.
Gas motors on stillwater are not all they are cracked up to be. In my opinion you still need the electric for the holding in the wind or moving very slow.
We didn't use ours at all last year.
And for the record, ours was a four stroke and while not as quiet as electric, not too bad and no smell. Now reaching back and pulling the cord every to you want to turn it in got old.
On stillwater you want it to pull you. The Coleman will do that without turning them around, I think Ron mentioned. He can tell more on those.
But the four stroke, you had to turn the motor around..which goes back to the fact they go a little too fast to troll.
Great for getting across the lake fast though and rescuing strays[laugh]
[signature]
I agree 100% the gas motors are just a pinch too fast for trolling on these small boats. I like .9 to 1.1 mph for trolling for walleye. My 2.6 coleman is slower and I can get down to the 1 mph range with it. If I am pulling my son's boat I can defiantly get down that slow and if I am dragging a fish basket I can easley get under 1 mph The 4 hp on idle is 2.4 mph or something like that.,Way too fast. I think when I go to trolling for walleye, I am going to put on the electric motor for that. I will try it first and see. Gas motors on Still water is a bit overkill unless your moving spots and long distances. The Gas motor is not as handy due to start up. Both of my gas motors are actually very quiet. The 2 stroke might actually be quieter. The exhaust comes out under water so that muffles it quite a bit.

Both motors are the same in the regards that they can be both turned around to pull instead of having a reverse. I did some trolling with the gas motor last year pulling my son and it worked good. I never did it by my self so that is one thing I plan to do.
Another place the electric motor is nice is fighting sturgeon. Getting out of the current, using it to put more pressure on the fish, Maintaining placement in the moving water. I have been thinking about mounting the electric on with the gas some how. I need to work on that too. Ron
[signature]
good looking rig, lets race toons now! [:p]
[signature]
In all fairness Zach, Ron considered the U shape but wants to land the Sturgeon at the open end...the end your gas motor is mounted[cool]
[signature]
I MORE than considered the U shape toon. I called Boise and asked if they had one and I was heading that way. Boise Cabelas was out. If he wants to hook up with a sturgeon in that U boat I can hook him up. Ron
[signature]
you know Ron, i might take you up on that offer. I have a Scadden Avenger with a gas out board as well. I have never caught sturgeon as large as you have. when spring sets in a little more ill send you a PM... a word of caution, i dont know if i remember how to use a spinning reel or baitcaster style reel.
[signature]
[quote kochanut]you know Ron, i might take you up on that offer. I have a Scadden Avenger with a gas out board as well. I have never caught sturgeon as large as you have. when spring sets in a little more ill send you a PM... a word of caution, i dont know if i remember how to use a spinning reel or baitcaster style reel.[/quote]

That is me as well, however, I did do it when I was a kid.
But I will get one on a fly. Got a couple of other guys that are on the same quest.

Ron knows where they are and how to get after them, I would definitely take him up on the offer.

Plus I would LOVE to hear how that 12' boat and the 4HP motor do on that stretch of the river.
[signature]
Well the good thing is all you have to do is drop it straight down. No casting involved. Ron
[signature]