Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie from Kentucky
Hi everyone. I've moved to western Kentucky from the west coast and didn't bring fishing gear with me. I like to fish for crappie, bass and catfish mostly but I'm open to anything. If you were going to buy new fishing gear (mostly for bank fishing) what would you put in your tackle box and what line would you use? Thanks for your help!
[signature]
Hi Mike. What part of the West coast are you from? I'm in Skagit count Washington.
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][size 3][font "Calibri"]Welcome to the site. There is a lot of information and a lot of opinions available on BigfishTackle. I have only been a sponsor for a short timeand have already met a lot of great guys and gals. When you get ready for that new gear hit me up, I might be able to save you some money.
Good luck and enjoy the site. Ron[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Mike. As far as what you need to fish in Kentucky, I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend. Do you need a rod and reel or just tackle? For crappie 6 lb test line is all you will need but for bass and catfish 8 to 10 lb might be a better choice depending on the size of bass and cats in the water you are fishing. You could start off with 8 lb test and change up if need be. As far a hooks and weights, again it depends on how you will be fishing. Check your local regulations, if live bait is legal, go to a local bait shop and buy live minnows, ask them what hooks to use for the type of fish you are trying to catch, get bobbers and head to the lake. When I have fished in the South using minnows, I would hook the minnow behind the head so it could swim freely and put it three or so feet below the bobber, cast into a likely spot, brushy areas are usually good. With this method you could catch crappie, bass or cats. IMO this is the cheapest method for catching fish but you could also buy casting lures, spoons or plastics but you will likely spend much more. There are an endless amount and types of lures, spoons or plastics you could buy if you go that route but just getting started minnow or worms below a bobber is hard to beat. Good luck and let us know how you do. By the way have you been on our [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=30"]Kentucky board[/url] yet?
WH2
[signature]