Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard and Utah Lake
Thank you for your posts. There will always be debates on here. The catch and release guys vs. those who harvest legally, the trout purist vs the pan fishers, those that think someone gave to much info on their honey hole. The list goes on. In the end we are all fishermen. I enjoy reading about the outings others go on and the fishing reports. Please continue to share the information. You can be assured that the debates will continue, but, there will always be good information on tackle, techniques and good fishing spots. Even in the debates some good information can be gleaned from the post. Again keep posting and Good fishing
[signature]
Oh I see... That make sense though. Well thanks for clarifying and I'll continue to post.[Smile]
[signature]
One DWR guy that did care was Tom Pettengill, a biologist who grew up angling walleye in the upper midwest, and brought his passion to Utah. I believe he did great things for Willard Bay, which he considered to be his "home water", and was focused on Utah walleye. I believe he also had something to do with the shad and wiper introductions. But I understand he left Utah several years ago, and since that time it does seem that Utah DWR has had reduced interest in walleye.

I for one sure hope that changes. I grew up here in the state, and of course fished almost exclusively for trout most of my life. But I cut my teeth on walleye at Yuba during the boom cycle down there, fishing for several weeks before finally catching my first eye. I was hooked! Chasing eyes became an obsession with me for several years, and made for some of my finest fishing memories. I now live near Willard Bay and consider it my home water. I absolutely HATE seeing the inlet open for fishing during the walleye spawn! An "unutilized fishing opportunity"? You mean an opportunity to target the mature spawners when they are most vulnerable, and possibly with illegal methods. Is there not ample opportunity enough at Willard Bay without having to open the inlet for a few weeks in the spring? There are many true anglers who have genuine concern for the future of the bay and its fish populations than with that small "opportunity" for a few harvest hungry individuals that don't care. Willard is one of only a couple quality walleye waters left in the state. Please fight to keep it that way!
[signature]
I for one want to thank you for posting about this chance to do some early fishing at the Bay.

BFT has thousands of members and is the largest fishing web site in the state of utah, because of that we get a lot of different opinions. As moderators we try to keep uncontroled arguements to a minimum but that is hard to do with the amount of members we have. It is Sad when some feel they have to attack other members because they disagree with them wanting to share fishing reports and information. Sorry you had to see that on your first report, if you ever feel that you or anyone is being attacked for making a fishing report or sharing information with other members please feel free to hit the "Report Post" button, it really helps us find problems faster. We do not want to drive members away from BFT but if it comes down to banning members, we will do it ever time, if they attack members for posting fishing reports and sharing info.

I was out there at the inlet for an hour yesterday from 1 to 2pm, I must have seen you there, were you fishing close to the baffles? Went again today for two hours but no luck for me. I did see a lot of fish caught, the CO officer even made a sweep through the area checking licenses.
[signature]
u are such a genius,wiper mac i make a coment about the channel being open and u call me a fool well i seen the snagging operation back in the sixties it wasnt a pretty site. but then again how old are u id say way to young to even have a honest opinion but u dont even have a clue about the deer herds of the sixtis and the seventys,maybe u need to talk to ur grandpa and ask him about the good old day.[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
OOOH BOY!! Looks like I'm goin to WILLARD!!
[signature]
Yup that was me, catching nothing but snags lol. But today was a different story. Update for 3/19: I got there at about 11:30am and caught my first eye in 5 mins. I caught my second an hour later. It then went cold for me the rest of the day. I left at 8pm. But there were others who were catching them. Pic posted.
[signature]
I saw you there today when you caught that first eye, I was down by one of the guys with a dog. Nice looking eyes. Were you fishing near a couple of your friends?
[signature]
I was just there alone. But I have met a lot of new people this week who have been "regulars" there. I'm pretty sure I saw you there also. I was fishing away from the baffles about 3rd person down.
[signature]
I agree with you in that I feel the inlet should be closed during the critical spawning period. I recently talked to an individual who has been fishing it fairly regular and he said he has seen very few walleye caught that were hooked in the mouth. They are fishing in the evenings. I guess if the snagging in the inlet doesn't reduce the numbers enough maybe the diesel spill at the North end of Willard will. [:/]
[signature]
Just wait until I spill the beans about the THIRTEEN Northern Pike I caught at "The Abyss" on Utah Lake -- don't worry, I released them all unharmed. If anyone wants exact locations, PM flyfishinglover, he was there. (he caught like 86 more fish than me, all of them double my size, and all of them on a worm-fly-worm)
[signature]
There is no opportunity at willard bay, never caught an eye there in 20 yrs!
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Hey - hey - hey. You just admitted to a no-no on a public forum. There is a mandatory keep and kill regulation for northern pike on Utah Lake.

Some people's kids!
[/#0000FF]
[signature]