Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard and Utah Lake
I don't care one way or the other. I was just pointing out the power of the internet. Now thousands are able to set their records straight.[angelic]
Continue......
[signature]
Should have read it it before I jumped the gun but, the dates are ingrained in my head[crazy]. It has taken the walleye a long time to get to where they are at today.
[signature]
I agree that removing this reg cant help walleye at willard. I am disappointed but none the less that is the new reg. I remember what it was like back in the mid to late 70s.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]The happy harvesters and the snagging contingent are least likely to get their info from the internet. They have their own network.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
We are still talking fishing, right?[Wink] Well, if I were to want a Walleye, I now know a great spot to do that....good stuff[Smile]

Google the title of this thread.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]That inlet channel is going to be a great place to make hundreds of new best friends for a while.

I prefer to wait until they open the South Marina to launching and then find my own spots.

Wanna rematch this year?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Absolutely!!! Pass is still good till June, so give a shout.
[signature]
It's too bad you cannot make a "citizens arrest" or citation.

If they aren't going to enforce the laws and rules, even when they get a call from someone like you.... well then why even have rules and laws in the first place?

What a joke!
[signature]

BEST OF FISHING TO YA !!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
Seriously, his post didnt create a problem
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]Still at it, huh? This forum is for providing information to fellow members. Sorry you think that all waters are your own private preserves and that nobody else can spread the word.

The WORD is out. All of the fishing information sources...like Sportsmans, Fish Tech and others...are also spreading the word.

Contrary to your opinion, BFT is not singularly responsible for all places in Utah becoming heavily fished. A lot of the yo yos at the inlet don't even have computers or know how to operate one.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
YES I AM still at it as long as i buy a license evry year i will have an OPION like the others that are concerned about these post all sites [Wink]
and i see you are still at it being the worlds most knowledged interent fishing PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]SCARY! Kinda like fishing HELTER SKELTER.

Peace. Room for all of us.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Its really hard to believe that the channel is now opened during the walleye spawn. I remember the snaggers who would keep every fish even the females who were dripping eggs. Hopefully the dwr officers will be monitoring the hordes that will be at the inlet now. If it gets as bad as it was maybe there could be something like an emergency closure.
[signature]
I wanted to thank everyone for their interest regarding the management of Willard Bay inlet channel. An integral part of our mission as the state’s wildlife management agency is to improve and develop fishing opportunities for the state’s anglers. In the case of the Willard Bay inlet channel, an agency review of this closure determined that the channel presented an unutilized fishing opportunity at Willard Bay, the opening of which would not have an adverse impact on the reservoir’s walleye population.

The closure of the inlet channel to fishing was put into place decades ago to curb the snagging of walleye that took place each spring when spawning adults typically swim up the channel. At the time the closure was instituted, the decision was both a social and biological issue. The issue was social in that it that illegal snagging was not adequately prevented. It was thought the issue was biological as well, and our previous understanding was that the amount of spawning adult walleye each year in Willard Bay determined the relative success or failure of future year classes of walleye. Our current understanding is different. The latest research around the nation as well as the data we’ve collected over the years suggests the abundance of young walleye each year in Willard Bay is influenced by environmental variables (spring water temps, wave action, water levels, etc.) and not by standing stock of spawning adults. Our next consideration was whether or not the illegal snagging by anglers, which was the cause of the initial closure, could be prevented this time around. Our law enforcement officers have had a strong presence at Willard Bay over the past several years and they intend to continue strong enforcement of the regulations at this water in the future. With these thoughts in mind, our agency put a proposal before theWildlife Board last year to lift the closure of the channel, with the intent ofopening up an additional fishing opportunity to anglers and that proposal was approved. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) has really strived to solicit public feedback in recent years. We have implemented surveys, open houses, listed potential regulation changes on websites (including this one), we have used printed media as well as the formal RAC's and Wildlife Board process. Our efforts in using the best fisheries techniques available as well as attempting to work more effectively with our constituents have never been a higher priority. So the question is....If we have addressed this biologically and been diligent in working with our constituents as thoroughly as possible then where did the process break down?

Drew Cushing
Warmwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

[#0000ff]just cleaning up the stray brackets. This is a good read. Thanks.[/#0000ff]
Drew, Thank you for offering that explanation. I dont know that the process broke down. I think there is a legitimate concern over the snagging and illegal harvesting of walleye. If the DWR presence does indeed control that, I think fewer people will be upset. Snagging and keeping more fish over the size limit is one of my concerns. I remember the old days so to speak. It was refreshing to note in the original posters comments that he was "carded" several times during his fishing trips. Most of the issues I saw long ago were at night. I am not sure how many guys will be out checking at night but there should be some.
The small sampling of opinion here may not represent the majority, so again I can not say that the process used broke down.
Again thank you for the explanation.
[signature]
[quote Gumbyk]I release all the females. And yes you can fish the inlet. I was carded 3 times on Saturday and asked if it was okay to fish the inlet and they said yes.[/quote]

Seems like the COs were making their presence known.
[signature]
You are welcome. We will keep a very close eye on this regulation change. Our law enforcement officers have committed to this as well.

Drew
[signature]
Drew,
That is all we can ask.
Thanks
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]I did not mean to imply that I thought the "system" had broken down. I am keenly aware of all the surveys and work that goes into the management of Willard and other waters.

My primary reaction was because of my remembery of the old times...with all of the snagging. If the Division has taken that into consideration and has control measures in place than it will probably reduce it some. But we both know it will not stop it. There was snagging going on at night last year...even with the closure in place.

If anything, there is surplus of walleyes in Willard Bay right now. But the dwindling wiper population needs all the help they can get in keeping the shad numbers down. Always a big balancing act.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]