Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will be taking our 14ft aluminum boat for the first time in the upcoming weeks, advise please
Its a 14ft aluminum semi v style boat. 35lb minn kota motor. we have life jackets, spare paddles, rope, spare plug. and other items

I've read some of the checklists,

http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/checklist
How necessary are some items?

Do I need a fire extinguisher?

Can a baler be as simple a cup/bucket to throw water over?

The decal plate is missing from my boat, its an 82. How necessary is that?

Since i have an electric motor i don't need liability insurance, right?

What else do we need to complete before we take it out or have/know?

It is probably obvious, but this is our first vessel, brother and myself, and first time boaters, we would appreciate any helpful advice or criticisms. We are planning to take a boater education class in the near future.

Thanks
[signature]
also. We are considering utah lake for the first outing. how will the lindon harbor treat launch virgins? Suggestions are welcome.
[signature]
[quote BridgerM]Its a 14ft aluminum semi v style boat. 35lb minn kota motor. we have life jackets, spare paddles, rope, spare plug. and other items

I've read some of the checklists,

[url "http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/checklist"]http://stateparks.utah.gov/boating/checklist[/url]
How necessary are some items?
[#ff0000]Some you have to have, some you don't.
[/#ff0000]Do I need a fire extinguisher?
[#ff0000]No, not for the size of boat you have.
[/#ff0000]Can a baler be as simple a cup/bucket to throw water over?
[#ff0000]A bucket would be best, 64 oz cup would work.
[/#ff0000]
The decal plate is missing from my boat, its an 82. How necessary is that?
[#ff0000]I did not have it on my old boat but if you get stopped, who knows what they could say but a lot of older boats don't have them.[/#ff0000]
Since i have an electric motor i don't need liability insurance, right?
[#ff0000]Right, only needed it if your motor is 50 hp or larger but your boat is licensed, right?[/#ff0000]
What else do we need to complete before we take it out or have/know?
[#ff0000]You will need a signaling device, like an air horn. You might need a throw cushion.
[/#ff0000]It is probably obvious, but this is our first vessel, brother and myself, and first time boaters, we would appreciate any helpful advice or criticisms. We are planning to take a boater education class in the near future.
[#ff0000]Only thing I can tell you that I found out while using an Elec motor, they drain the battery fast, so don't go too far from shore and remember there is a big difference between a deep cycle battery and your car battery. Car batteries drain a lot quicker than the deep cycle type.
[/#ff0000]Thanks[/quote]

I can't tell you much about the areas you want to fish but send a PM to TubeDude, I'm sure he could give you some good info about them. Hope this helps, good luck and let us know how it goes.
WH2
[signature]

wiper hunter : i have a similar question re; a new boat in utah
does my new, to me , old 12 ft jonboat that i will only power by my electric motor need to be registered and numbered ???thanks
[signature]
Yes it will need to be registered.

They require it on anything that has a motor on it wether it is gas or electric.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I agree, even float tubes have to be licensed, if they have motors of any type.
[signature]
a bow nut and wh2

I,m so used to throwing my kayak in the water...thanks...
[signature]
Thank you for the replies.

I have a deep cycle marine battery that came with the boat looks fairly new, less than 1yr i'd guess. There is trailer wiring rigged to charge the battery while connected to the tow vehicle. Is there a way to estimate how much time it would take for a full charge and how long that would last?

The registration is good until May, but will re register the boat with the truck asap.
[signature]
If you have a deep cycle battery it will depend on what speed you run it on and what the series is on the battery. 4 hours is an average at mid speed with the motor on all the time. If you are not running it constantly it will last longer, if it is the largest size battery, it will last longer. I have the largest size 12 battery available and can run it at on 4 of a 5 speed electric motor for 6 hours before it starts slowing down. Do not count on the trailer wiring to charge your battery, get a decent 10/2 amp battery charger and charge it with the two amp trickle charge after every use, if you want it to last for many years.
[signature]
I was mistaken. It is a dual purpose marine battery. Duralast 24md dl to be specific. I understand this is not the ideal type for a trolling motor, but if this will work for a year or two then I can live with it and replace with a deep cycle when the time comes.

I looked at chargers today, found one at walmart that seemed like it would work. Schumacher speedcharge 15amp. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XCS...gMethod=rr thoughts?
[signature]
Looks like a good charger, just use it in the 2amp charge mode and you should be fine, unless you need it charged quicker than one day.
Until you get use to how far you can go on a charge, I would not go out for more than three hours, unless you stay within paddling range and always carry an extra paddle or two[Wink], good luck.
[signature]
I run a 12ft flatbottom Jon Boat, and have a smaller gas motor, but probably use my electric troller most of the time.

Couple suggestions - use good gauge wire, and install a breaker - probably need 50amps. A spare battery has been handy to have. DO charge up right away. A drained battery stored loses life lots faster than if you keep them juiced.

I got a cheap electric bilge pump in addition to carrying a bail bucket, and YES there are times you'll be glad to have them. A horn/whistle - yeah. Life jackets for every boater (some spare cheap oranges one's aren't a bad idea), but you do want a "throwable" floation device. Can double as a bench cushion.

Also - don't go up the creek without a paddle, or set of oars. I saved a ski-boat that had motor trouble and was trying to paddle into the wind with a ski.

Good luck. Sure you'll have some fun.