Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killin a couple hours on the Jordan River
Had a couple hours of free time and didn't want to watch TV, so I went down to the mystery fishing buffet that we all call the Jordan River. Caught what I thought was a couple carp and then one nice channel cat, which was a surprise to me... I always thought the channel cats were tough to get until it warmed up quite a bit. Turns out the "carp" I thought I caught was a sucker. Anyone that knows for sure? It's the pic with the fish in question next to my foot.
Oh well, either way it was nice to be out and get looked at like a crazy person by all the people on the river trail. Joke's on them, I caught fish.
[signature]
First pic, carp then two of the sucker, and nice catfish. Looks like a good day.
[signature]
I really didn't have high expectations for catching fish down there. I was pleased with the catfish and really pleased with the carp, until it came to surface to show itself and I remembered there were carp in there. I thought it was something nice up until I saw it... Ha!
Better than sittin on the couch though!
[signature]
1. Carp
2 and 3. Utah Sucker
4. Nice catfish [angelic]

Trust me those carps and suckers are really active. No matter where i've been fishing on the river I end up catching a few carp and tons of Utah suckers. I actually caught a catfish on the river 3 13 13. Thought the same that It was weird catching a catfish then and even in the winter. Oh well it's nice to pull out catfish and hope this year will be good.

Jokes on them ha ha ha. For me I can't pull any jokes on people because no one can see where I am ha ha ha [laugh]. Those carp and suckers are true suckers when the time come for me too relaxing and pulling them out of their home.

This year Jordan river is being pretty nice so far but it will just keep getting better especial whenever we get the warm weather and I'm hoping to find some Large Or Small mouth bass again [Wink].

Keep up the JR reports man
[signature]
Nice, thanks for sharing the pics! Yeah... I wasn't exactly off the beaten path down there. A lady on a horse and a herd of deer both caught me off guard and scared the hell out of me, though.
I figured with all the different fish a worm and a split shot would be my safest bet for some fun. Do you ever use anything else down there? I'd never caught a cat on anything besides shrimp or chicken liver, but I had heard of people using worms successfully.
[signature]
Ya no problem [cool]. Ya it's scary when random stuff pop out of know where. Last time I was fishing by my self and out of the trees their were a few deer just jumping around then my pole almost went into the river and in the end I caught a fish ha ha ha [crazy].

For catfish I use white bass meat and worms. Haven't use shrimp and chicken liver in a long time on the river.
Usually when I'm fishing the river I just grab some worm on a #2 hook and 1 oz weigh with about 1-3 ft of slack from the hook to the weight. As well sometimes spray some crawdad scent to catch the fish.

Basically fishing is good only for carp and suckers. If your lucky you might catch a walleye or a catfish like you did. About 2-3 weeks the white bass will be out and active like crazy. Wait till June for bass if you know where they like to hide.

When you see white bass go crazy. Keep some and use them as bait right away make sure its dead not alive ha ha ha. I personally use a 1" X 1" or just 1/2" X 1/2". If your in some deep poles toss a nice 3-4" piece. Might end up catching a monster catfish.

Let's all hope the water levels will go up because right now it's low and slow. I'm so tempted to find the mother load jumbo carp that snapped my line last year after the bell flop it did. Looks like this year their shall be some new line upgrade. [pirate]

Get off the coach as much as you can and enjoy the great out doors. [cool]
I'm just happy that I can't stand being inside for a long time so time and time again there will be Jordan river trips.
[signature]
I will admit, if you haven't already noticed, that I'm not very familiar with the JR. I've fished down by the pump house several times and done well with whole shrimp on size 2 and big egg sinker. Haha today I was floating that worm on a number 6 and one of the smallest split shots I own... adding to my surprise when I got the cat.
As much as people talk about how much fun the river can be I thought I'd give it a fair shot. I know there's not much likelihood of a wall hanger coming in, but catchin fish is fun no matter how big they get. Though I will admit you won't find pictures of me standing next to 12 small trout, hahaha.
I was also surprised at the water level and clarity. Probably the first time I've seen the bottom of that river!
Just a side note... My buddy lives by Thanksgiving Point-ish. He knows virtually nothing about river fishing and he caught a bunch of those yellow belly cats about 100 yards from his back yard. I was kinda hoping I'd get into those, but maybe as far north as I was? I dunno.
[signature]
Same here. I just started fishing it a little last year but this year I've adventured into the river in area for mile to find something good. I usually use heavy sinkers to keep it on the bottom especially in the big currents. For me small or big fish I'm just happy to get out of the boring house.

Those yellow belly cat fish would be mud catfish ha ha ha as well they don't get big and you can catch tons of them on summer nights. There really easy to catch in the summer. Just a #10 salmon egg hook with a tip of worm and weights.

I had nights that I caught tons of 2-6" of those guys in the summer. Just found a few 12-15" but nothing bigger.
[signature]
What do people use for white bass down there? I've always just caught them at the like on little white tubes.
[signature]
Please remember to kill every carp you catch.
The JR is no different than the biomass situation of carp vs. game fish of Utah Lake.
If you want more walleye, channels, all three species of bass, perch, rainbows and browns than the carp must go.
If we all pitch in we can turn the JR around just like UL is getting turned around for the better.
The JR should be the jewel of the Salt Lake Valley.
Years ago there was a proposal to dam up the Jordan near 11000 S. to create a recreational reservoir. It was deemed the Jordan did not provide enough inflow to keep the new reservoir 'fresh' enough. What a shame it did not happen. Can you even imagine how fun that would have been.
[signature]
Basically I catch carp, catfish, and suckers.

I catch them on small crappie squide tubies, tailgrub, yellow rooster tail , rainbow cd 5 or 7, and worms.
[signature]
If I kill the carps at my spot it will end up being all sucker ha ha ha. There's day I think if killing but other days they are fun to catch ha ha ha. Maybe we can clean up the place a little bit with less carp in the river. Don't want them to destroy the river. Oh wait that's to late untill we kill every carp we catch....
[signature]
That is cool you like to fish the JR, I love it too.

Just think what could be in your fishing hole if those carps were not taking up all the space and forage!
[signature]
Very true as well the dnr should put up a program that a dumpster should be in ever Jordan river parking lot and even every lake parking lot with that holds carp so we can dispose all the carp that we catch instead tossing them on shore for them ton died and stick the place up.
[signature]
Just ventilate them and return them to the waters.
[signature]
Let's all watch hundreds or thousands of dead carp floating off them coming back to shore. Lets hope they sink instead of returning to shore.
[signature]
Plastic garbage bag works well. Garbage pickup every week. Plus makes great gardens.
[signature]
For me my garbage is full of garbage every week so that's not really possible to put 20+ 20" carp. Not sure if my parents want a carpy garden smell ha ha ha. It's interesting how many 20"+ carp are where I've been fishing lately [crazy]
[signature]
Sounds like you are catching them all though[Wink]
[signature]
Yep and it looks like I might have to clean up the JR a little bit ha ha ha.
[signature]