Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lncoln Beach Ice and Fishing conditions 3/16/2013
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I made a resolution this year to post my trips, exciting or not, so here’s the first one of the year. Saturday was just too warm to sit by and not go fishing so I headed to Lincoln Beach with my old tube. The wind was out of the NW so the ice was stacking up in the southern part of the lake. The edge of the ice was about 100 yards north of the harbor entrance so I decided to head for the slough mouth to see if there was a white bass around. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"][/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]I “launched”the tube from the beach about 200 yards south of the boat ramp. I ended up walking the tube most of the way because of the low water and some technical difficulties. I fished one rod with shrimp for cats and one with jigs for whites. From 6 to 700 P.M., I had only 2 tentative hits on the bait and nothing on the jigs. The wind picked up a bit I turned to see that the ice had gotten alot closer so I headed back toward the car. I stopped a couple of times to cast and kept an eye on the Ice movement. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]About dark I had another pick-up and spit-out on the bait rod. About 8:15 P.M. I conceded that the skunk was going home with me and started wading back the last 400 yards to shore. I dragged the bobber and bait and walked slowly, just in case. When the empty tube started dragging, I decided it was time to really quit. Just then my bait rod gave a solid jerk and it was fish on! Having only half a foot of water to work with hefished splashed with every movement. I assumed carp because of the size and the way the rest of the trip had gone, but it turned out to be a nice channel! The skunk would have to go home with someone else tonight. [/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Calibri"]So, as of Saturday, you could launch a boat at Lincoln Beach, but you had only a small area of open water outside the harbor. Unless the wind direction changed, you couldn’t get to the point. One small boat was fishing just outside the jetties, but I can’t report on their success. Open water should be here in a few days.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Good work on a nice kitties.
[signature]