Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friday Fish Hooky
[size 1][cool]It's been about a month since I've been fishing, and I had cabin fever. Actually, I had several different fevers. But, TubeBabe gave me a kitchen pass, my sore ankle feels better and the weather forecast was good...so, I broke away from work and went fishing.

[Image: escapefromwork.jpg]

After the recent rains, our dewpoint and moisture level in the air was such that there was a cloud over the lake. It made an interesting pic.

Launched my Fat Cat about 7:15 AM on Saguaro Lake. Air temp was 50 and water 70. There was steam rising off the lake. Another cool pic.

My first cast with a propeller topwater caused a major eruption at splashdown. Scared the heck out of me...and a couple of old timers casting flies for the newly planted hatchery pet rainbows. One of them said "Man, I don't think I would want to be attached to something like that." I didn't hook the first hit. The second hit, a few minutes later, resulted in a "conservation" release as the six pound largie went airborn and threw my lure back to me.

The commotion brought in four bass boats...all in violation of the no boat zone, inside the buoy line. I had to get out of there to avoid being hooked or hogtied as lines and lures went whizzing by my tube. I wish a ranger had come around the point to catch them. $75 fine, but they didn't seem to be too worried. They also didn't catch any of the fish I left behind.

Sun hit the water and a ripple came up about 8:30. I kicked out to a rocky ledge going out at the mouth of the cove. Vertical jigged a white roadrunner and had a good thump. Brought a nice 3 pound walleye to the surface...and watched him swim back down after he spit the jig back at me just as I was moving him toward the net.

Now I was talking to myself. Fish 2...TD zip. I tried to tell myself that the third time was the charm. An hour later, I dispelled that myth. When I tried to lift the little white roadrunner off the bottom, while vertical jigging, it wouldn't move...at first. When I tried to pull it free...IT MOVED...like a freight train. I had a big channel cat. But, with the med light stick and 6# line, I could do little more than try to stay in the game until he got an insane desire to come up and shake hands (fins). After several short random runs, he put the line over his shoulder and headed straight for a buoy rope. I think he had been there before. He was actually towing me in my tube as I applied as much pressure as I could, without breaking the tough Excalibur line.

The fish made it to the buoy anchor line. I felt the sickening grating of the line on the chains a split second before I was no longer connected to the fish. Three strikes and I should have been out. I actually considered just bagging it and going home. It was getting close to mid day, and I had left some things to do that should be done.

But, since I am in eternal (infernal) optimist, I rerigged with another white roadrunner, stuck on a oiece of fresh cut yellow bass meat and started a slow zig zag back to the beach. My scheduled time to be off the lake was 11 AM. At 10:59, something slammed my little jig and the battle was joined. This fish was not as big as the laat one, but fought well. It charged toward the bank and I felt the line catch on something. I hoped it was not the underwater tree that had cost me several fish in the past. It felt different, and it was. It was a large clump of the aquatic weed growth that is usually gone by this time of year. The Excalibur had mowed about an acre of the stuff and as I brought the whupped kitty to the tube, it was wrapped in greenery. I didn't know whether to net it or bale it.

I kept the chunky little 3.8 pound female channel. She was 21 inches and in very good health...until she reached my fillet board. Dinner for two.

Turned out to be a nice Arizona day. Water temp was still 70 as I beached,...just the same as the air temp. The newly dumped hatchery pets were ganged up in only a few inches of water, between the shallows and the weedlines. As soon as more of the lake's big largemouths discover those troutlets, it will get to be good bassin'...with those big trout colored swimbaits. But, man that is a lot of work...chunkin' those big things all morning.

Guess what, folks. I did not have ice in my guides and I did not slip on the snow around the edge of the lake either. [/size]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Glad you could get out. Is that hole your escape to go fishing? Taking a picture of them (boat registration number included) being inside the bouy line would be great.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JR, that hole is indeed my escape hatch...from the "booby hatch". One of the guys on the Utah board wondered if that was my solution to "calls of nature" so that I did not have to leave my office. SILLY.

I gave up on even trying to deal with the boating idiots...especially the bass crowd. Their attitude is that if you are not in a tricked out bass sled, you are not a fisherman, and you have no rights. And, when I confronted one of the guys by reminding him that they were in violation...and subject to a $75 dollar fine...he simply said "They gotta catch me first"...meaning that he felt his hydroblaster could outrun the ranger boat. He did not even consider that there is only one place to launch and retrieve your boat...and if he is seen in violation, the rangers will be waiting for him. But, then again, that requires rational thought...and he did not qualify.

I did take a picture of a couple of guys who almost bumped my tube once. When one of them said "What's that for?"...I said "I collect pictures of #$$holes, and yours will go on the front page of my album. A few minutes later, they fired up the big motor and ran all over the area I was fishing, before blasting out past the "No Wake" buoy line.

I am a big boy, and entirely capable of taking care of myself. But, with all the crazies out there these days, I choose not to force any issues. There are too many folks who make the news by protesting injustices against them by idiots. Unfortunately, many of them are also in the obituaries. Until I become impervious to bullets, knives, PWC and speeding boats, I will bite my Tongue and wait for my opportunity to get even.

Sadly, the rangers do not accept photos of transgressors. They will, however, sometimes repond to radioed requests for help or reports of drunken boaters. But, a complaint from a lowly float tube fisherman would not likely get them out of their air conditioned offices to run up the lake to check it out.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

It still irks me. Wrong-doers in public are generally such half-wits you begin to understand WHY the police act only on certain perps behavior. I guess if they got all the idiots, they wouldn't have time to protect us from those that are looking to do us harm from the get-go or... space to put them. ha ha but..... not really a laughing matter.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]I do appreciate your immoral support. In the summer it's the waterskiers and PWC. In the cooler months, the bassers hit the water and are actually more obnoxious in many cases. Again, they act like the guy with the biggest and most expensive bass sled has the rightofway...and float tubers are beneath contempt.

But, I have given some of them a fishing lesson. I just love to battle in a biggun, hold it up for them to see and then slip it back in the water...just before I hook another one. Drives them crazy when I am inside the no boat line and there is a ranger patrolling the area.

Got a deal working with some exiled terrorists to purchase some RPG's (rocket propelled granades). I think a couple of boat sinkings will get those guys' attention. Hope I can bring up BFT on the prison computers.
[signature]
Hey TD, It wouldn't be such a bad idea to create some new underwater habitats for the fishies there. Heck, they sink ships all the time in the ocean just for that purpose. Sounds like a lot of fun.

How many RPGs should we bring with us when we go for Thanksgiving??
[signature]
[cool]Let's just think about the PIEs instead of RPGs this trip.

By the way, here is the weather forecast. Hope it stays as promised. Might add in some cooling lower extremities due to immersion in lake waters. Maybe some sudden high temperatures on some fish fillets.
[signature]
man alive, I dont envey yuou on this one. Cops cant figure out why road rage is so rampant.

I beleive the first offence of road rage should be an automatic 6 month supention of your license. In michigan the laws are changing, you now need a drivers license to drive a boat with a motor bigger than 10 horse. and all the laws of the road apply to the water.

I too was running in to that kind of harassment this year just wading in 3 foot of water till one day one of them saw me pull out the cell phone. they stayed away from me for the rest of the summer.

after reading your post I am now concidering that picture phone.... if the cops get on line with new service thing they can have a picture of the perp in action along with the statement of a witness, the perp will only be able to plead insanty for his actions. If the cop dosnt come to your aid, you will be able to sue the cops for not responding.... and ya want to talk about catching poachers and other types of violators....

Its going on week 4 for me, cabin feaver is starting to set in here too.....
[signature]
There will be plenty of PIEs and they are kind of donut shaped but they still have the middles intact. There will also be sudden flurries of whiped cream throughout the night.
[signature]