Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
inlet snagging
If you need backup let me know. I dont mean physical backup...... but more or less moral support[Wink]

One Idea, I think the inlet needs more stucture. A bunch of chicken wire with cinder blocks ought to do it. Should be impossible to get a jig back.........[fishin]
[signature]
For many of the Willard crowd this time of year, the eggs are just as desirable as the fish itself so don't expect to many females to make it back in the water from that group if any. It's Sad, but true.
[signature]
+1 for walleye over wipers anyday! I guess I'll start saving my gas money now for the long drive to starvy for some good walleye fishing. Cause if the dwr keeps this bull crap up for to long Willard will not be what it is now. Just when it gets good it gets changed! Lets not keep what's working good by god.Close the inlet get them so called fisherman out of there or just close it for the spawn that would make me feel a hell of alot better.
[signature]
I love how tough and big a lot of you guys have became over the internet this site has some up and coming anglers meaning smaller kids and you guys want to talk like your gonna do something to somebody that does things most wouldn't do! Great example guys but I promise this you guys aren't the biggest anglers on the lake so don't act like your the biggest and baddest out there
[signature]
I'm not one of those hot heads that's always looking for a fight. I actually try to lay low because there is always someone meaner and tougher. Its a little naive to think that my joke of a threat to throw someone in a lake is going to have a negative affect on a kid. They see and hear worse every day before breakfast. That being said if I get wound up I will stand up to people, on the internet or otherwise. I'm truly Angry about this change. I might be more willing to agree with it if the dwr would stock enough/bigger wipers to keep the fishing good.
[signature]
[quote fishjon]So my old man told me a story...

He said the bubble up at Lindon use to be close to the shore, but they had to pipe it out in the lake because of constant fights breaking out. Well, me and my bro are thinking if there is enough strain on the local pd having to come out because of fights and riots they'll have to shut it down. The plan is to simply release any fish we see fouled hook. Take them out of buckets or off stringers... Whatever it takes. I'm bigger and stronger than anyone I've ever seen fishing out there and my brothers definetly meaner. I'm scared of him. We wouldn't hurt anyone. If someone wanted to make an issue of it we could just throw them in to cool off. I know I could throw most of that crowd farther than i can flycast. [Wink]Anyone in.[:p][/quote]

i dont condone violence in any way shape or form, but if this goes down, and i hope it does not, and you need a partner, ill PM you my number[Tongue]
[signature]
Did anyone call the poaching hotline?
[signature]
Hello everyone.

I just wanted to take a minute or two to let folks know how/why this regulation was changed this year. I would like to also clarify a few misunderstandings as well.

The regulation was changed because our biologists who manage Willard Bay, have gone to great length and effort to understand the various fish populations (walleye and wipers included) indicated that walleye harvest is way down and the population is high. There have been egg survival studies that are specific to the willard inlet at the south marina. Due to the heavy sediment there walleye that do enter the south marina and spawn don't contribute to the walleye population in Willard Bay. The eggs just get covered with silt and die.

The DWR law enforcement wanted to NOT penalize all anglers for the illegal activities of some knuckle heads. They felt and still feel that they can curb the illegal behavior by having a consistent presence. From the sounds of of several of the posts here, the DWR enforcement folks are indeed out there daily.

The DWR advertised this as a potential regulation change in the news, we presented it at the RAC and Wildlife Board as well. Not one person........and I literally mean not one person spoke up, sent any email, or letters to the DWR opposing this. Although we had the biology behind us and the commitment from our Law Enforcement folks to enforce the laws we were wondering how the public would react to the potential change. The DWR felt comfortable with the change when no one opposed it.

My question to everyone is what constitutes an emergency here?

Is the emergency now, due to a lack of public involvement by anglers last fall? Because this is a social issue and not a biological issue we needed to hear from the anglers at the proper time and place to react to a social desire. We can't read your minds. We can measure fish and respond to law breakers but we need YOU to be involved appropriately.

This is very much like not voting and then being a chronic complainer about what initiatives passed and who was elected.

The reason the DWR supported this opening is to provide additional opportunities for anglers. Biologically this opening is/was a non-issue. That said, our job within the DWR is to also manage conflict. It looks like we failed here.....largely because we didn't hear from the anglers when it really mattered.

The DWR would very much appreciate your presence at the RAC's and Wildlife Board to address this and any other issues in the future. After all these are your fisheries....Our job is to understand the biology and manage your fisheries the best that we can. We need your feedback to understand the social side of our fisheries.

If anyone would like to call and discuss this further. Please call me at 801-230-6119. This is my cell number and I would be very happy to discuss this with anyone at any time.
[signature]
I love to eat Walleyes. But haven't gone back to the inlet since my first and last trip. the attitude of the fishermen boils my blood. the definition of snagging : "means to take a fish in a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily into its mouth." it dose not state buts it's okay if you did not mean to hook its tail, back , belly .
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Thank you for the clarification. Your input on the forums is always welcomed and appreciated.

"There have been egg survival studies that are specific to the willard inlet at the south marina. Due to the heavy sediment there walleye that do enter the south marina and spawn don't contribute to the walleye population in Willard Bay. The eggs just get covered with silt and die."

I suspect that a lot of the concern stems from the idea that the abundance of fish in the channel might be returning to specific areas where these fish themselves were spawned, much like salmon. Do walleye also return to the same areas where they were spawned? Or do they simply seek out what they perceive to be suitable spawning conditions wherever they happen to be? I had always assumed that these fish in the inlet were returning to their birthplace.

Even if these eggs in the inlet are not expected to survive, do the fish themselves die? or might they be expected to possibly spawn somewhere else with more success next year?

Since DoWhatWeCan has a full time job and monitoring these forums might be a second full time position, can anyone else here knowledgeably answer these questions?
[signature]
Oh this is priceless !!!

To all the whiners and crying and big talkers and even peps wanting to take the law into your own hands, that have been posting on this thread......

An adault just schooled you!!!

Thank you dowhatwecan... I am lmao right now!!
[signature]
[quote dowhatwecan]The regulation was changed because our biologists who manage Willard Bay, have gone to great length and effort to understand the various fish populations (walleye and wipers included) indicated that walleye harvest is way down and the population is high. There have been egg survival studies that are specific to the willard inlet at the south marina. Due to the heavy sediment there walleye that do enter the south marina and spawn don't contribute to the walleye population in Willard Bay. The eggs just get covered with silt and die.
The DWR law enforcement wanted to NOT penalize all anglers for the illegal activities of some knuckle heads. They felt and still feel that they can curb the illegal behavior by having a consistent presence. From the sounds of several of the posts here, the DWR enforcement folks are indeed out there daily.

The DWR advertised this as a potential regulation change in the news, we presented it at the RAC and Wildlife Board as well. Not one person........and I literally mean not one person spoke up, sent any email, or letters to the DWR opposing this.
The reason the DWR supported this opening is to provide additional opportunities for anglers. Biologically this opening is/was a non-issue.
Our job is to understand the biology and manage your fisheries the best that we can.[/quote]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]+1000! Thank you Drew. One of the few intelligent voices in the wilderness. I took the liberty of quoting some of what you wrote. I highlighted some key points.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]As to whether the inlet should be closed or open at this time of year, I could care less. Combat fishing has never been my style and I don’t plan to change at this point in my life. But I do have a major gripe over this issue and that is the seemingly inconsistent understanding of snagging and releasing snagged fish. According to the reports being posted here, it appears like a lot of folks being confronted out there by BFT members are of the opinion that you CAN keep a snagged fish if it was not intentionally snagged. It certainly DOES NOT say that in the Guidebook. But, then again, the Guidebook isn’t really that clear on the matter either.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]There are just 2 references to snagging in the Guidebook. There is a definition that states "Snagging or gaffing means to take a fish in a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily into its mouth." And then there is a statement that says "You may not take or land a fish by snagging or gaffing, and you may not have a gaff in your possession while fishing."[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Having written dozens of technical documents over my working career, I can tell you that the second statement could have been written better such that nobody could interpret it to mean that it is legal to keep a snagged fish if the snagging was unintentional. And just how are you going to remove a lure or hook from a snagged fish without ‘landing’ the fish? And just exactly what constitutes ‘landing’ a fish? That term is NOT defined in the proclamation, so it could just be the interpretation of a CO that you did, or did not, illegally ‘land’ a snagged fish.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I’m not at all Confused about the issue. Based on the poorly written description of the issue in the Guidebook, I’m of the opinion that any and all snagged fish must be immediately released regardless of the intent to snag or not snag. But you might just want to have somebody in the DWR take another look at the wording used in the Guidebook.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Removing a tremendous number of walleye primarily by snagging is not creating opportunity, but a breakdown..

While it is possible they may not sucessfully spawn due to silt/sediment where they are caught/snagged, they are a valid part of the overall population that can be legally pursued in the main body of the lake.

Being a highly prized game fish it is a shame to see them harvested via being impaled in the body.

As far as low harvests of walleye? Where is that data? Could not believe the numbers of walleye being taken from the lake last year and at the fish cleaning stations.

If more harvest is desired, why not increase the limit to 7-8 fish instead of slaughter of spawning fish?
[signature]
I put reviewing and clarifying the snagging rule on my "To Do" list for this upcoming year.

Thanks,

[Image: surprised.gif]Drew
[signature]
[#ff0000]What was the date of the RACmeeting you are refering too[/#ff0000].
(This question is for anybody not just Drew).
[signature]
Thanks Drew. I can see why the inlet was reopened. I just wish people would obey the laws given them.
[signature]