Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Tying
I struggle sometimes to be able to tell the difference between flies and the other day while at a fly shop someone told me that learning to tie my own flies will help with the learning curve of learning different fly patterns. Do you guys agree to this? If so do you know any good start kits for learning to tie flies?
[signature]
I do think it helps a great deal. Basically because you will see many different insects that are tied the same. Differences being material, color and size with subtle differences.
A hatch book could help, but tying really locks it in as you pay more attention to details.
See where you live, I recommend this kit:
http://www.fishusa.com/Wapsi-Deluxe-Fly-...Kit_p.html

A company known for it's quality material, and flies that are very important to this area. Every single one of those flies will work in the Rocky Mountain area.
Get a grasp for it then upgrade to better vise, bobbins, and scissors, plus more material for the flies you like.

Tying your own is the best satisfaction and really can spark creativity. Tons of great tutorials as well like CHEECH and CURTIS or anoth one of MY favorites Davie McPhail.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Oh yes DEFINITELY! BTW when you catch a fish on a fly you created - well that's the icing on the cake.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]