Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead 3/22/13
[cool]Haven't fished in awhile and thought I would go out after work. Wind was to be 6 to 11mph from NW and then switch( like it always does) to SE. Started in the tube from Rocky point heading south against the wind; a SE breeze about 10mph. Got to the main channel and it switched to NW with a vengence. I stayed in a protected bay and jigged up one bite before starting back.I tried to round the point and could barely move. The wind was at least 25mph with gusts to 35mph. White caps and 2.5ft waves. I decided to hike back into the other bay. I hiked the ridges to the other bay( about 1/4 mile), put in and kicked to Cresent Island. I went thru the submerged land bridge( which took 5-7 min. of hard constant kicking to clear) and finally made it back to the point close to my launching area. I hiked back to the truck and had a beer very thankful not having to hitch a ride back from Arizona. Just another lesson learned the hard way about when in doubt, get out. And don't always trust the weather guys. I checked three weather services about the wind(weather.com,national weatherservice,and accuweather) and they had the same; SE then switching to NW. It was completely backwards. Just something to think about. Don't be like me and do something foolish. The heating pad and Advil are working on my tired knees. Good luck out there and be safe.
[signature]
You will never learn! I'm just glad I wasn't with you.

I think you need to find a more reliable weather source.
[signature]
Ouch!

We wanted to go to Mohave this weekend, but the wind kept me at bay. Ended up fishing the wash sunday 3/24 in the boat. Wind had died down from the weekend, but the fishing SUCKED!!!! Lots of gizzards jumping around, but the bass were reluctant to bite.
[signature]
[cool]I guess I went out because of a line from a Dirty Harry movie.
"A man has got to know his limitations". Well I found my limitations on wind in the tube. Now to do something smarter for a change.
[signature]
Your not alone. I have made bad decisions on the water a couple of times. I had to spend the night tied up to the bathroom in swallow bay one time while 50 mph winds blew. It was so bad even in that bathroom cove that my boat cleat ripped off around 2:30 am and I was stuck holding my boat with the rope on one end while trying to keep from blowing off the floating pisser. I ended up making a run for boulder at first light and had to run my bilge the whole time as the waves were coming over the bow. Not smart.

Last month at a tourney on Mohave, I ran into 6' rollers. 3 boats got damaged or swamped, I sware I have never seen something like that here, out on the pacific; sure. I should have taken a picture, it was just nuts. It can get crazy out there and often these weather guys are just dead wrong. I always wear my vest and I have a waterproof handheld marine radio.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, Mohave can get hairy also. I hit 4' rollers on my Seadoo and about knocked my teeth out. Good call on the waterproof hand held radio. I will have to look at those.
[signature]
[quote vegaskid] I always wear my vest and I have a waterproof handheld marine radio.[/quote]

Does anyone even monitor the marine channels at Lake Mead?
[signature]
Absolutely. All staffed marinas and NDOW both mobil and base stations monitor vhf channel 16, the emergency channel 24 hours a day. When I had a slip at callville, I could radio them from channel 8 or 11 I beleive for a tow during operating hours.

Last year my little brother got lost outside of the narrows at night and then ran out of gas and spent the night drifting through the narrows. (He did not take the radio from my other boat like I told him too) The next day, I got a call from NDOW (main office on Vegas Dr.) saying they had my boat with a person in it claiming to be my brother drifting through the virgin basin. I confirmed he was my brother and allowed to be in possesion of my boat and then I asked if I could talk with him. They asked if I had a VHF radio, I said yes and grabbed my handheld and switched to channel 13 (only use 16 during initial mayday) I talked to him from my house.

I never go out without my vhf. Easily the difference between being rescued or being stranded.
[signature]