Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11/14 Premier Trip to Catalina

Hey there guys,

This report might be a bit too detailed but here but I'll still have to mention tackle used too.

Left the Pierpoint landing at the usual 7am (Winter schedule) on the Premier (14 knot speed demon). The load was a light 20 anglers (rides 90+ anglers) or so. We got anchovies for chum bait (had sardines for a long time till now) and a little squid (not even 1/4 of a tank-not complaining really!!!!)

Went straight to the V's at the backside of Catalina on the east end. (no paddies, no lines stopped on, few porpoise)
Both the Persuit and the Sport King and a few PB's were already there. No additional squid pickup! boo hoo!

The fish wouldn't bite on the chovies but natually they loved the squid. 24 fish were put on board with maybe 40 fish hooked up. I got 2 fish for 3 hook ups. Everyone was using 20+ lb line even though the fish were averaging for the last two trips between 8 and 10 pounds (skippers orders). Does anyone believe that lighter line might get more hookups!!! ha ha ha

I took my usual 4 or 5 rigged and ready setups but ended up using just two. I love my Izorline Premium gray line, 1/4oz sliding egg sinker and 5/0 medium wire circle hook setup. It's great not to have to re-rig when you get bit off on a hot bite ain't it! ha ha ha

Bite was in flurrys not steady. We finally gave up and went back around to the frontside around noon and fished between Bird Rock and Ship Rock for no yellows (target) and very few bass and then came home. Arrived around 5:30pm

Nice day, nice group of guys to fish with and nice fishing if only we could use lighter line on those 10 pound fish!

JapanRon
[signature]