Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
decon a float tube or toon for muscles
[quote flygoddess]So, I do feel Utah is trying their best at controlling this problem.[/quote]

Utah is doing a pretty good job. They have kept the infestation to sand hollow from spreading. Yes it is a difficult job to do and they have done very well.
[signature]
I received a response from outcast. Maybe we can get TD or FG to put a sticky post up where we can post these responses for a quick and easy reference.
[signature]
Outcast response:

[#0000ff]"This is the first I've heard of this and I'm double checking with our engineers.
My biggest concern would be the pressure, not the heat. I would think that the person spraying them off would use common sense when spraying inflatable's vs. hard-shell boats. Hopefully they are careful when doing so and make sure the valves are closed.

It would be best to focus on the areas of PVC(Bottom) and not pack cloth. If they can do that, you should be just fine.

Thanks,

Mike Mather

Inside Sales"[/#0000ff]
[signature]
But that is a guess.
This 140 degree pressure wash is not going to work for inflatables, that is all there is to it.
They have not outlawed felt soles, shoe laces, and what about boat toys? Not going to happen. Ski and tie off ropes.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]I received a response from outcast. Maybe we can get TD or FG to put a sticky post up where we can post these responses for a quick and easy reference.[/quote]

[cool][#0000FF]If we can get something definitive...from a creditable source...I will sticky it at the top of the page.

I have never subjected any of my rides to the high temps and extreme pressure of the decontamination equipment. But I don't put my tubes in waters with known mussel problems either. Still, I do make an effort to clean and dry my gear just in case I do pick up hitchhikers.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, the only response I have received back is from outcast and it wasn't that great. I hope I hear from the others soon.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]If there was a free decontamination service nearby I would be tempted to take an old Fat Cat I no longer use and subject it to the process...just for giggles.

I really have difficulty believing that the decon would destroy an inflatable. 140 degrees is far below the melting point of any of the materials...over 400 degrees for the nylon cover and just under 200 degrees for vinyl (PVC) coatings. Those are the official numbers but I suspect the PVC covers on our float tubes are a compound that is even more heat resistant.

The main potential problem I could foresee would be overinflation of a fully inflated air chamber because of the sudden great heating. The nylon covers, stitching and PVC coatings should not suffer all that much.

But let's see if we can get an official statement from any of the manufacturers.

Wondering if Dave Scadden might have a response.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Jordanelle or deer creek should have a Decon unit. My understanding all the state parks have one.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah. I have been looking for a way to harass the boaters on Deer Creek. I'll just show up in a long line and claim to have had my tube on Powell last week. Then the boaters can wait for me to blast my tube...before they blast me with their bow wakes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
That's a good idea. Nothing like a little revenge.
[signature]
"Hey, you think you own the whole boat ramp?!?"
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000FF] an old Fat Cat I no longer use and subject it to the process...just for giggles.
[/#0000FF][/quote]
So how much you asking[Wink]
I'm still gunna come by one day and pick up my goodies.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000FF]If there was a free decontamination service nearby I would be tempted to take an old Fat Cat I no longer use and subject it to the process...just for giggles.

I really have difficulty believing that the decon would destroy an inflatable. 140 degrees is far below the melting point of any of the materials...over 400 degrees for the nylon cover and just under 200 degrees for vinyl (PVC) coatings. Those are the official numbers but I suspect the PVC covers on our float tubes are a compound that is even more heat resistant.

The main potential problem I could foresee would be overinflation of a fully inflated air chamber because of the sudden great heating. The nylon covers, stitching and PVC coatings should not suffer all that much.

But let's see if we can get an official statement from any of the manufacturers.

Wondering if Dave Scadden might have a response.
[/#0000FF][/quote]

I have posted the question for Dave, but this is show time so it could take awhile for answers.

I did ask Larry Tullis and he said there shouldn't be any problem

The covering on the boats are several layers of material including Kevlar and PVC. The problem with the heat could come in the glue that holds the add ons. Seams are welded. The pressure on the other hand could shred nylon and thread.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Not selling the backup craft. But might be willing to subject it to further abuse.

Your goodies are completed...and await your visit. They are patient.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Thanks for making the effort. It will be interesting to get Dave's informed response.

This seems to fall into the category of something in which we "hope for the best but expect the worst". Kind of like a blind date. Until manufacturers get involved in subjecting each of their models to an actual decontamination procedure...and carefully noting the effects...all of our fears are merely guesswork. Maybe we can put the "pressure" on them to either do the tests...or build their craft to be able to take the heat...and pressure. With the increase in IS contaminations and increased awareness among the various states, there is going to be more and more emphasis on preventative measures...like decontamination.

There is an old saying that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. That has got to be true of tubes and toons as well. Most of the components may be able to withstand the extremes of heat and pressure. But if there are any seams or adhesives that don't hold up we no longer have a functional fishing platform.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

I got a response from caddis.

"I am sorry, our float tubes have never been tested to hold up to a 140 degree temperature pressure wash.
If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Dina Glushenko
Caddis Sports, Inc.
Phone: (360) 891-6000 ext. 14
Fax: (360) 891-6563"
[signature]