Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Types of line
I've been researching different kinds of fishing line for this year. I have a 30# yellow braided line on now and haven't been catching much. I sometimes go canoeing or camping where I am limited on how much I can bring so was trying to figure out which type of line to choose. I fish for bass, muskie, northern, and walleye mostly. I read monofilament is best for topwaters baits, and flurocarbon for divers, ect. I like braided for the strength and people recommend adding a flurocarbon leader. Wondering what other people have used and if I should bring two reels with different lines on each one.
[signature]
What is the reason behind cloosing yellow braid? Braid is good stuff but I'm not sure if yellow makes a difference and 30 lb is likely over kill. I use 6, 10 or 12 pound test for just about all the fish I catch, up to 20 pound fish. Flurocarbon leader is always a good bet, also having some type of mono backing is worth while. Two reels are a good idea but you could also have two spools of different line for your reel. Of course that would only work if you are using a spinning reel.[Wink]
[signature]
What type of reel are you using? I use 12 lb mono on my bait art reel. Then I take and adjust how I fish for each species. 8 lb on my spinning reels.
[signature]
When bass fishing I use a 8lb braid for rods useing a single hook. Gives me more streghth to set the hook. 10lb mono or florocarbon for rods useing a lure with treble hooks, so they can strecth some what, and not pull the hook out. So I would take a spool of each depending on how I am going to rig up.
[signature]
I'm using a spinning reel. I chose the yellow braid for visibility but haven't been using a fluorocarbon leader or anything so I think fish see it pretty well too. I haven't used fluorocarbon line before so wanted to know if its worth putting it on a reel. I know it sinks and is the least visible of the lines.
Sounds like 30# braid was a bit overkill. So 8# braid is equivalent in diameter to 30# mono right?
[signature]
Other way around, my friend. Braid is a LOT smaller than mono per given line test.

On a spinning reel, your best options would be mono or braid. Some fluoro line works on spinning reels, but other kinds are a genuine PITA. I spool my heavy spinning reels with 8# to 12# braid with a 10-ft section of 8# fluoro as leader. That's more than needed but it allows me many re-ties before I have to replace the fluoro (when it gets to less than three feet).

I use 12# braid on my casting reels, again with a fluoro leader. Fluoro does sink, but I haven't noticed any problem even using floating lures.

If your reel spool holds a lot of line, feel free to wind on a mono "under shot" just to take up room and save you the cost of the somewhat expensive braid. I buy 200-yard spools of braid and can spool two reels using mono underneath.
[signature]
I personally have never used braid but reading this makes me want to go and try some out. Any recommendations? I use mainly spinning rods. I do have a couple of casting that I use for bass.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips- would I use a uni to uni knot when tying braid to fluorocarbon leader? Sounds like thats the route I going to go.
[signature]
A five-wrap uni-uni is what I use to join braid to fluoro. The uni supposedly doesn't hold well in braid (because braid is slick) but I've never had a uni-uni break or come loose on me. Perhaps it's the fluoro gripping the braid tightly - dunno.

Albinotrout, I don't have the spools for my braid, and I've forgotten what kind it is. Google "braid line review" and you'll get some good info.
[signature]
Use an Albright Special if you lack confidence in the Uni to Uni. I fish primarily for large offshore species, and my main gear is 65 lb power pro or suffix braid, and I albright on a strip of fluoro leader, bucktail at the end. You can look through my pics for reference if there is any doubt about how strong that knot is. I've landed 8' sharks on that very rig, knot never budged. [Tongue]
[signature]