Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My uncle's fishing rods just sitting
My uncle passed away about three years ago and has had these 6'6 two Ugly Stiks up on his wall forever. I wanted to start fishing this year (got my license and a car) and figured instead of buying one, why not try and use those? My aunt doesn't fish, so they would have just sat there and either been given away or thrown out.

They're old. I believe the 80s, but could be wrong. The rings have some rust/patina on them (pictures below).

Are those too damaged to be used, or can I clean them up? I'm aware that they're probably not the nicest things around, they have foam handles, but I think it'd be cool if I could get them in working condition.

Thanks for any advice/tips!

Sorry, the second picture isn't of great quality.
[signature]
First of all, welcome to the site.
I see nothing wrong with using you Uncle's rods. Ugly stick makes good rods but I have to ask, are there any reels attached to the rods? The reels could be a bigger issue. Just use some steel wool to clean up the eyelets and you should be good to go. Hope that helps.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks!

They both have reels, I removed them though.

"Penn 113 4/0 Senator One-Piece Graphite Frame" seems to be the maker/model on both reels. But also have some wear on them (pics below).

One of them was really messy and tangled, so I just removed the line. The one in the picture is still wound tight, though. And it reels in fine.
[signature]
Those are both great reels but they are trolling reels. If the rods match the rod, I would say the setup was used for trolling, your first pics looked like heavy rods. What kind of fishing do you plan on doing?
[signature]
Yeah, I believe he tuna fished with them. They both had holsters(?) like you'd have on a boat. Uploaded a full picture of them for ya.

I'd just be saltwater surf fishing, I live on the coast of Mass so I have a lot of options for it. So should I buy new reels for them?
[signature]
Oh, well you might have a problem with those rods, for surf fishing at least. I'm sure you could try them and you could even use those reels but they really aren't made for casting and they would be a pain in the butt to cast. Those reels have a big problem with backlash when casting, unless you really know what your doing. They should work if you were fishing off a pier but that rod and reel setup is really just for trolling.
[signature]
You're going to need a good spinning reel to cast into the surf. Check your local tackle shop, dicks sporting goods etc... They can recommend a good reel for you.
[signature]
Took your guys' advice and just decided to buy myself a new setup. I did some searching on Amazon and ended up spending 75$.

I'm still going to clean these ones up, give myself something to do while I wait for my delivery now, haha. I'll try using them off some bridges/piers. Maybe I can use them once I own a boat [Wink]

Thanks again for the info!
[signature]
Good job. The older rods will be a good project and most likely will turn out to be a good investment. The new rod will also bring great times as well. Keep us posted to how you do out on the water.[cool]
[signature]