Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor for Canoe?
Now that I have aquirred a canoe, I was wondering if any one had any ideas on what would be a good, but not to expensive type of motor that I could mount on the back of it? Don't need anything fancy or big, just somthing that could get around on the lakes.
[signature]
I have two canoes, one with a flat back. If you have the latter, most any used motor up to three horse will do nicely. Or the newer 5 horse model 4 stroke engine will work. it is lighter than the 2 strokes.

If you have the pointed variety model canoe you may want to stay with the electric model motor. You might be able to place a mount that will hold a 1.5 horse evenrude, but you are putting a lot of weight on the side and run in to many opportunities of flipping the canoe. (I am putting the in for our readers, I am sure you understand the limitations of canoes, otherwise you would not have purchased one)

Right now is a good time to hit the garage sales, a lot of Christmas presents are going on the auction block for lack of use this past summer. you know how Christmas presents go some time. lol

as for electric motors, I haven’t a clue which one is best. I would probably stay away form foot directional motors, they are nice in a larger boat where you sit high enough to really use it.

The hardest part of mounting the motor on the side is deciding which side do you want to mount it on. if you are right handed, and accustom to driving the row boat with the right hand, and you hold your pole with the right hand, you are in a kind of a pickle. me being that fishing is more important than driving, I would stick the mount on the left side of the boat, this way I can troll over my left shoulder, and if need be when I get a hit I can grab the motor with the left hand and throttle down.
[signature]
In addition to the type of motor that Davetclown mentioned, they also make small electric trolling motor that are set up for mounting on the bow of most boats and canoes. You can look those up at [url "http://www.cabelas.com"]www.cabelas.com[/url] .

Those are the prices for new ones but will give you a general idea as to what to look for in a second hand or (experienced) version. I hope that this info will help you. Happy Fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the infor, I apprciate it.
[signature]
TREAT THAT FLAT BACK LIKE GOLD !!!!
I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR AN ALUM. FLAT BACK , THERE NOWHERE TO BE FOUND , YOU'LL NEED IT FOR SOME OF THOSE RIVERS AT YOUR NEW PLACE .
A GOOD ELECTRIC MOTER IS THE MINKOTA 7 SPEED - FIVE FORWARD TWO REVERSE . I HAVE ONE , IT BROUGHT ME IN OFF LAKE ERIE AND THE DETROIT MANY A TIME WHEN THE 40 HORSE QUIT ON MY 17' SEAKING BOAT . GOT IT AT THE PAWN SHOP (ELEC. MOTOR ) FOR $75.00 . NEW IN BOX WITH THE STICKERS STILL ON IT AND THE PRICE TAG .
[signature]
Mine needs a new paint job and an new plug. It holds water well, I just think it is about time the plug is replaced, I havent had plug out in about 10 years. I gave it a paint job when I first got it, now the paint is pealing. when I got it it came with a 3 horse johnson.

that babby will cruse with a three horse.

getting it to tenn, me present a bit of a problem. I have two canoes and one row boat. If I manage to land a school buss, I wont have any problems.

I have been looking at the new fiberglass canoes, man you wanna talk about costin a perty penny,

I do like it, it handles nice, its perfect for scootin up and down the smaller rivers with a small electirc troller. I wouldnt put a gass on a smaller rivers...
[signature]
maybe what you could look into is a truck driver that heads down that way to pick up a load , put an ad in the paper or check with some of the local places , there's brokers that will do the same thing . you just have to have someone to unload the stuff there .
[signature]
[size 2]Sorry responding so late to post but if you put a motor on a float tube, canoe, kayak in alot of states you are requirred to register it.[/size]

[size 2] I would check with local DMV, DFG and/or USGS. My friend has a float tube and bought a motor and motor holder and now had to register and put #'s on it and it's an electric motor![/size]

[size 2] Crazy[crazy][/size]
[signature]
i think we also have that law and our fees go to the length of the craft and not it's make .

a 17 foot canoe can become quite expencive !

those flat back canoes , i think are called scanoes !
[signature]