Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor for Canoe?
I have two canoes, one with a flat back. If you have the latter, most any used motor up to three horse will do nicely. Or the newer 5 horse model 4 stroke engine will work. it is lighter than the 2 strokes.

If you have the pointed variety model canoe you may want to stay with the electric model motor. You might be able to place a mount that will hold a 1.5 horse evenrude, but you are putting a lot of weight on the side and run in to many opportunities of flipping the canoe. (I am putting the in for our readers, I am sure you understand the limitations of canoes, otherwise you would not have purchased one)

Right now is a good time to hit the garage sales, a lot of Christmas presents are going on the auction block for lack of use this past summer. you know how Christmas presents go some time. lol

as for electric motors, I haven’t a clue which one is best. I would probably stay away form foot directional motors, they are nice in a larger boat where you sit high enough to really use it.

The hardest part of mounting the motor on the side is deciding which side do you want to mount it on. if you are right handed, and accustom to driving the row boat with the right hand, and you hold your pole with the right hand, you are in a kind of a pickle. me being that fishing is more important than driving, I would stick the mount on the left side of the boat, this way I can troll over my left shoulder, and if need be when I get a hit I can grab the motor with the left hand and throttle down.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Motor for Canoe? - by FrozenFish - 11-16-2003, 09:51 PM
Re: [FrozenFish] Motor for Canoe? - by davetclown - 11-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Re: [davetclown] Motor for Canoe? - by lonehunter - 12-23-2003, 03:16 AM
Re: [lonehunter] Motor for Canoe? - by davetclown - 12-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Re: [davetclown] Motor for Canoe? - by lonehunter - 12-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Re: [FrozenFish] Motor for Canoe? - by tubeN2 - 11-17-2003, 03:11 AM
Re: [tubeN2] Motor for Canoe? - by FrozenFish - 11-17-2003, 06:25 AM
Re: [FrozenFish] Motor for Canoe? - by releaseit - 01-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Re: [releaseit] Motor for Canoe? - by lonehunter - 02-15-2004, 12:59 PM