Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Q] How to keep line from spiraling?
I tried searching this on here and google, but I guess I'm not wording it right so I really can't find what I'm looking for, so any help would be awesome!

My line always spirals and doesn't stay straight. So when I've got a line in the water, it just spirals and lays on the surface all the way back to my pole. I may be knew to fishing, but I know this isn't the way it's supposed to be. I realize it should be a straight line back to my pole that doesn't lay on the surface of the water.

I even bought my gf a pole from cabela's yesterday and the first cast with it, it did the same thing.

Does it have something to do with the knot I tie for my hook? How do I fix this problem?

Thank you for all your help.
[signature]
Welcome to the site sosinsurr. Did you buy your reels with the line on them already or did you put the line on yourself?
WH2
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Welcome to the site sosinsurr. Did you buy your reels with the line on them already or did you put the line on yourself?
WH2[/quote]

Line was already on all 3 of mine that I bought from Cabela's.
[signature]
There is a right way to spool line onto your reel, so it does not coil up. I'm surprised that Cabela's would not know the proper method but maybe they hired a newbie and they did a bunch wrong. Sorry but I've got to leave right now but try typing, "How to load line on a fishing reel", on Youtube and I'm sure you can fine what your looking for. Good luck.
WH2
[signature]
In case you did not find it on Youtube, here is a link to that info about line twist.
[signature]
Unfortunately monofilament has a memory. In other words if it is on a reel for a long time it has a tendency to twist easily or remain coiled after cast. All I can recommend is replacing the line with new. A lot of places will put cheap monofilament line on new reels. Go with one that has a better rating. It won't get rid of the line twist but can remedy and reduce it. I personally avoid the cheap $1-$2 spools and go with the little pricier stuff. I haven't had as many bad problems since I switched.
[signature]
#1 cause of memory, is cheap line. The stuff they spool the combo's with is not top shelf stuff, to say the least. Get a high quality mono, and go as light as you can. I've noticed over the years that the heavier the line test, the more susceptible to memory they are.
[signature]