Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
utah lake
the cats are moving in at utah lake american fork this was caught on half a bluegill.
[signature]
nice cat but im pretty sure you cant use gills for bait.[frown]
[signature]
That's a nice cat they sure do love to eat gills , but i always use whitebass
[signature]
it was released thanks for the info a friend sent me the photo it was caught wednesday.
[signature]
[cool][#0000FF]Big ol' daddy cat. Some of the biggest of the year are caught in early spring. Good to release them because they are not as good for eating and they are prime spawners.

Not nearly as many big males as females. But that is okay because each big male takes control of a good nesting site and then coaxes in a number of females. Each of the females lays only a few eggs in each nest. That helps insure both spreading the genes around and helps prevent potential nest failure by "putting all their eggs in one basket."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
hey i could care less just a heads up. i learned that a few years back, still a hog
[signature]
going down there sat or sunday.[reply][/reply]
[signature]
Beast!
[signature]
Wonderful catfish! But I'm jusy as interested in where and how your buddy caught the bluegill.[Wink]
[signature]
I believe you used some illegal bait. You can't use bluegills as bait.

In utah lake you can only use white bass, carp, utah suckers and perch I believe that's all. Might want to read the proc again >_< but that's one amazing Kitty!!!
[signature]
No to sucker meat in the lake also.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I'm talking about Utah sucker that are legal to use bait not June sucker.
[signature]
Well we could have used that in the contest last year LOL! Nice fish!
[signature]
caught the bluegill in the same harbor on a float and a small hook.but the big fish is back in the water.
[signature]
[#0000FF][cool]YOU had better read the proclamation. NO suckers may be possessed or used as bait in Utah Lake...just because SOME folks can't tell the difference in species.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It's easy to tell which is which for me. One got a lip that face down to bottom feed and one is more of a normal mouth that feels on insect, minnows and plankton. HA HA HA

Let's make a program too teach everyone which one is a utah sucker and which one is a june sucker [angelic]
[signature]
good thing he let her go them i did not know either that's whats cool about the forum thank's for the info.
[signature]
Ya no problem. I see tons of young kids and teens using bluegills at ponds to use to catch tons of catfish but I wish I the phone number to the poacher hotline. [Wink]
[signature]
Quote:• Dead mountain sucker, white sucker, Utah sucker, redside shiner, speckled dace, mottled sculpin, fathead minnow, Utah chub and common carp may be used as bait in any water where bait is permitted.

Utah Lake, Utah County
• Limit 6 bass, only 1 may be over 12 inches.
• No limit on northern pike. Anglers must not release any northern pike they catch. All northern pike must be immediately killed.
• All suckers must be immediately released.

Hmmmm.

Can't see where it says that you can't use sucker meat at Utah Lake. Gotta release them if'n ya catch one. But if it's frozen and filleted? Maybe that ought to be addressed in the next guidebook.
[signature]
Nice cat. Good thing the contest hasn't started ! (measure?)

Check the regs on bait and such. Always wondered why ice-perch eyes were, ok, but gills - not so much. Perch meat - sometimes yet, don't know that Gills are allowed anywhere... I could (again) be wrong.

Know UT-law doesn't care for wiggly bait on a hook, much a shame as it is . . .