Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South end Powell / stripers
We did one of those "spur of the moment" trips to Powell on Saturday. Dad called Friday and said "we should go to Powell", so we hit the road at 5:30 a.m. Met up with W2U in Kanab at almost 8. Arrived at Wahweap at a little after 8. and headed towards Antelope. We found our wall, and started chumming. It took about 15 minutes to get the stripers up, but once they came we were able to consistently catch fish. Well, most of us. W2U struggled a little bit early on -- the little kids were outfishing him, and that was making him a little ornery. But once he figured it out he caught his fair share of stripers too!

We ended up taking a boat rid to the back of Navajo Canyon as well. We could pick up a few fish trolling and casting -- not nearly as fast as chumming, but it was still worth it. After beaching the boat and fileting our fish (the fish cleaning station at Wahweap is currenlty out of service) we headed back out to the "power in-take" to finish of the last of our bait.

Between the 6 of us (4 adults and 2 kids) I'm positive we boated over 100 stripers. It sure was a fun day of fishing!

[Image: IMAG0661_zps64a2a00c.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0665_zps7726e899.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0014_zpsbc4fb3ea.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0011_zps5da16c07.jpg]
[signature]
Looks like a heck of a day for fishing. Glad everybody got into them. Looks like they were decent sized.
[signature]
Nice! Couldn't talk the lost sheep in Vegas to come up? We hit Powell this weekend as well and had a blast.
[signature]
I imagine he would have come too, had there been room in the boat! Space is limited...
[signature]
admit it, only reason you went was to get your boat wet!

heading down in 18 days myself
[signature]
[quote kochanut]admit it, only reason you went was to get your boat wet!

[/quote]

The conversation went a bit like this when dad called me at work Friday afternoon:

Dad: I'm bored. Mom's out of town.
me: yeah? So what've you got on your mind?
Dad: you know, the weather is supposed to be really nice tomorrow...
me: yep. Good day to do some yard work.
Dad: you know that the fishing at Powell has been really good...
me: yep. You thinking we need to run down to Wahweap tomorrow?
Dad: if you want to we could....

I was glad he called. He didn't have to twist my arm.
[signature]
And here I thought you had forgotten how to make a fishing report[Wink], thanks for sharing your report and pics, looks like fun was had by all and that boat don't look to bad as well[cool]. Did you catch any eyes or crappie?
[signature]
Sweet boat!
[signature]
Looks like a blast!
[signature]
How are they for eat'n?

We've done the spring chum'n and 100 fish days on a couple of occasions, but them stripers just seem to always turn out mushy and pretty poor table fare.

Any adivice or input?
[signature]