Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More IF's
If you could have ONE fly tying material (feathers, wire, dubbing, etc) and two different hooks to survive stillwater or moving and you have the thread, what would you choose and what would you make?
[signature]
Marabue ( if I spelled that right ) for some Wollys!
[signature]
Would this be more than one color and kind of this material or just one specific kind and color?

For hooks I'd choose gamakatsu r10 b retainer hooks I love these hooks!! And for the other just your stander down eyed streamer hook.
[signature]
One material, but it could be in different colors for you to use. This is a survival thing, so this would be what feeds you.
[signature]
Okay probably rabbit fur! Leeches, and u could use it for dubbing for nymphs and such.
[signature]
1.Two big streamer hooks
2.Strong thread
3.Dubbing

First I would bend the hooks straight.. Use the thread to attach them to a long stick. Stab a bunch of fish then use the dubbing to start a fire.

You said its about survival right?[Wink]
[signature]
Pheasant Tail
[signature]
Survival? That's a tough one, and would have to be wet.

Now just to fish for a season for enjoyment, it would probably be a grizzly neck. I could do so many things with hackle fibers, the webbing, the stem, and the whole feather itself wrapped/trimmed as hackle or the whole feather tied in. If I could have other colors, then for sure its a slam dunk for a rooster neck.

Then I'd catch and kill a duck so I could get some CDC! I have some flies I fish that are made up entirely of CDC, so I could survive a summer of fun with that too. I can match nearly any hatch with flies tied entirely with CDC. The hook, of course, would be an Orvis Big Eye dry fly. #16 if only one size. #14 for a second size.

Now you got me thinking, neck or CDC? The neck would probably make more types of flies and more durable ones. Quill bodies galore. But the CDC makes better imitations and floats without help. Upon further review, the neck would probably make more patterns and be more durable.

With either, I'd tie caddis adults, caddis emergers, mayfly adults and emergers, and adult stone flies. To "survive", I'd just fish those tied with hackle wet, and clip everything to make it a nymph or soft hackle with the webby part of the feather. CDC makes killer ants and beetles, all by itself, just the feathers. It can be made to sink if rubbed with enough mud.

Give me both and that's all I need!

But back to the original question, forget the rabbit after all. I can do more with a neck. Yes, I could live on trout if I had hooks, thread, and a grizzly neck!
[signature]
Very good what if. I think i would go with Maribou. I think you could get preety creative in making some all Maribou flies. For hooks i think a smaller streamer hook and a size 16 nymph hook. This almost makes me want to try it.
[signature]
1. Streamer Hook
1. Jig Hook
1. Marabou

-Bugger variants, sinch the marabou down in clumps for the body keep the tail like normal
-Finely chop up the marabou for dubbing

Jig Hook & marabou = marabou jigs great for ice fishing.

Melt the lead from the Jig Hook to make ammo, pull out your 30-06, kill some real food [cool]
[signature]
[#502800]Simi-Seal (my blend) and down eye streamer hook, to tie a leech. You can have the other hook.[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[#502800]By the way, what are you tying in Idaho?[/#502800]
[#502800][/#502800]
[signature]