Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stewart's Point, Lake Mead Report
[center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Lake Mead Fishing Trip November 16, 2003[/size][/font] [/center] [left]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Well the morning started out overcast and rainy in Las Vegas. I took a look at the forecast and it said it would lift in a couple of hours. I was going to meet a new member for the board today. I called Southernman to make sure he was coming and said he was. We were planning to go fishing to Stewarts Point on Lake Mead. As we traveled to the Overton area we would have to pass Valley of Fire State Park. This drive goes through some of the most breathtaking and magnificent sandstone formations in the state of Nevada. We finally arrived at Stewart’s Point. I have been there twice before but never have gone fishing here. You really get a prospective how low the lake is. Lake Mead National Recreational Area Park Service said as of September 30th it has dropped 84 feet with the lake at 72% capacity. Check out this site below. [/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][url "http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/2003/0820lakemead.html"][font "Times New Roman"][#800080][size 3]http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/topstory/2003/0820lakemead.html[/size][/#800080][/font][/url]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]As we continued I recognized where you used to launch a small boat. It was farther down now. I think we drove about a quarter of a mile further when we finally got to the shoreline. This was amazing to see a different prospective of this majestic lake. [/size][/font]

[/left][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: lmft012.jpg][/center] [center]View towards Stewart's Point[/center] [center]

SM found a nice place to fish and we got setup waiting for our new friend nu2fishagain to arrive. I called him on my cell phone and found out he was almost there. While waiting for him to arrive we started fishing. I got setup to try my hand at some catfish while SM tried for strippers.

[Image: lmft003.jpg]
Southernman[/center] [left]

I started with some stink bait while SM was using anchovies. A shot time later nu2fishagain showed up. He brought his daughter alone. We introduced each other and started fishing again. Fishing wasn’t too first-rate today. We tried everything to catch fish although it wasn’t our day. We saw one guy catching small catfish off the point where we were. Like nu2fishagain said maybe our anchovies were too big for the fish. The fish this guy was getting were real small ones. After trying almost everything in our tackles boxes we came up short. We tried anchovies, shrimp, stink bait, worms, lures, poppers, etc…

[Image: lmft015.jpg][/size][/font] [/left] [center]Shaun nu2fishagain and Grandson[/center] [left]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I still had a great time getting away from Las Vegas. I enjoyed watching my grandson play on the new beach the lake had formed with nu2fishagain daughter carrying a bag of BBQ chip that he gave him. It was hilarious, cause he wouldn’t let it go. [/size][/font][/left] [center][Image: lmft002.jpg][/center]

We finally called it quits and started to pack up and leave. I felt real bad about suggesting this place and not catching anything. That’s Lake Mead for you. SM and nu2fishagain went the shoreline road while we went to Overton, Nevada. We stopped at my favorite little ice-cream parlor there in town. I asked the waitress where I could find the old town of St. Thomas. See gave me a map and told me I would need to go back to the Valley of Fire road and turn left instead. St. Thomas is the small Mormon town of 500 that was covered by the increasing waters of Lake Mead. St. Thomas is normally about 50 feet below the surface of the lake. The town is fully exposed so we decided to take a little hike there. I was told you could see the homes but had a hard time pinpointing the location. I finally saw what looked like a white long stone sticking skywards out of the salt cedars. [center][Image: lmft022.jpg][/center] [center]View from Cliff overlooking St. Thomas[/center]

This must be it so we started hiking towards it. As we approached the stone we found the old asphalt road that lead us to an old cement building.

[Image: lmft057.jpg] [center]Asphalt Road[/center]

[Image: lmft033.jpg] [center]Cement Building[/center]

Almost completely intact except to the adjacent building with no roof and the well next to it still full of water. The windows almost completely buried in the sand.

[Image: lmft034.jpg] [center]Well[/center]

We continued along a path that had been made when we saw the tree stumps still standing. I remember a friend telling me as a kid he would tie off to these trees when he went fishing in this area. I wonder if he knew at that time there was an old town directly below him.

[Image: lmft045.jpg] [center]School House[/center]

We finally got to the stone to simply discover it was a chimney from the old school house that once educated school kids years ago. As I look in all directions I could see where there once was a fence line that continued east into the lake. The new shoreline was only a few hundred yards south of us. To the north we could see an old car buried in the mud with more tree stumps sticking up. I wondered how it might have been the last days of this old town as the last resident refused to leave to only be rescued out of his home by means of a boat. I remember reading an article about man named Hugh Lord. His gravestone reads, “Last man to leave St. Thomas”. He had my same last name. I wonder if we were related?

[Image: lmft054.jpg]

We stated awhile and took many pictures until it was time to go. It was getting dark so we needed to head back. I would suggest if anyone wants to see this old town I would suggest to do it soon because the salt cedars will soon cover them up. As we headed for home saw both my son and grandson fast asleep. What a wonderful day it had been meeting new friends and enjoying the company of Southernman, nu2fishagain, his daughter, my son and grandson.

I want to thank everyone for coming out and went fishing. I had a great time and hope to do it again. Just don't ask me to pick the next location Hee Hee. Just Kidding
[signature]
great report as usual nighthawk, we'll get 'em next time, now lets go camping at commins lake and catch some trout!

sm
[signature]
You guys are awesome. That was a good report. I might think of joining you guys someday soon. Keep up the good work and we'll see ya soon.
[signature]
wow, its changed a bit, hasnt it! hey muskyman, i'd like to invite you to join the board here - its free to register - and we have a lot of fun and prizes too! might just meet some new fishin buddies, i have !

thanks

[cool]

sm
[signature]