Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to avoid accidental hook ups?
I've just started nymphing with 2 nymphs. And numerous times i have hooked into a fish on it's sid or on a fin. I've read where as you become more experienced with this method it doesn't happen as much. But i'm not doing anything different than what a seasoned nympher would do. I see the indicator go down and set the hook. Does anyone have tips on advoiding it if possible. I'd rather not even catch a fish.
[signature]
Try lowering the strike indicator further down your line. That will give quicker detection's there's a strike
[signature]
It's all about timing... The fish will spit that hook super fast so as soon as you see any action on that Indy, even if it doesn't go all the way under set that hook! Your foul hooking it because your setting just right after the fly was spit. Give it time and you will see improvement. At least your catching em! +1 on lowering the Indy, not alot maybe just a few inches or so
[signature]
This may be shocking or revolutionary to many, but you CAN catch trout with one fly on the end of a leader. In fact, I've never fished with two flies on one leader in my life, not even the famed and beloved "hopper-dropper." Yes, it can be done. Imagine that, one fly, catching trout after trout, in the mouth.[sly]
[signature]
Two flies, catch two fish at a time, after time, after time.[Smile]
Nothing wrong with using three, which many do now. Personal choice.
I agree with Tyler on a timing thing. I always fish two flies, and if I have snagged, it is very few, as I can't remember snagging a trout.
[signature]
Of course it can be done but one fly is just so boring... Why not target different depths of water and imitate different bugs? Especially if you aren't sure what they are eating that day, give em options! It dramatically increases my hook up and I'm out there to catch fish so I'm all about it. I may even use a San Juan worm! (Gasp!) I know shocking [Tongue]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Two flies, catch two fish at a time, after time, after time.[Smile]
Nothing wrong with using three, which many do now. Personal choice.
I agree with Tyler on a timing thing. I always fish two flies, and if I have snagged, it is very few, as I can't remember snagging a trout.[/quote] I'm yet to pick up two fish on both flies, how cool would that be!?
[signature]
Ask Kochanut about our last trip together at Strawberry. He had to help me net the Cutt on one hook while I landed the Rainbow on the other. Both were legal size.[Wink]
[signature]
it was pretty badass, i thought i had pics of us landing both of the fish but they must be on Fishin_Gals camera/photobucket.
[signature]
Here was the Cutt (on the smaller fly)
[Image: IMG_1254.jpg]

Here was the Rainbow
[Image: IMG_1248.jpg]
[signature]
How cool is that! Probably felt like you had a monster on the line...
[signature]
LMAO You could say that. These guys heard me for sure. At first I just thought the Bow was following as the way a rig puts the littler fly first. The bow took a big ol' Brown crayfish pattern I tie.
[signature]
Assuming you're talking about streams you should at least understand the tradeoffs of two ( or three) flies versus one. One fly will act more naturally for a much longer period of time than two under most situations. One fly casts more accurately. One fly doesn't need to be adjusted for various depths and flows of water that you may make from the same spot on successive casts not to mention the next run. Utah has very little big water with long stretches of similar water conditions that make 2 flies worth bothering with once you learn how to fish a single fly well. When you have a good presentation and a little understanding of what they're likely to eat you don't even worry about whether you picked the right fly. I know just adding more flies and hoping you can get a bite somewhere with something may seem like a good idea. However it doesn't mean you're catching more or bigger fish in all situations than if you started to be proficient with a single fly.
[signature]
Very well written Riverdog. I will agree moving water can be more challenging with multi hooks and a lot to take into account as you have posted.
Do I think you need to learn with one first? No. but again, that is my opinion and the many newbies I have fished with..
And again, I feel by tying off the bend of a hook does hamper the natural drift of that lead fly. Tags on the other hand coupled with tying the fly using a loop does open up all sorts of free movement.
Three flies is something else however. Two flies are easy to control, but for some reason, that third one is scary.[Tongue]

I have been fishing rivers exclusively this year and the Provo River bounce and a Thingamabobber when fishing multi flies is pretty easy.

Go with what works for you, and wait till you hear about a wash line style[Wink]
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Assuming you're talking about streams you should at least understand the tradeoffs of two ( or three) flies versus one. One fly will act more naturally for a much longer period of time than two under most situations. One fly casts more accurately. One fly doesn't need to be adjusted for various depths and flows of water that you may make from the same spot on successive casts not to mention the next run. Utah has very little big water with long stretches of similar water conditions that make 2 flies worth bothering with once you learn how to fish a single fly well. When you have a good presentation and a little understanding of what they're likely to eat you don't even worry about whether you picked the right fly. I know just adding more flies and hoping you can get a bite somewhere with something may seem like a good idea. However it doesn't mean you're catching more or bigger fish in all situations than if you started to be proficient with a single fly.[/quote] very true... However I find that it takes more skill to throw 2 flies nymphing rather than one. Any one can use one fly but I believe to get a perfect drift and make it look natural that it is much harder with 2 flies... Just my humble opinion! But I will agree 2 flies aren't necessary but to me it's a " why the hell not" situation.
[signature]
Last summer I actually got a double on two dries. It was freaking awesome. I would never have believed that was possible. It was On the Ogden right below the Oaks, the fish were keyed in on a PMD hatch. I tied on a #14 adams in front of a #18 pmd. The adams was just to help me spot my pmd. Whatching two trout rise for my flies at the same time was pretty neat. The fish weren't that big, 12 to 14 inch range. I thought there was no way I would net both fish, but I did. They kind of fought against each other more than they fought me. It was a neat experience I will never forget.

On a seperate note sometimes fishing two flies isn't always about trying to catch fish on both. Sometimes that lead fly is used for a strike indicator wet or dry. Sometimes its there just to attract fish to your target fly. Any way you use multiple flies I personally prefer it over one fly.
[signature]
[quote fishinfudd]Last summer I actually got a double on two dries. It was freaking awesome. I would never have believed that was possible. It was On the Ogden right below the Oaks, the fish were keyed in on a PMD hatch. I tied on a #14 adams in front of a #18 pmd. The adams was just to help me spot my pmd. Whatching two trout rise for my flies at the same time was pretty neat. The fish weren't that big, 12 to 14 inch range. I thought there was no way I would net both fish, but I did. They kind of fought against each other more than they fought me. It was a neat experience I will never forget.

On a seperate note sometimes fishing two flies isn't always about trying to catch fish on both. Sometimes that lead fly is used for a strike indicator wet or dry. Sometimes its there just to attract fish to your target fly. Any way you use multiple flies I personally prefer it over one fly.[/quote]

Totally believe that. I have used an attractor and a nymph, and they kept hitting the nymph. so I too the attractor off. Then it turned off, put it back on and there they were. Maybe it was the attraction, or maybe that fly and the drag just put the nymph in the right zone.
[signature]
That bug gets me every time ha ha
[signature]
I think those are both cutties but still cool!!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess][quote fishinfudd]Last summer I actually got a double on two dries. It was freaking awesome. I would never have believed that was possible. It was On the Ogden right below the Oaks, the fish were keyed in on a PMD hatch. I tied on a #14 adams in front of a #18 pmd. The adams was just to help me spot my pmd. Whatching two trout rise for my flies at the same time was pretty neat. The fish weren't that big, 12 to 14 inch range. I thought there was no way I would net both fish, but I did. They kind of fought against each other more than they fought me. It was a neat experience I will never forget.

On a seperate note sometimes fishing two flies isn't always about trying to catch fish on both. Sometimes that lead fly is used for a strike indicator wet or dry. Sometimes its there just to attract fish to your target fly. Any way you use multiple flies I personally prefer it over one fly.[/quote]

Totally believe that. I have used an attractor and a nymph, and they kept hitting the nymph. so I too the attractor off. Then it turned off, put it back on and there they were. Maybe it was the attraction, or maybe that fly and the drag just put the nymph in the right zone.[/quote] +1 I find in dirtier water like the weber, that a big attractor fly such as a prince or pt will add the "flash" and get the attention of the fish just in time as the dropper floats by...
[signature]